Press ups - Too Much or Too Little?

Reaction score
Hi, I have my (second) PRMC in a week and the only element I am struggling with is press ups. I’m maxing our sit ups, 7-9 pull ups but when I did my first PRMC I only got 37. Since then I started training them extra hard, dedicating one whole session per week to press ups, and accessory exercises. For example:

Weighted: diamond press ups, shoulder with (RM style) and wide arm, all until failure with 30 seconds rest between sets. Then repeat three times dropping the weight down. After that, more inline, decline press-ups or Every Minute, on the Minute for 20 mins. After that, dips and incline bench chest press with light weights for high reps. Then flys on the cable machine and all sorts of delt work.

The next day, I do a similar style workout for pull ups, and I don’t touch any press up movements. The only problem is, when I next re-test my max effort press ups, they don’t seem to have come on at all!

Could this be because I haven’t let my muscles recover enough or is this just a rubbish workout? Any last minute tips for PRMC next week would be appreciated, many thanks!

(I also do runs/ sprints and circuit sessions, these are just two of my weekly workouts)

Chelonian

Reaction score
Any last minute tips for PRMC next week would be appreciated, many thanks!

Based upon your experience at your first PRMC are you confident that you can exceed the required standard for press-ups and other criteria tests?

Whatever training or rest regime you embark on between now and next week is unlikely to have a significant effect.

If you are not confident that you will pass PRMC consider having a conversation with your Careers Adviser tomorrow to discuss deferring your PRMC to a later date. This might involve pausing your application which will take the pressure off both you and your CA.

Reaction score
So, I’m the meantime I have done an RMAD which I “passed” based on points, accepting of course there is no assault course element. Even at the RMAD I could feel my arms stating to give away around 25 press ups. But my other scores stood me in good stead. So on the whole I would say I am confident enough to go. However, between now and tomorrow I’m going to have a hard think about postponing it. I don’t think they’ll take too kindly to that, as they were keen to send me down ASAP. But at the end of the day it’s my career/ choice.

thanks!

Chelonian

Reaction score
I don’t think they’ll take too kindly to that, as they were keen to send me down ASAP.

They will be less impressed if you attempt to cuff it and then tell them later that you were struggling with your press-ups.
Ultimately it's your call; you've attended PRMC so you know what will be required.
Either way, discuss the matter with your CA. Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.

Scouse350

Reaction score
One thing I got taught was repetition, if you want to improve press ups, do press ups, if you want to improve sit ups do sit ups, my problem was and still is pull ups, so a trick I got told to do was put a pull up par in the door way of a room you always go in and when you go through the door, you have to do pull ups before doing what you were going to do, you could do the same, every time you go through a door say to the kitchen, then before you go through the door you bang out as many press ups as you can

Reaction score
They will be less impressed if you attempt to cuff it and then tell them later that you were struggling with your press-ups.
Ultimately it's your call; you've attended PRMC so you know what will be required.
Either way, discuss the matter with your CA. Let us know how you get on. Best of luck.
Yeah that’s good advice, I’ll see what they say!

Reaction score
Oh I think I’ve heard about this, my friend showed me an app they do, so I’ll try and tone it down and just stick to that programme. Thanks

Reaction score
One thing I got taught was repetition, if you want to improve press ups, do press ups, if you want to improve sit ups do sit ups, my problem was and still is pull ups, so a trick I got told to do was put a pull up par in the door way of a room you always go in and when you go through the door, you have to do pull ups before doing what you were going to do, you could do the same, every time you go through a door say to the kitchen, then before you go through the door you bang out as many press ups as you can

I’ll do that!

aliens-do-exist

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hi may i ask what you failed your first one on? is 37 press-up not ok - 3 points if you fo well on everything else?

