Press-up idea

D

Deleted

It just hit me. If you can only manage 20 press-ups, just think that that would be one every 6 seconds at PRMC/POC. Not very hard going at all.

I maxed out at 30 previously at the end I felt like I was dying and my arms just collapsed on me. Then I thought that this would be one every four seconds, which sounds ridiculously easy. I pulled out my stopwatch and did that, it turns out that it is in fact, a lot easier. I then tried one press-ups every 3 seconds. For me it was quite hard going towards the end, but I did manage to crack out 40 press ups.

I'd just recommend trying this to anyone who is struggling with there press-ups. Don't try and crack them out as fast as you can, take your time, and speed it up slowly. I can more or less guarantee it will work for those who max out not because they run out of time, but because they simply can't do any more.

Give it a go lads.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
that evil russian press up routine's good aswell.
the other problem is on PRMC you're not just doing press ups you're doing them in the middle of other exercises

D

Deleted

the other problem is on PRMC you're not just doing press ups you're doing them in the middle of other exercises

Yeah I'd suggest just keep making the time-spaces smaller and smaller, say one second less per press-up every two weeks (or shorter). And doing them when you're pretty worn out (after a bleep test would be ideal, they wear you out pretty badly).

goldenboyz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

yeah i plan on starting that next week so will prob see how that goes then perhaps try the other routine! how about combining the two? *text deleted*

vince

Reaction score
good one mate, i just tried this and it seemed to work. Thanks

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Good idea you sure it will work? I do struggle with press ups though recently have improved a lot. I thought holding yourself for longer would use up more energy rather than cracking them out?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
you'll build up lactic acid a lot quicker banging them out than doing them more slowly, which is why you can jog further than you can sprint.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
added 5 more onto my personal best *text deleted* (Y)

:lovey:

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Is this just good for improving or are you allowed to bang one out every couple of seconds at PRMC or does it have it be as fast as you can?

Joe

D

Deleted

I tried it just to try and improve how long you could keep going for, by reducing the time-intervals between press-ups.

I doubt it would be a good idea at prmc, as if you completed 40 press-ups at one every 3 seconds, or did 30 in quick succession, stopping because it's physically impossible to do any more, I'd say the 30 press-ups would be better, as you gave it your all.

I may be wrong, but I'm just using it as my way of squeezing out the extra 5 or so press-ups every week or two.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I do this as I get to the end of my set, I do 40 and then I do 3 have a break then 3 and so on, I can do 50 this way.

I think one thing also to do this is practice holding the pushup position for 2 mins, can you do that? Dunno abot you but I find it bloody hard *text deleted* so maybe a complementary thing to go along with it.

D

Deleted

I think one thing also to do this is practice holding the pushup position for 2 mins, can you do that? Dunno abot you but I find it bloody hard *text deleted* so maybe a complementary thing to go along with it.

Yeah, just tried it and it absolutely wrecked my shoulders, gritting my teeth at the end of it. I think doing that every so often for two minutes would help a lot, it tires you in the same place that press-ups do (for me anyway) in the shoulders, so the easier holding the position gets, the easier (I assume) press ups will become.

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Good idea.

Just done this started to feel it on my shoulders after about a minute, think I might try and do it every 10 mins for an hour.

M

MTW

didnt work for me unfortunatly, bout 5 less than my max doing it that way.

D

Deleted

didnt work for me unfortunatly, bout 5 less than my max doing it that way.

Yeah well it might work for some people might not for others. It would help a lot if you tried to hold the press-up position for two minutes, as the pauses are what tired me out.

Lee

Reaction score
i get board with my upper body workout, doin the same all the time.

just started a new one last night

do 35 press ups 1 min rest
do 30 press ups 45 second rest
d0 25 press ups 30 second rest
do 20 press ups 25 second rest
do 15 press ups 20 second rest
do 10 press ups 15 second rest
do 5 press ups finish

thats 140 press ups. quite fast. i do similar with pull ups too 7,6,5,4,3,2,1

it helps me because i like the way the numbers get less :D
give it a shot.