Press Ups

rmc_86

Reaction score
Hello troops, I know its been asked a million times but I am still not very good at the marine style press up.

I have some weights at home and I just wanted to know what weights would help build my press up muscles.

I have a weight bench that has the butterfly part for arms and also a section for leg weights if this makes sense, I also have a chin up bar.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated, thanks guys!

D

Deleted

I have the same problem as you, the way that I've improved on them is just by doing about 75% of my best when I get home, then resting, then doing another 75%. After these I try to do as many as I can, then sometimes repeat this. Over the period of 2 weeksI've got my maximum up by 10. It might not be the most perfect or quickest way to do it but it's worked for me.

rmc_86

Reaction score
Cheers mate, never thought of that, usually get to about 10 and think I am *$%^ at these and just stop:(

rmc_86

Reaction score
Hello troops, I know its been asked a million times but I am still not very good at the marine style press up.

I have some weights at home and I just wanted to know what weights would help build my press up muscles.

I have a weight bench that has the butterfly part for arms and also a section for leg weights if this makes sense, I also have a chin up bar.

Any advice at all would be much appreciated, thanks guys!
Anyone else got any other suggestions with the above?

Thanks

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
From experience guys those who say they can do 100 pressups straight and for the like, very likely cant. I have met a few guys over my training and they agree even 70 in the PRMC is a good ask, most lads that were on my PRMC were only close to that, and thats with the adrenaline pumping.

My best advice (from a PTI at lympstone) *text deleted* experienced is this.

Do a max out even if you can do 10 maximum mark it down and half it.

(Im marking on 20 which at a educated guess is what people who are on this forum realistically can achieve at the startof training)

When you get back from work at night set your timer on your watch to 30 mins, and do this every other night.

Week 1 - bang out 10 press ups, 10 sit ups and 1 pull up every 30 mins. till you get shattered or go to bed.

Week 2 - Bang out 15 press ups, 20 sit ups and 2 pull ups every 30 mins.

Week 3 - Bang out 20 press ups, 25 situps and 3 pull ups every 30 mins

Week 4 - Bang ou 25 press ups, 35 sit ups and 4 pull ups every 30 mins.

Week 5 - Do a Max outs

Week 6 - Re asess and do the same sort of calculations.

Its going good for me at the moment

rmc_86

Reaction score
From experience guys those who say they can do 100 pressups straight and for the like, very likely cant. I have met a few guys over my training and they agree even 70 in the PRMC is a good ask, most lads that were on my PRMC were only close to that, and thats with the adrenaline pumping.

My best advice (from a PTI at lympstone) *text deleted* experienced is this.

Do a max out even if you can do 10 maximum mark it down and half it.

(Im marking on 20 which at a educated guess is what people who are on this forum realistically can achieve at the startof training)

When you get back from work at night set your timer on your watch to 30 mins, and do this every other night.

Week 1 - bang out 10 press ups, 10 sit ups and 1 pull up every 30 mins. till you get shattered or go to bed.

Week 2 - Bang out 15 press ups, 20 sit ups and 2 pull ups every 30 mins.

Week 3 - Bang out 20 press ups, 25 situps and 3 pull ups every 30 mins

Week 4 - Bang ou 25 press ups, 35 sit ups and 4 pull ups every 30 mins.

Week 5 - Do a Max outs

Week 6 - Re asess and do the same sort of calculations.

Its going good for me at the moment
Excellent thanks for this Stacka al give this a go!

rhodri

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
what my afco said and ive only been doing a few days but looks good

do 6 press ups then count to 6 go down and do 5 then count to 5 then do 4 and so on till one then start from one and go back up again do this every other day and when you feel comfortable doing it step up to 7 and so on

Iago

Reaction score
yeah, pyramid training works for a lot of people - that's what I'm desperately trying in the 2 weeks before POC!

S

Sotiris

Press ups are perhaps the easiest things to improve. But you have to do the right ones. Don't focus on the "Marine" push up at first (elbows in, head up and quickly), I found that this isn't really good for developing the muscle group. Once more I was always taught that you should do all exercise with a straight spine.

When I first started in around 2006 I could do 30 max. Now my max is 80 but I can do between 60 and 70 quite comfortably.

The way I feel is the best way to improve is thus:

Assume the push up position, lower yourself slowly until your nose is touching the floor. Hold for 3 seconds and push up as fast as you can. Keep going like this until you absolutely cannot do anymore. Remember to breath in as you lower yourself down and out as you push up. Once you've found your max keep reaching it for a week.

