Press ups

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just seeing what people are doing for press ups. Im at a somewhat dis-advantage, because I have a shoulder that has been dislocated. So I find one shoulder is always struggling more then the other which makes it difficult.

Anyway, as for the main question. Do you think it's wise to do pushups everynight, or always get 1 day of rest inbetween ?. My situps are coming along great, and I can bang out about 8 pull ups without a problem. Currently I can only do about 30 - 35 pressups.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
what do you mean by 60 % max and so fourth ?

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ty said:
what do you mean by 60 % max and so fourth ?
60% of what you can manage.
So you said you can do 35, 60% of that is 21. So you should be doing 4 sets of 21 etc.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Strange. I was assuming that, but in terms of getting better, I was always under the assumption that pushing yourself to failure is the only way to improve. I'll try this for 2 weeks and see how it goes.

So Im assuming it's never good to do pushups everyday.

RC

Reaction score
Ty said:
Strange. I was assuming that, but in terms of getting better, I was always under the assumption that pushing yourself to failure is the only way to improve. I'll try this for 2 weeks and see how it goes.

So Im assuming it's never good to do pushups everyday.
I used to think the same Ty.

I have read loads of posts where people recommend doing sets of max press-ups everyday etc.

*text deleted*, pushing hard everyday leads to reduced benefit. You have to allow sufficient recovery in order to improve. This applies to all forms of training ( Max Strength / Power / Aerobic / Anaerobic etc ).

It's a case of providing enough stress / stimulus to facilitate adaptation, whilst allowing your muscles the time to recover and adapt.

Rich.

Oz21

Reaction score
On the Royal Marines website they suggest:

Monday - pressups/situps/pullups
tuesday - pressups/situps/pullups
wednesday - none
thursday - pressups/situps/pullups
friday - pressups/situps/pullups
saturday - max all excercises once
sunday - none