Press ups techniques

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Just a quick question for you guys,

Are press ups aerobic or anaerobic. Do you take controlled breath in and out early on or gasping the odd breath late on when you knackered.

If you breath in and out early on in a controlled fashion, is it on the way down or up etc.

Everyone got different techniques or is everyone the same.

All the best

GW

paddlequack

Reaction score
I guess it'd be the same as weight lifting breathing where as you bare on the weight (Go down) you'd breathe out and breathe in on the way up?

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea thats right. It's a compound movement. So breathe in on the way down to expand the muscles and let loose on the way up to propel and release the muscle fibers.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
if im doing any other form of body weight exercise i can control my breathing, however press ups i just gasp at it when i can. i find it hard *text deleted* my neck and throat are so stretched out

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you know i never gave this much thought....does it make a big difference?

in terms of getting your breathing right?

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I guess it'd be the same as weight lifting breathing where as you bare on the weight (Go down) you'd breathe out and breathe in on the way up?
is it not going to be the opposite way round surely cause the bit where your technically pushing the weight is when your coming up so thats when you want to be exhaling and you should be inhaling on the way down as this is the equivalent to letting the weight down (comparing to a bench press) right?

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i nock out as many as i can anerobicaly then gasp breath then do the same again

paddlequack

Reaction score
Lshort1988 said:
is it not going to be the opposite way round surely cause the bit where your technically pushing the weight is when your coming up so thats when you want to be exhaling and you should be inhaling on the way down as this is the equivalent to letting the weight down (comparing to a bench press) right?
yeah mate you're right, i just got confused on the whole shebang, although yeah bench press technique is what i based it on.
Although i just make constipated sex noises when i do mine in my room..
(God knows what my Mum thinks i'm doing when she comes home) :S