Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Pre application training

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by KW159, Jun 14, 2019.

1. KW159

KW159 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi lads,

I'm currently 12 months away from starting my application. In a previous post it was recommended that I work to improve my general fitness levels until closer to a PRMC. After reading some other posts and the advice given, I have just joined a running club and also started incorporating some low impact cardio such as swimming/cycling/elliptical etc. I'm making great CV gains and really enjoying being away from the whole bodybuilding mindset I had previously.

However, I'm not sure how to structure any muscular endurance/strength training especially as I'm so far away from a PRMC. From my understanding I don't want to peak too early? Is it simply a matter of banging out pull ups, press ups and sit ups for a year and maintaining or should I be waiting till I'm closer to maximise my scores? Am I just overthinking training? If someone could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    You have come to the right place and will get a wealth of information on tap. With your timescales you don’t have to rush anything and can build a really solid base of fitness. Good luck and listen to the advice that will follow

• Like Like x 2
  3. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The bold there is amazing advice, I wish I'd listened to when I first started trying to build my fitness. Don't destroy your body in haste basically.

4. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

There is a fitness plan written by @arny01 which has seen many lads pass PRMC, well worth a follow!

In fact, if @arny01 had published it he would probably have made a small fortune by now!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

First things first though, you have to pass your PJFT, which means getting on a treadmill. Make sure you incorporate that element into your programme until you can pass it with ease.

Alan

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. KW159

KW159 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks everyone.

I'll keeps things nice and steady, last thing I want is an injury. @MumtoRM yep, got @arny01 plan printed off and ready for when I'm closer to a PRMC!

@Caversham Thanks for the reminder, I definitely do need to start incorporating some treadmill training, definitely overlooked it recently. Going to get a gym membership soon and crack on with it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ConnorManc

ConnorManc New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I wouldn't worry about peaking before PRMC mate, you can ALWAYS be fitter, and from what I've heard from everyone that's been through RT you'll wish you were.. If you can make the test day as easy as possible you'll find the bottom field and endurance course more "comfortable" if that's the right word :D Then from there you're in a better position for the 32 weeks.

Hope this helps pal and good luck with the training!

8. KW159

KW159 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sorry for late reply.
    That helps a lot mate, thank you. I'm definitely overthinking training and just need to crack on with it. Seeing massive improvements already although still got a long way to go!

• Like Like x 1