press up irritation

francis

Reaction score
hi, need sum help, about 65% of the time i go to do press ups, my wrist startes getting painful, it will *text deleted* on all of a sudden, a very acute pain, then I have to stop, because it hurts whenever i put more than about 10 lbs of pressure on them. ny1 else had a similar problem? its only evr my left 1, It doesnt matter how long i rest, it cums back, any suggestions?

J_Smith

Reaction score
Maybe you're not used to the position yet, try using a yoga mat instead of doing them straight on the floor. If it carries on after a couple of weeks there might be something medically wrong, I'm not an expert on anything though.

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya,

Try doing your pressups on your fists, it may hurt your knuckles a bit but they will toughen up over time. Pompey and TY members of this forum Im sure suffer or suffered from your problem. If I remember correctly they suggested doing pressups against a wall. Then over time slowly decreasing the angle at which you lean against the wall, then when you can use the wall no more use a set of stairs. Maybe lean on the fourth set of stairs and over time move down a step. Then when the time comes that youve finished with the stairs do pressups on the floor again however rather than do them in the traditional way drop to your knees and do girl push ups. This will help take some of your weight off your wrists. One day you can attempt doing normal pressups when this day comes start off doing a small amount of reps and build up from their. Another thing you can try at the gym or your home if you have dumbells. Sit on your knees place your forearms on a table so that your wrists overhang the edge of the table make sure your palms are facing upwards. Have a dumbell in each hand and using your wrist do some curls. SO you will whilst grasping the dumbell let your hand lower as much as possible then bring your hand using your wrist in a curling motion towards your body this is good for your forearms and your wrists. Sorry for the poor description here click on the link this will show you what I mean

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/WristFlexors/DBWristCurl.html

State of Mind

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

*text deleted* do pressups on *text deleted* fist *text deleted* its not the correct training technique and *text deleted* wrist wont get used to the position if u dont strengthen it.

Yes i stil have the same problem bud and i completed 18weeks RT *text deleted* doesnt make sense but jus *text deleted* go with it..try finding the position thats most comfortable for u.

SoM

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Stop praticing your press ups for a few days, and then try again, you might of damaged your wrist or sprained it.

robj

Reaction score
you should buy one of those power ball things, its basically a kind of training device climbers use, it strengthens your wrists and forearms without so much strain on the arms. they're like £15 from argos or any climbing shop