Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Practicing various carries

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by StrSam, Dec 6, 2019.

1. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    So I recently had my prmc this week (and passed!) But I super struggled with the partner Carries -Things like the firemans carry, partner drags etc. I can bodyweight squat for days, but those exercises smashed me to bits.
    Is there any way to practice these exercises without a partner? Or atleast a similar leg endurance exercise with a similar output? Any advice would be appreciated

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. stringer98

stringer98 Guest

weighted squats

3. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @StrSam

Firstly, congratulations on passing PRMC! You must be proud!

To preface, I’m still in the application stage, so I can’t speak from experience.
    I did, however, study sports science at university, so I’m perhaps somewhat qualified to advise (take with a large pinch of salt). -nailbiting-

I would imagine carries involve a lot of leg and lower back strength / endurance...

Walking lunges seem to be a pretty good one for leg endurance.

If you’re lucky enough to have acces to a sled at your local gym, I’d imagine pushing that around with a body-weights-amount of plates on it would help, as it perhaps closely resembles the movement pattern!

Just a thought though! I’m sure the PTI’s will be able to offer a better insight than me!

Good luck with RT!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Surely there must be a member of anyone's family to accompany you down the local park and be carried, drag and physically abused, (in the nicest possible way), for 30 minutes. We have had one potential on here who took his Mother to the park and carried and dragged her around for a session.

The lesson is KIS, (Keep It Simple), practice what you will be doing. There's really no need for complicated physical solutions, just do what you will be doing on the day.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
  5. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    :D:D:D

6. physiomum

physiomum Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I was that mother:D:D

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 5
  7. Canty95

Canty95 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Mate how horrible are them drags them backwards Carry’s are disgusting on the calf’s and so mentally draining! I’m just going to practice more and do some weighted leg sessions

8. anon1234

anon1234 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Obviously with a partner is the closest solution, it most closely replicates an actual fireman's carry because a person is actually on your back!

However some alternatives I have used/thought of are:
    - Using a strongman sandbag filled up with 70kg of sand.
    - Using a weighted backpack and running 200m asap to somewhat replicate a fireman's carry for 200m.
    - Holding a heavy dumbbell on one shoulder whilst running.

Otherwise standard strength training can help because that improves ability to bear load. So back squats, goblet squats, farmer's carries, hex bar deadlifts, all useful.

But make sure to rest between sessions to let your body recovery, only 1-2 sessions per week of strength/carries are necessary because any more might be too much for your bones, tendons... to adapt to.

Hopefully I've provided a few new suggestions there and I'm always looking for others ideas too because those carries are horrendous.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lawman

Lawman Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Honestly the carries and drags are there to hurt, but yeh just volunteer your mum for an afternoon in a cold field, mine weights about 100 pounds wet so would be no good to me but wish I had that option.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  10. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Same boat!