Preparing for the PRMC....

OJL

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Next year (around June or July), i'm going to apply for the Royal Marines Commando. In the mean time, i need to get into shape (not very fit at the moment) to prepare for the PRMC and other challenges they will throw at me. In the mean time, i'm following a strict diet and using this training tool to get fit. Is one year enough time to be fit enough to tackle the PRMC? Any tips in ways to preapre would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

RM2977

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I would suggest doing a test day first just to see what your stats are like for a 3 mile run, pressups, situps, and pullups. I'd think that a year is more than enough time to prepare if you put a proper plan together, but it really depends on how fit you are now.

Sad Ivies

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum. I haven't tried the training tool but your primary focus should be on running as it will condition and develop your anaerobic capacity in preparation for the 1.5 miler and VO2 max as well as other tests which really test your CV. In regards to upper body strength, focus on pullups, sit-ups and pushups. I personnally am doing insanity workouts in conjunction with anaerobic running. If you want to download insanity visit any torrent site, it will really develop and condition your body. *text deleted*, if your new to training, you may be tempted but don't waste any money on training programs and fancy gadgets.

Gos85

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I've probably harped on about this before but i can't stress how much doing Crossfit has helped me. Couple that with some road running and treadmill running and you will be well on your way!!

DD

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I'd recommend using the training tool to make sure the form of your press ups and other exercises are spot on, from what I've read, that's pretty important.

OJL

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I would suggest doing a test day first just to see what your stats are like for a 3 mile run, pressups, situps, and pullups. I'd think that a year is more than enough time to prepare if you put a proper plan together, but it really depends on how fit you are now.
My cardiovascular fitness is OK at the moment but i'm weak on the press ups (cant do many quality press ups). i'm going gym twice a week to improve my muscles by using weights and weight machines to help with the press ups. In addition, i've also started going swimming twice a week for 45 minutes.

OJL

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
A year is more than enough time to get atleast a 9 minute return, 8 pull ups, 60 press ups and 80 sit ups.

OSTV
Is 60 press ups and 80 sit ups the minimum?

oJNAo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Are the pullups just a 1 second delay between reps or are they all from a dead hang?

Batman

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Are the pullups just a 1 second delay between reps or are they all from a dead hang?
They're from dead hang to chin above the bar. It's one or two seconds, I can't remember.

OJL

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Monday
AM
30 min run
PM
Circuit

Tuesday
AM
45 min swim
PM
Gym (Weights)

Wednesday
REST

Thursday
AM
30 min run
PM
Circuit

Friday
AM
45 min swim
PM
Gym
(Weights)

Saturday
AM
30 min run
PM
Circuit

Sunday
REST

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the timetable i'm following to get me into shape. Any improvements or suggestions?

OJL

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Monday
AM
30 min run
PM
Gym
Gym (Weights & Circuit)

Tuesday
AM
30 min run
PM
Gym (Weights & Circuit)

Wednesday
REST

Thursday
AM
45 min swim
PM
Gym
Gym (Weights & Circuit)

Friday
AM
30 min run
PM
Gym
Gym (Weights & Circuit)

Saturday
AM
30 min run
PM
Gym
Gym (Weights & Circuit)

Sunday
REST
---------------------------------------------------------
Might change my timetable to this. Once my body strength increases, I'll focus on pull ups. Any improvements or suggestions is much appreciated. i usually do one hour of weights and one hour on circuit exercises during my gym session.

Xerath

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Have you been running for long? I'd say once your legs are used to running and you are fairly comfortable with it you should start having specific run sessions. For example:

Monday: 6 - 8 mile endurance run - the Sergeant Major on my PRMC said endurance is the most important ability to have overall
Wednesday: hill sprints/sprint intervals
Friday: a quick 3/4 miler

Then maybe every 2/3 weeks a PJFT mock on a treadmil (remember the 2 degree incline) just to see where you're at. Then once you've passed that, a PRMC 3 miler mock

OJL

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Have you been running for long? I'd say once your legs are used to running and you are fairly comfortable with it you should start having specific run sessions. For example:

Monday: 6 - 8 mile endurance run - the Sergeant Major on my PRMC said endurance is the most important ability to have overall
Wednesday: hill sprints/sprint intervals
Friday: a quick 3/4 miler

Then maybe every 2/3 a PJFT mock on a treadmil (remember the 2 degree incline) just to see where you're at. Then once you've passed that, a PRMC 3 miler mock
i've not been running long but i've got a year to train so i've got time on my side :) i'm more worried about my strength as i'm not good at push ups and pull ups. My running is ok but still need a lot of improving

Xerath

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i've not been running long but i've got a year to train so i've got time on my side :) i'm more worried about my strength as i'm not good at push ups and pull ups. My running is ok but still need a lot of improving
Yeah you have plenty of time mate. I'd advise you ease into running, don't do too much too soon as you'll most likely end up with an injury which could easily have been avoided. What are your sit ups like?

There's a method that I use to improve my stats (guess what's coming next guys! ;)) called Gainers. I've gone from being able to do 5 pull ups to more than 10.

OJL

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you have plenty of time mate. I'd advise you ease into running, don't do too much too soon as you'll most likely end up with an injury which could easily have been avoided. What are your sit ups like?

There's a method that I use to improve my stats (guess what's coming next guys! ;)) called Gainers. I've gone from being able to do 5 pull ups to more than 10.

thank you for the video. i'll be sure to try it out. my sit ups are better but still need a lot of improving. If there are any other ways you know that can help with push ups and pulls, it would be most useful.

Viking

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi :)

I have been training for 9-10 months myself and will be starting my application journey myself next week.

When i first started training for the Royals i panted my ass of on the treadmill, was practicing non-strict press ups and was doing sit ups incorrectly and also could not do pull ups. After about 3 months of getting good at all the wrong stuff :mad: i found this website and started educating myself correctly, found a lot more stuff which is worth its weight in gold, honestly these guys are brilliant and know their stuff!

Anyway put together a fitness programme have a look on the training forums, my suggestions is 3 runs a week 1 swim session and another of your choice (optional) 3 runs been hill sprint, endurance and Interval training however ease into all of these and don't try to become rocky because injuries is a real pain when it comes to training for PJFT and PRMC ect...

make sure you do the correct form strict press ups, sit ups and pull ups. See what your stats are like currently and build yourself up gradually. Keep at it and don't give up. Also if you dont already join a gym, absolute hate mine but gives me everything i need e.g. Compound exercises, treadmill and fit woman :D