Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Press ups help

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Rm97, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Rm97

Rm97 New Member

No matter what I do I just cant seem to improve my press ups, my pull ups are solid at 12 to the beep and steadily improving and I'm consistently getting 70+ on situps but I cant get past 20 press ups. I dont think its a strength issue as my dips, bench press and even weighted press ups are improving but when I get to 20 pressups my arms just suddenly seem to fill with lactic acid and cant get out any more. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I should. Thanks in advance

2. PUGS

PUGS New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I was in a similar position, already doing push style gym sessions to supplement my press ups but like yourself the lactate would just come outta nowhere and stop me in my tracks. So I’ve just started banging press ups out multiple times a day for such random rep ranges, whatever is convenient. Just woke up, 10 press ups. On my break at work, bang out 20. waiting for the microwave to bleep, 15 press ups. During an advert watching TV, press ups till failure. There is no real routine it is just completely random. You end up smashing so many press ups out daily that the endurance just creeps in. ‘grease the groove’

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I second this! One of the guys on my prmc who maxed out his press ups, said that for the month before the test he banged out 300 a day. I've started doing 100 a day for about a month and already my press ups are improving massively. I'd say for you start with 50 a day or 100 in sets of 15-20 reps, and then see how that feels after a month

4. Rm97

Rm97 New Member

Many thanks, everyone

5. pvrmoron

pvrmoron New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Greasing the groove is also the best way to improve pullups, I'd reccomend getting a door mounted bar at home if you don't have one

6. borneboy

borneboy Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I trained push ups maybe 2/3 times a week just doing supersets and sets of push ups. Maxed out the test easily just don't stop it's a mindset. Anyone can max all 3 tests.

• Like Like x 1
  7. anon1234

anon1234 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    I think grease the groove works well initially, and can provide good results. GTG is repeatedly performing a non-fatiguing amount of an exercise, in this case press-ups throughout the day (i.e around half of your max reps each time). It does work.

Ultimately you are assessed on press-up endurance, your maximum number of reps, so you should try include in some capacity in your training doing as many press-ups as possible in a single set. Doing both should see some good improvements, keep progressing it, good luck!

• Like Like x 2