Hi, I have my (second) PRMC in a week and the only element I am struggling with is press ups. I’m maxing our sit ups, 7-9 pull ups but when I did my first PRMC I only got 37. Since then I started training them extra hard, dedicating one whole session per week to press ups, and accessory exercises. For example:

Weighted: diamond press ups, shoulder with (RM style) and wide arm, all until failure with 30 seconds rest between sets. Then repeat three times dropping the weight down. After that, more inline, decline press-ups or Every Minute, on the Minute for 20 mins. After that, dips and incline bench chest press with light weights for high reps. Then flys on the cable machine and all sorts of delt work.

The next day, I do a similar style workout for pull ups, and I don’t touch any press up movements. The only problem is, when I next re-test my max effort press ups, they don’t seem to have come on at all!

Could this be because I haven’t let my muscles recover enough or is this just a rubbish workout? Any last minute tips for PRMC next week would be appreciated, many thanks!

(I also do runs/ sprints and circuit sessions, these are just two of my weekly workouts)

Reaction score
hi may i ask what you failed your first one on? is 37 press-up not ok - 3 points if you fo well on everything else?

It was a bit of everything, mostly CV elements. Back then the bleep test was only 10.5 and I only got 10.7 or thereabouts. I can now do quite well even though the standard has increased. Also I only got 1 point on the assault course, and I was stopped early on the press ups even though I had (much) more in me. If I'm honest, Im confused why they stopped me, think I was starting to slow down.

Kingsman

Reaction score
I’m in exactly the same boat as you, but your stats seem fine to go ahead with PRMC. (I am) obviously like me your press ups are your weakness but so long as you make up for it elsewhere (which you are) you’ll be fine.

Reaction score
I’m in exactly the same boat as you, but your stats seem fine to go ahead with PRMC. (I am) obviously like me your press ups are your weakness but so long as you make up for it elsewhere (which you are) you’ll be fine.

Yeah I'm leaning towards that as well, you're never going to be in a position where you are sure you are going to pass anyway. Just have to give it your all. Ex Reserves here too!

Kingsman

Reaction score
Yeah I'm leaning towards that as well, you're never going to be in a position where you are sure you are going to pass anyway. Just have to give it your all. Ex Reserves here too!
Are you going for reserves now?

monkey88

Reaction score
Hey mate,

Did this programme get you where you wanted to be? Passed RMAD with only 30 press-ups.
Been booked on PRMC for 7 weeks time.Hoping to get 55+ press ups in this time.

Looked at a few programmes as there are so many out there. Looked into the gainers one but it would take 6 weeks to progress to 3 x sets of 28 as using the following: Max/4 = start point and ad one rep to each set a day.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Hey mate,

Did this programme get you where you wanted to be? Passed RMAD with only 30 press-ups.
Been booked on PRMC for 7 weeks time.Hoping to get 55+ press ups in this time.

Looked at a few programmes as there are so many out there. Looked into the gainers one but it would take 6 weeks to progress to 3 x sets of 28 as using the following: Max/4 = start point and ad one rep to each set a day.

Cheers!

I passed (JUST) with these scores last week. But safe to say it didn't get me were I wanted to be. I got 34 in the end which was actually LESS than my previous PRMC at 37. I would have only been comfortable with 45 (or as you say 55) or so if possible. However, on my exit interview with the CPL, I asked how I could be improving my press ups. He basically said just do more throughout the day to the bleep. Same with pull ups and sit ups. For example, every time you go into a certain room do 10, and then the next day 12 etc. Thats on top of your normal workout, but I think I was overdoing it and wasn't physically able to recover in time.

Because you have 7 weeks definitely take the slow and steady route, so the gainers routine is best. Thats what I'll be doing in the RT.

So to sum up: gainers routine every morning, do your normal workout, vary the focus of these sessions or do what you would normally do, and on top of that do a few more sets of press ups and pull ups throughout the day.

If you do a session where you smash out a huge amount of press ups, take a complete rest from them the following day. I was certainly underestimating recovery.

Other good exercises that did seem to work was the light weight bench press to a high rep range for the endurance aspect so id do that every so often.

Having said all that, its still my weak spot so im no expert. But what the PTI Cpl said must be good advice!

Let me know how you get on!