prescription drugs

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Was just wondering if you are able to take prescription drugs while in the Marines, specifically Accutane. I don't have serious acne, but enough that they might not let me in. When Im on Accutane, Im perfect. My doctor says he'll give me 10 months worth before I go over to the UK. Is this allowed ?.

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ty thats a pretty serious prescription drug, acctuane (or Roaccutane as its called in the uk) .... they dont give it out lightly in the UK mate and over here your only prescribed it generally for 6mths max then you take some time off it !
Whilst its very effect in what it does, its generally only perscribed in serious cases when standard oral antibiotic drugs havent suceeded and not in a long term basis (i may be wrong there as it may be diff in canada)! You've also *text deleted* have your liver function & bloods checked roughly every 4/6wks by a doctor or consultant dermatoligist to make sure internally, your body isnt having any adverse reaction to the medication. Not sure when you'd get time in RT to get that done mate!

Basically I'd say you'd have to speak to the medical officer at an afco and give him the low down on the dosage your on & how long you've been on it etc ...

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the update mate. Its hard to get it in Canada here, but my mild acne has been resistant to everything, so finally I was put on this. I have no side effects to the drug at all, which is great. They say its a pretty intense drug, but I'd never know. I've heard horror stories about people on it, guess Im just fortunate. I dont see how it would bar my entry into the Marines. I don't really have an AFCO where I live, so it's a real pain for me to get info. Any more from anyone else, would be great !.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Extract from the joining letter given to all new entries:

GENERAL GUIDANCE

1. You are also strongly advised to learn basic hand washing and ironing skills before joining to enable you to maintain your uniform to a high standard.
2. No jewellery is to be visible with uniform other than signet or wedding rings for males; wedding, engagement, signet rings, and a plain gold sleeper or stud earrings for females. In addition, female trainees are to ensure that long hair is worn up using plain hairgrips/hairnets and, the use of make up is not allowed during Initial training. All body piercing is to be removed prior to joining.
3. Food and drink are not allowed in the accommodation areas, you should therefore only take enough for your journey.
4. Mobile phones can be taken with you but they can only be used out of working hours. You are not permitted to use the camera facility on your mobile phone during Phase 1 Training. You are not to take any of the following items:
• Valuable items of jewellery.
• Excessive amounts of cash.
• Cars or motorcycles.
• Portable DVD Players/ Walkman/ MP3 stereos (headphones not allowed).
• Offensive weapons (including pocket knives).
• Alcohol.
Non-prescribed medicines.
6. You will be informed on joining of your leave entitlement.

Again, it's at the discretion of the Medical Officer.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Ninja, all I needed to know !