Pre-Run Breakfast

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
What's the best things to eat/drink on a morning before running or training?
My current schedule goes get up, have porrage and fruit with milk, and a pint of water, I wait an hour for my food to settle then off I go.
Unsure about whether I'm getting all the carbs etc I need, any suggestions?

P.S I'm also trying to gain wait, current wait is 9st

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
What's the best things to eat/drink on a morning before running or training?
My current schedule goes get up, have porrage and fruit with milk, and a pint of water, I wait an hour for my food to settle then off I go.
Unsure about whether I'm getting all the carbs etc I need, any suggestions?

P.S I'm also trying to gain wait, current wait is 9st
Carbs wise you are spot on, oats are great slow release "complex" carbs.

I would recommend you get some protien in as well, milk realistically doesn't have anywhere near enough if weight gain is a goal of yours.

Pint of water is also good, lots of people forget this but re-hydrating your body first thing in the morning works wonders, I find anyway.

If you are running soon after, scrambled eggs don't lie too heavy in the stomach and are speedy to make so convinient too.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks I'll give the scambled eggs a go
I usually come back and have some beans on toast with an egg fried in extra virgin olive oil, so I get some protein from eggs afterwards, but I could just do some scrambled eggs on their own with my porrage I guess.
how many eggs would you usually have?

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
3-6 depending on how much you want to eat.

Add a dash of milk to the eggs when whisking them and they'll remain nice and moist through cooking.

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks I'll give the scambled eggs a go
I usually come back and have some beans on toast with an egg fried in extra virgin olive oil, so I get some protein from eggs afterwards, but I could just do some scrambled eggs on their own with my porrage I guess.
Usually 3 or 4 but probabaly only 2 if I am going running 1 hour later.

If you are looking to gain weight and are eating eggs often it may be worth ditching one of the yolks as the ammount of fat in them, although small, will build up if you eat them regularly. And you don't want to be putting on any unecassary weight (too much fat).

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a skinny little man boy though so maybe I could do with a little fat
My BFP is 7.5% haha

I mean it's good fats in yolk anyway, no trans or saturates
or very little saturates

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a skinny little man boy though so maybe I could do with a little fat
My BFP is 7.5% haha

I mean it's good fats in yolk anyway, no trans or saturates
or very little saturates
:amazed: 7.5!?!?! Skinny man-boy indeed! Fair enough my friend go for it, chug them eggs.

Not particularly bad fats no, all natural.

Im guessing your 19ish by the username. What's your traning program like?

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Not really bothered about times after eating, just eat get some water have a warm up and get going. Not going to get 1-2 hours after eating in lympstone. Just get used to cramming food down and going out for a run half hour after.

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm doing 4 or 5 runs a week, I've only just started again in the last month so *text deleted* they're ranging from 2 1/2- 4 miles, I'm slowly increasing the distance and my times are getting better.
About 4 circuits a week, I've got my own full body circuit and other than that I do a mixture of the '100 push ups' and '200 situps', eg i'll do 5 sets of pushups totaling about 100 pushups then another 5 sets of sit ups totaling about 120 sit ups, i'll be starting on the pull ups soon when I get a pull up bar, as there's nothing to do them on in my house.

Any suggestions?

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I believe the whole 'don't eat too many yolks' is rubbish. One should always eat the whole egg.

The white and the yolk of an egg contain different BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acid) profiles, which when eating together, compliment each other nicely.

(BCAAs are essential to muscle development, recovery and performance. Once ingested, they are used to create proteins that will fuel muscle development/recovery - short version.)

JMC

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I believe the whole 'don't eat too many yolks' is rubbish. One should always eat the whole egg.

The white and the yolk of an egg contain different BCAA (Branch Chain Amino Acid) profiles, which when eating together, compliment each other nicely.

(BCAAs are essential to muscle development, recovery and performance. Once ingested, they are used to create proteins that will fuel muscle development/recovery - short version.)
In my oppinion it depends on the goal that you have. . . . . . . .

You are right however they do contain diffrent amino acid profiles.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
In my oppinion it depends on the goal that you have. . . . . . . .

You are right however they do contain diffrent amino acid profiles.
I eat eggs a couple of times a week, always whole eggs.

I'm at about 6-7% body fat at the moment and would happily eat whole eggs every day and not worry about the fat.

Substituting 4 whole eggs for 2 whole and 2 whites will hardly make a difference in your fat consumption. The positive effect of both BCAA profiles will outweigh a minor increase in fat.

MW123

Reaction score
The main concern with eating the yolk is the cholestrol content. but many people dont understand there are two types of cholstrol. LDL (bad)and HDL (good). HDL is the cholestrol contained in the egg yolk. It is high density and helps prevent Heart Disease and heart attacks. Were not body builders were fat consumption is a science. Dont ever throw away the yolk lads.