Press-Up and Running Tips?

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Alright fellas just want some tips on press-ups and running. I can currently manage 20 marine style press-ups but don't seem to be progressing from 20. I tried the 100 pushups program but found i was getting WORSE and find i only improved when i just do 1 set maximum as opposed to 3 sets. Any tips to improve? Also tried my 1.5 mile best effort for a bit of fun *text deleted* got 9:58 which is 3 minutes better than my regular time but it was an absolute hang out *text deleted*. Think i over-pronate where i've just got the neutral running shoes so maybe that might factor in times. Any advice to improve that?

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Your 1.5miler is sub 10mins so thats a pass for PJFT and PRMC so all you can do is improve on that now and start shaving a few seconds off to feel a bit more comfortable with it, for that id probably recommend some fartlek witch really does help, and press ups i find a real pain in the butt my max is 25-30 i tried the 100 press up progam can't get on with it either so some thing new im going to try is, on odd days of the week do 200 PU in little sets as possible and on even days do 200 PU but seperate them through out the day in as bigger or smaller sets as you want 10 days on 3 days of this can go in with your normal routine have not tried this my self yet but i am going to throw it in tommorow and just plenty of water and a clean diet id say, some other guys will have some tips aswell no doubt.

M

marcsteele08

I've got exactly the same problem as u bud.
What is fartlek ?

Marc.

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've got exactly the same problem as u bud.
What is fartlek ?

Marc.
basicly its a certain distance spring and then you job say half of that and spring the same distance again

what my afco said is the easiest and most simple way to do is go to a football/rugby pitch and spring the lengt then job the width sprng the lengh and so on doing this 5 times

also for press ups pyramid is good you do say 6 then 6 seconds break kept in press ups positions then 5 and 5 seconds break 4 then 3 and so on when you get to one try and go back up to 6 do this every other day along your your normal press up routine

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
if you want help on your press ups you could try this.

i started off when i was really rubbish at press ups at 25. if you do 25 press ups every morning and night for a week then the next week do 30 or 35 and gradually progress on from there. this might help you, it helped me.

All the best.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
if you want help on your press ups you could try this.

i started off when i was really rubbish at press ups at 25. if you do 25 press ups every morning and night for a week then the next week do 30 or 35 and gradually progress on from there. this might help you, it helped me.

All the best.

Yup thats the way to do it guys!, Hes right. I Used to only do like 10 Then used to add 5 on every week and all the time i was get my technique better too.. Just add on 5 every week so then its not a huge jump and at the end of the week you feel just right to add 5 more on and it gets easier and easier!..

Sam

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Also another method i do is just do like 30 Every half an hour if you have time. Or at night just do press ups through the TV adverts. Thats what i do.. So everytime theres a TV Advert get down and start pumping out some pressups!. Sounds mad but you can soon get up to like 60 - 80 Press ups in the adverts!. It does help!

Helps me anyway!... Also do bench presses and curls to help you build up the muscles so then you can lift your body weight up easier, Cause thats all your doing in a press up is lifting your body weight up and down.

Sam

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Your 1.5miler is sub 10mins so thats a pass for PJFT and PRMC
Yeah but remember at the PRMC you do the timed 1.5 miler continually/right after doing 1.5 miles so that time could get higher..

Just keep on running it and it will improve, that's all there is to it really, put 100% in each time, maybe do some HIIT and add some longer runs in.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yeh I'd reccomend doing your 1.5 miler like you do at PRMC,
I've started doing it and it's tough,
saves you getting your hopes up with a good time only to barely pass/fail when you do it at PRMC.

Joe

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I do my 1.5 miler like PRMC but its 10:30 mins there, so abit of a safety net