Press-ups struggling

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
Right well basically, i'm not sure why but recently i can't do as many press ups.
I used to be able to push 60 out in the 2 minute time limit with some energy left to push a few more out. That was about 2 weeks ago.
But now i start to struggle proper at about 35, in the time limit i can push about 55 out and thats proper burning myself out in press ups.
Anyone got any ideas why this happened??
Last week i did start doing weights because i needed to put weight on and took a few protein shakes, but i've only put on about 2kgs if that because i only weigh like 61kgs. i did keep up with my press ups as well as the weights and i did only did the weights for that one week now stopped because i think that mite be why.
So anyone got any ideas what this could be or advise??
Thanks

M

MTW

probably due to the 2kg and the weighs combined, because your body isnt used to doing the weights.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Resting much? Diet changes? Sleep pattern?

Many things can *text deleted**text deleted* you up quickly, have a rest for a few days, keep yourself hydrated and see how you do then.

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
i'm resting just as much as i usually do, and have 1-2 rest days a week from exercise.
I have been eating more to put on weight so maybe thats why but that does seem like a big drop in pressups for only 2kgs. But i think i can do 1-2 more pulls ups now so shouldn't the weight affect that as well. And im sleeping as much as i usually do.

I might take the weekend off and try it again on monday.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Weakness is one of the signs of some oncoming illness too. But more than likely over training, sometimes you need to leave your body to rest more than just in the rest days.

Dan-boxer

Reaction score
yeah going to do that, resting till monday now. Jst training becomes addictive doesn't it. Thanks guys

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i found that really intense work outs for 2 weeks then just cardio for a week is "the bomb" as they say. but make sure you take rest days esp on week 3 (at least 3)

W/\Nnabe

Reaction score
dan *text deleted*, dunno if u still have the press up problem, but, nothing is wrong! im into training too! its my drug! i cant go a day without goin to the gym! a few pointers- make sure u use a different muscle area each day so u r not putting too much stress on 1 muscle! if u break them down

Monday: Jog, Legs, Abs
Tuesday: Chest, Arms
Wednesday: Full day Cardio (6 mile jog, 20 mins cross country trainer, 10 mins HIIT training on the treadmill, 10 mins on the rowing machine)
Thursday: Back
Friday: Jog, Arms
Saturday: Abs, and a light all rounder
Sunday: Rest

i had the same problem as you with the press up thing but my problem was with pullups! i could do about 5/6 overhand widegrip pullups 1 week and now i can only do about 3/4 in one go! its just like sometimes when i go to do a bicep workout i can hardly lift 15 kg dumbbells, when normally im curling 20 k's!

if something like mine and your problem occurs then i say just lay off and do something else or just do less reps but more sets! that way you are still getting the same result as you would have before, just spread over a longer period!

(my press ups standing at 35 in 35 seconds- 60 in 2 mins!- starts to burn after about 40)

J

Jason_A

The answer to this is easy. Your pre workout meal isn't good enough. What do you have? Make sure it has plenty of carbs and *some* protein.

Also, don't forget to play Eye of the Tiger while training hehe. ;)

Failing that, you could have DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) which would mean you wouldn't be able to do as many since the pain isn't all bearable. You need 1-2 days rest if lifting weights.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have found that's a problem with doing weights and own-bodyweight training, it seems to fluctuate. I could be doing an awesome amount of press ups yet a week later doing *text deleted**text deleted*e. Before I managed 9 pull ups with a 10kg weight but a week later could only manage 7 with no weight, crazy!

Though I've just had two and a half weeks off training and had alcohol on everyone one of those days I'm doing okay if a slight loss on strength, but I lost a stone in weight weird...

Werner Maritz

Reaction score
The pull ups problem... if you just do pull ups it will get stronger but here is a trick to help you guys... it worked for me... i do my pull ups like this one set of 6 normal speed.. then i hang on 3 seconds hanging pull up 3 seconds hanging down 3 seconds hanging... go on as long as you can.. if you cant pull up any more keep haning on and tri to pull with your shoulders even if you move just an inch it will help...
do as many sets as you can.. body weight i work on max reps max sets but do all the movements super slow...
allso put on a bergen on your back after the workout and do more pull ups... body weight and extra weight will fix that problems fast..
do this every other day

push ups... here is my routine... start with 10 rest 20 rest 30 rest 40 rest 50 rest 60 rest then work your way down 50 40 30 20 10... i dont get back down to 10 but that is the goal... do this twice a day as hard as you can...but also go slow..
use medic balls to do your push ups on... helps a lot to build strength...

but there is no real one true way to get it right just do what you can and tri not to work in a routin or your body will start building memory and you want to shock your body every time you do a work out...
so mix and match it to do difrent stuf every day...

some thing i do every 3rd week is a write all exercises on paper and tos them in a bag draw 4 off them and that is what you do for the day... do that for a week... sounds stupid i know but it help to keep the work out intresting and to teach your body to handle anything...

This is all things i do myself and my view point, you all are welcome to try it and hope it help you to...
Have a good one mates!

pull - ups 29 then i loos form
push ups 86