pre-uniformed services

smithy1992

Reaction score
would anybody recommend me joining the pre-uniformed services at college before going into the royal marines to help me get ready for prmc?

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Smithy and welcome to the site.

Certainly wouldn't recommended it from what I have heard mate. It's best to pop down to your AFCO and see there view on things as they will be the ones deciding on you. Although I honestly can't imagine that course helping you with the Royal Marines.

It may help you join the Police as it may tell you what you can and can not refer to people as in this politically correct climate we live in today. But stay away from it like the plague mate, if you can join earlier to the Marines then the earlier the better and learn from them first hand, it will be better for your career.

All the best

GreyWing

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Again, it's only my opinion, but I tend to agree with GW on this one- in reply to a similar question:

Ninja_Stoker said:
Uniformed or Public Services Course, is ideal if any of the following circumstances apply to you:

1. Already failed the Recruiting Test.
2. Already failed the Selection Interview.
3. Already failed the PJFT & you need to get fit.
4. Already failed the medical & must wait a set period before you may be passed fit.
5. The individual needs to be able to prove the ability to stick at something, following a turbulent secondary education.
6. The individual needs to physically or mentally mature and develop before applying to join the services or needs to wait until they are 18 as their parents will not consent to them joining.

The qualification itself makes the person no more eligible to join the Armed Forces than someone who has not taken the course, however it may benefit those who fall under one or more of the categories above. If you don't fall into one of the above categories, then you should question what is to be gained.

smithy1992

Reaction score
yes I have had a conversation with somebody in the pre-uniformed services and they say they want to quit but need to proove they can stick to something. so, i am now not even thinking of that option anymore.

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I did this course before joining the Marines and trust me it doesn't help at all, mind you the college I was at was very unorganised and messed all the students around

danslark

Reaction score
On my prmc the corporal went round all the lads and asked what we did job wise etc,one lad responded public services at college,the corporals response to that was basically why are you bothering with that we will teach you everything you need!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Public Services/Uniformed services is OK for those that fall under the categories listed above, but the long & short of it is that you don't need to go on a course for two years only to discover that you can walk into an AFCO or that the civil Police & Fire Service will generally seek someone with a bit of life experience rather than someone joining straight from college.

The simple fact is the colleges want bums on seats to generate more revenue. Similarly Universities are equally guilty of offering non-vocational degrees which are of no use in the world outside of academia. (A good example of that is a friend's daughter who spent 3 years studying for a Forensic Science BA Degree only to discover that she is no more qualified to be a Forensic Scientist than me - all she earned was a knowledge of the history of it, a £12, 000 debt & a bitter lesson in life). The current favourite ploy of universities is to only take you on if you complete a 4 year degree with a Masters. The hapless individual then spends an extra year racking up the debt, still without any hands on experience but at least the Uni laughs all the way to the bank vault. Many people fail to realise a University is a business.

Nicholas

Reaction score
Well I'm doing the BTEC National certificate in uniformed public services (police, fire service + army etc) at peterborough regional college. (2 year course) (as well as a NVQ2 in activity leadership)

at the end of the day your probably right, but the two A-levels I gain and the NVQ2 and all the skills I learn (2 weeks in Switzerland skiing + hill walking, Duke of Edinburgh Silver award + gold, potentially First aid qaulifications amongst other small ones like sailing, canoeing (down some big river in france) + kayaking qualifications) allows me to join the army as an officer (requirement is like 2 a levels like B+) with "life experience" that most people probably wouldnt get the chance.

I cant say that every course will have what im doing or might even be better, but im enjoying myself I get good recognisable qualifications that are going to look good on my cv compared to piss poor gcse results even if i do get some stick from the higher ranking officers when i join up.

and to be honest, the course isnt focused on 1 area (although ive heard some colleges are, due to sponsorship from certain uniformed services)
My course is run by ex-military, sas bloke, royal engineers + ta, tank driver, senior nco in aircraft maintainance @ raf

anyway to conclude, check with the people running the course (practically always ex-military with a minefield of info), find out what you can do, if it sounds good, go for it, if it turns *text deleted* you can leave its not like its compulsary education anymore.

Hope it helps to make your mind up

smithy1992

Reaction score
hi,

yes i have made my mind up.

*text deleted* for the replys guys they are a very big help.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Nicholas said:
Well I'm doing the BTEC National certificate in uniformed public services at peterborough regional college. (2 year course) (as well as a NVQ2 in activity leadership)

...at the end of the day your probably right, but the two A-levels I gain and the NVQ2 and all the skills I learn

I cant say that every course will have what im doing or might even be better, but im enjoying myself I get good recognisable qualifications that are going to look good on my cv compared to piss poor gcse results even if i do get some stick from the higher ranking officers when i join up.

...anyway to conclude, check with the people running the course (practically always ex-military with a minefield of info), find out what you can do, if it sounds good, go for it, if it turns *text deleted* you can leave its not like its compulsary education anymore.

Hope it helps to make your mind up
It is indeed a minefield- the problem is checking the validity & currency of the information given. The rules often change & it is highly likely the minimum UCAS points required for entry level at officer will be further reviewed in the near future.

Regardless of what the ex-servicepeople may advise, the BTEC National certificate in uniformed public services is not enough on its own to join as an officer, you still need the basic 5 GCSE's (A*-C) including Maths & English. In fact you still need the GCSE's & UCAS points if you join with a Masters Degree!

For your BTEC to give you sufficient UCAS points to make you academically eligible for Officer Selection, the BTEC must include 2 non-overlapping subjects & must be passed at 'Merit' or 'Distinction' level, depending on the unit content, in order to be put forward to the Admiralty Interview Board to evaluate whether they are acceptable.

The best bet is to speak directly with your Area Careers Liaison Officer (ACLO) at your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO) BEFORE you commit two years studying to ensure the validity of the qualifications heralded by your college are in fact recognised.

Link: How to Join the Royal Marines