You can vary this exercise by elevating your feet...use a chair or something, this makes it a little harder.

The point I'm getting at is that I believe the fastest way to improve is to reach your max everytime. Really push yourself. Don't just do 10-15-20 or however many your comfortable with and stop. Reach your limit and when that becomes a little easier you know you're doing better. That's called progression.

Then maybe once a week try and add 5 more, or 10...or how ever many you can.

That's overload.

This is all just my opinion, but I can promise that it worked for me.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Sotiris,

that seems to be really fair advice. I might try that see if it gets easier to maintain that.

Cheers

S

Sotiris

Aye,

Obviously everyone works differently but I can honestly say that that technique really worked for me. Also, bugger rest days, push ups arn't really taxing and you recover from them pretty quickly so do them every day. I try a session in the morning straight after I roll out of bed and a session at night.

Here's another brilliant technique but warning: not for the inexperienced or untrained.

The basic goal of this exercise is to reach 100 good push ups.

It is best done between 2 or more people, if you are by yourself you'll just have to count.

Assume the press-up position opposite each other.

One person does 1 and waits while the other does 1.

One person does 2 and waits while the other does 2.

" 3 " 3

All the way up to 10 and then back down again.

While you are waiting for your opponent to do his reps the preferred resting position is with your arse high in the air. If you really can't manage, rest on your knees but I don't really consider this as appropriate.

If you are by yourself count your imaginary opponents reps.

It is perhaps the most painful push up exercise I can inflict on myself. You'll feel your entire upper body screeming (if done properly) and all your ligaments will burn.

Try it once every 2-3 days and you'll find that any other push-up exercise becomes easier as a result.

For a lighter version of this just go up to 5/6/7 whatever you find managable.

This exercise is designed to push you through what you'd normally do, which is why it's good to have an opponent..hehe competition breeds improvement.

Have fun!

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As far as supplementing with weights, I'd do high rep Side/front laterals for your shoulders(mix it up with static holds and slow reps), high rep bench press and maybe some high rep tricep extensions.

High rep so you can build your endurance.

Although the above will help the best thing still is to just do pressups, I've nearly doubled the amount I can do in about 3 weeks, from around 15(Marine style) to 34. And ofcourse mix up the pressup style.

The Marine when I was at the AFCO reccomended training 6 times a week and he reccomended doing diamond pushups, said if you can do a decent amount of them, your regular/marine pushups will shoot up.

Good luck. :)

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Try getting into the press up position,
and then get a friend to put a 5/10k disk on your back,
do as many press ups as you can,
then get him to take off,
then do as many you can without it.

Joe

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I don't mind doing the diamond press-ups its just my elbows click when i do them, should this be happening ? :S.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I'm not Doctor,
but it's probably fine mate,
I can click my neck,
and my (probably sh*t) Doctor says that it's fine.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Best training

At the end of the day (like that phrase isn't over used!) the best way to improve your press ups and muscle groups used therein, is to do press ups! As mentioned you can make them harder (add resistance) feet up on a chair is good or friends hand on the back. Try doing them with your hands really far apart, two or more shoulder widths (shoulder widths are always smaller than you think). This really burns your back and shoulder muscles. Always keep your head facing forward, you will notice this is harder because holding your head up uses many of the same muscles as press ups. Same reason why holding your legs off the ground when doing sit ups makes them harder.
Something I love doing (*text deleted* Im weird) is doing a headstand against a wall and pushing into a hand stand and back down, and repeating as many times as poss. Im not even sure if that helps the press ups but they're good fun!

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well there are no weigh lifting exercises (like bench press) that would help your press ups much. I had been lifting weights for a year and struggled to do one press up when I first started! Good job I have improved exceptionally since then.

You will also find the same with guys who are massive but can barely do a press up, because they would not do it often as press ups are not mass builders but help your core strength.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Also try things like plank and plank raises,
basically,
get into the press up position,
but instead of being on your hands,
be on the edges of your forearms,
and hold that position for a few minutes,
then turn up on your side for a minute or two (can be done with weights also),
then go back down to plank,
then turn onto the other side.

I found this helps with general core strength,
and helps you to get used to being in the press up (ish) position and keeping your back straight.

Joe

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
u should try puttin *text deleted* legs on a chair or something so *text deleted* facing down they seem to be harder dunno if they help an it's a change from normal press ups.