press ups technique

forestboy

Reaction score
Hi guys im new to this site, *text deleted** always wanted to join the marines and since new year i have focused on the idea and am aiming at applying after a summer of hardcore fitness to get me up to shape, going to attempt to give up alcohole after tonight till the day i pass my prmc.

Anyways i was always confident about the whole 60 press up thing in two minutes until i saw a video on youtube yesterday showing that the arms must be by the side. Anyways having a slight panic as using that technique i can only seem to push out 35 at the moment in about 50 seconds, then if i arch my bum in the air for a 30 second rest i can push out another 25 within a 2 minute time limit. I was wondering if anyone knew whether your *text deleted**text deleted** to do this?

Also incredibly stupid question here for any road runners, but how do you mark out an exact 3 mile route?
*text deleted** sorry for being some sort of question kid but also does anyone know with the pull ups whether you have to go right down to straight extended arms or can you keep them slightly bent?

Any help at all would be more than appreciated. Cheers guys.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys im new to this site, *text deleted** always wanted to join the marines and since new year i have focused on the idea and am aiming at applying after a summer of hardcore fitness to get me up to shape, going to attempt to give up alcohole after tonight till the day i pass my prmc.

Anyways i was always confident about the whole 60 press up thing in two minutes until i saw a video on youtube yesterday showing that the arms must be by the side. Anyways having a slight panic as using that technique i can only seem to push out 35 at the moment in about 50 seconds, then if i arch my bum in the air for a 30 second rest i can push out another 25 within a 2 minute time limit. I was wondering if anyone knew whether your *text deleted**text deleted** to do this?

Also incredibly stupid question here for any road runners, but how do you mark out an exact 3 mile route?
*text deleted** sorry for being some sort of question kid but also does anyone know with the pull ups whether you have to go right down to straight extended arms or can you keep them slightly bent?

Any help at all would be more than appreciated. Cheers guys.
1- you won't be allowed to arch, you must remain in the correct stance.

2- www.mapmyrun.com , GPS or a map!

3- you must go down until arms are fully extended.

forestboy

Reaction score
1- you won't be allowed to arch, you must remain in the correct stance.

2- www.mapmyrun.com , GPS or a map!

3- you must go down until arms are fully extended.
Thanks for the reply mate, thought that was going to be the case. Never done a press up in that technique till last night so hopefully if i work on it over the summer i will be ready. Do you mix up your press ups at all or just stick to that one technique? *text deleted* get myself some sort of pull up bar as i have always used the branch of a tree which isnt ideal. *text deleted** and clearly a map would be the obvious solution im just worried it wont be deadly accurate but i suspose that doesnt matter for training. I take it you use a treadmill? The plan is once i apply and do all the initial tests im going to drop out of work and join a gym when and if i get a prmc set. Other than running pull up sit ups and press ups is there anything else you need to train on? As in *text deleted** i know i need to get a better reference than youtube but saw another video of climbing up ropes, is that part of the prmc too? Cheers and sorry for all the questions.

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you cant arch, but you can hold in rest position for a few seconds in between. Try to mix it up with things like clap press ups, diamonds, wide arm, marine, and I use perfect push ups too.
For pull ups I use the bar in the gym, but if theres a football pitch near you the goalposts are pretty good, and you can mix it into sprint sessions. Nothing wrong with a tree though, like you said, at the end of the day your still doing pull ups.
Have you got a phone with android or the iphone thing on it? If you do give the cardio trainer app a go. Its free and uses gps to map your runs, keeping track of speeds, distance, and gives you graphs and allsorts, and shows you a map of where you've ran. it seems quite accurate too, and you can set it to tell you what speed you're running at and how far you've gone.
mapmyrun is perfect for mapping out an exact 3 miles, Im lucky enough that from my house up a few main roads and back makes an exact 5k, but you should be able to plan it out for you.
For other things you want to try basically have a look at hill sprints (essential), Plyometrics, HIIT, fartlek and plenty of other things, but if you give those a look you should be ok. Somewhere on here someone has posted fintan circuits too, and those are pretty horrendous.
That should give you enough information to get started, but theres other guys who are real experts on this that will be able to give you a better idea of a plan, and how to implement rest days etc.

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Why are you panicking for? You haven't even applied yet and even so you have plenty of time to work on your press ups.

forestboy

Reaction score
Why are you panicking for? You haven't even applied yet and even so you have plenty of time to work on your press ups.
True i was hoping i was fit enough already though as its at the end of rugby season so this is technically the fittest point of my year. Its going to be hard staying off the booze especially when summer comes along but hopefully reading what you guys are all up to in a similar position will keep me focused as i dont personally know anyone who has applied for the marines. I cant find the fintan circuit page does anyone have a link? I got up to 42 hand by side press ups before lunch touching a tin of sweet corn which is roughly fist size so hopefully 60 should be attainable. What helped me loads with normal press ups which i would recommend to anyone if they have not done this before and what i need to start doing again is reverse press ups, get under a table hanging on to the edge do a set with wide arms then push out a set with your hands next to each other, when your hands are touching it gets militant.

alfaholic

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Confused now specifically asked my afco if you can arch and he said you can

Sigh.....

forestboy

Reaction score
Confused now specifically asked my afco if you can arch and he said you can

Sigh.....
That will be magical if you can, it is the most effective way for recovering during press ups without having to move your hands or feet out of position, will be a doodle in the park if thats even a phrase. But even so i am going to do really slow sets which take up a whole two minutes so my muscles can get used to being worked for that amount of time and add in a couple every few days. Now more worried about the psychometric test, 5 years since maths GCSE and i struggled enough back then.