pre prmc tomorrow

Chris92

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm kinda worried about it because i think my press ups will let me down the most. Every time i push myself to do more they all get sloppy. Any of you fellas have any advice on how to improve them?
this is what i can do so far:

3 miler: 21.41 (could improve a little)
Press ups: 40 (2 mins)
Pull ups: 7
Sit ups: 57 (2 mins)
do you guys think that is ok considering i'm 16 tomorrow?

Like i said my press ups let me down quite a bit so any advice would be appreciated guys!

Chris.

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty good for a 16 year old, think i was somewhere along those lines at that age, minus the running *text deleted*, but i was 2 stone lighter. Press ups seem to be the hardest, nothing you can do but stick with them, do the training regimes and push yourself to the max. But its hard to tell if you've stopped growing yet and its easier to gain strength and muscle when your older, sadly i stopped when i was 16 so im short ass. If you've got more to do then i guess you'll find it easier to improve, not much you can do in the short term, just keep doing sets everyday and practise holding the different pressup positions for lengths of time.
I read somewhere, can't remember where, about Bruce Lee i think, who used to do lots of static holds to build up strength, plus he did lots of the body weight exercises, builds strength but not mass, so he was a strong mofo but also really fast :D

Boataimer

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
to be honest mate if youve got your prmc tomorrow theres nowt you can then really do about your pressups now. if anything you should be resting today to make sure your fresh as possible for prmc.

as longs as you look like you want it more than anything and do well in all the other areas then you should be fine with those pressup/situps stats, i think people on here have passed with less.

saying that i havent been on prmc yet so feel free to tell me to sod off and stop preaching *text deleted*.

anyway good luck fella, remember, it might be the hardest thing youve ever done but dont give up at any point. keep your head down, be mentally strong and just get through it and im sure you will be rewarded at the end with a pair of boots and a naff t-shirt!!

Chris92

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i am still growing and thats what i think is stopping me from building muscle because use all the protein i take in on growing and only a small amount goes onto muscle growth and i think it will let me down tomorrow:sad2:
i'll give holding the press up position a go and see how long i can last.

Cheers bud:shakehands:

Chris92

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
this is the pre prmc tomorrow its the same as a prmc at lympstone but you don't do gym test 2 and the assault course. i'll tell you how it goes tomorrow once i have done it

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah be good to hear how it went. But yeh as Grimesy said, if you are going to be doing exercise tomorrow then id just take it easy today, you could do pushups all day today and won't benefit you tomorrow, you'd just be going with tired muscles, not good.
Anyway have fun :)

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
although the fact that you're still growing will hinder you gaining upper body strength, your age means your body reacts to training a lot quicker than if you were older and your recovery times should be quicker, as mrdanie said just stick at it mate. good luck!

Chris92

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i'll post something in here tomorrow afternoon and tell you guys how it went!
i honestly can't wait for it to be honest!

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You'll be fine, I only got 36 pushups on my RMAD.

Not much you can do to get more reps now but just make sure you're doing them correctly or you'll be in for a surprise.

And the 3 miler could do with a good bit of improvement, you should be looking for around 19 mins. :)

GL.

Chris92

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i was getting used to distance for a bit and that was my first real serious attempt at it.
its all going to be different tomorrow.

Chris92

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys i did my pre prmc yesterday and i'm am feeling it today!

i said i would post something about how it went so here it is guys.

when we got there we got a short brief on what we would be doing on the day and we also watched a video about the RMR and how they work. Then we got taken down to the gym for a warm up, the usual running around and stretching lark. then came the bleep test..i found this particularly difficult because the CD messed up half way through and we had to start from a higher level.

Next came the Royal Marines Fitness Assessment(Press ups, sit ups and pull ups)
because we moved straight from the bleep test to the assessments we were all pretty tired and some people did ok but the majority got between 30-40 press ups. The next assessment was the sit ups, we had to do 85 and i went at a good steady pace and got 70 one of the top in the group. the final gym assessment was the pull ups. i found this particularly easy and managed to do 8 in total and most others got between 3-6 and some others got more.
After that we were told to get a shower and meet back in the gym for some scran. every one had a bit of a crack on with each other and it was good. we only got 25 mins for dinner and then we had to do the 3 mile run(1.5 squad, 1.5 mile best effort). the squad run was a piece of *text deleted* but i found the second 1.5 mile hard and i had a pretty bad stitch too which made it difficult.
by this time every one was wrecked and then we had to do 50 star jumps.(you were told not to wipe the sweat off your face and loads of people did)
at the end of the day we were addressed by the colonel and he saying stuff like how hard it is but the rewards are great if you stick it out and various other things like that.

if any one gets the opportunity to go on one of these RMAD/ pre prmc days then i would seriously recommend it to you because it gives you a good idea of where you are with fitness and it is a good in site on how the Royal Marines and the RMR work!
If you think you have worked your t*ts off do a bit more because you will struggle to keep up, and it is quite a shock to the system if you haven't done anything like that before, because it sure was to me!!

goldenboyz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i am still growing and thats what i think is stopping me from building muscle because use all the protein i take in on growing and only a small amount goes onto muscle growth and i think it will let me down tomorrow:sad2:
i'll give holding the press up position a go and see how long i can last.

Cheers bud:shakehands:

you dont want muscle growth mate, you need muscular strength and endurance for these things