Press ups and Sit ups

brummielad

Reaction score
My press ups and sit ups really are awful at the minute, i can do no more than 25 marine style press ups, im focusing on getting the technique right at the moment. Sit ups are better but im really SLOW at them for some reason i cant go fast my back just doesnt allow me to its not becuase im in pain or anything its just i do them slow i need to do them fast to stand any chance of getting a good score.

Anybody have any tips, programs as such to help me improve my press ups and sit ups?

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My press ups and sit ups really are awful at the minute, i can do no more than 25 marine style press ups, im focusing on getting the technique right at the moment. Sit ups are better but im really SLOW at them for some reason i cant go fast my back just doesnt allow me to its not becuase im in pain or anything its just i do them slow i need to do them fast to stand any chance of getting a good score.

Anybody have any tips, programs as such to help me improve my press ups and sit ups?
For pressups you could try the Evil Russian Pushup program if you have the time, the results are pretty variable.

As for situps, just keep doing them and do all the other exercises like kneeups/crunches/hanging raises/leg raises consecutively.

http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3968&highlight=russian

Gorillawizard

Reaction score
for the pushups, do the evil russian push up program. I'm doing it at the moment and i've improved from just being able to do 10 to doing 25 now, in 2 weeks, going round again now. As for the situps, it depends how tall you are. I'm 6ft 2 and kinda medium to slow sit ups, people who are shorter can do them twice as quick. Just keep doing them and other exercises as explained above.

et-adams

Reaction score
Particulary with press-ups, a good way to built up tricep endurance and stamina is as follows:

Assume the press up start position, elbows tucked RIGHT in and hands in line with shoulders. Complete one push up, and on the negative, (the way down) hold yourself perfectly still about 1inch from the surface you're on. Hold this position for ten seconds and then press-up... repeat until failure without sacrificing correct form.

It's a deep burn.

D

Deleted

Particulary with press-ups, a good way to built up tricep endurance and stamina is as follows:

Assume the press up start position, elbows tucked RIGHT in and hands in line with shoulders. Complete one push up, and on the negative, (the way down) hold yourself perfectly still about 1inch from the surface you're on. Hold this position for ten seconds and then press-up... repeat until failure without sacrificing correct form.

It's a deep burn.
God that kills, only managed 6, I thought my head was going to explode when I was pushing back up.

et-adams

Reaction score
For extra points, there comes a point before total failure where you can hold, but not complete another press up (lock out) Use this time to hold for as long as possible at 1inch.

Get used to that pain.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
christ, that feels like it's doing something that's for sure...