Pretty bad blisters 10 days before RT

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I took my boots with me to wear in on a lake distract trip. Needless to say it took its toll on my feet, and I've got a nasty blister on each heel from the boots rubbing.

It feels like they aren't getting any closer to healing because everytime I have to go somewhere with shoes on they keep getting caught again.

It's really frustrating because I want to be running and training but they stop me. What can I do to ensure they are healed for the 30th?

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I took my boots with me to wear in on a lake distract trip. Needless to say it took its toll on my feet, and I've got a nasty blister on each heel from the boots rubbing.

It feels like they aren't getting any closer to healing because everytime I have to go somewhere with shoes on they keep getting caught again.

It's really frustrating because I want to be running and training but they stop me. What can I do to ensure they are healed for the 30th?

Have you tried Zinc Oxide?

Also, you might *text deleted* look at Compeed, got some today for when I go to PRMC, it's a gel layer you put over to stop the pain and help them heal. You can get it in boots.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Today I got some Zinc Oxide tape but it isn't much use now, but more-so for preventing blisters.

I got some special pads from one of the physio-therapists at my college too. I'm not sure what they are but they are blue and have a kind of jelly on them. I've stuck some on just now but I don't know if they will heal faster with them on or by just leaving them with nothing on them to breathe?

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
problem with compeed et al is they slow down healing ask ste preece for exact details (he mentioned it on a thread called blisters started by 0.01%) but there's this spray you can get that hurts like a mother b*tch but will harden the blistered skin up in a matter of days, or try surgical spirit. but don't keep them covered up in plasters etc
Edit:Zinc oxide helps healing *text deleted*

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
problem with compeed et al is they slow down healing ask ste preece for exact details (he mentioned it on a thread called blisters started by 0.01%) but there's this spray you can get that hurts like a mother b*tch but will harden the blistered skin up in a matter of days, or try surgical spirit. but don't keep them covered up in plasters etc
Edit:Zinc oxide helps healing *text deleted*

Will the Zinc Oxide tape help recovery?

These gel pads I have on now seem to have stopped the pain and I think they help recovery. I'll see how they do.

I have some spirit stuff actually it's meant to harden the skin on your feet it's called 'Witch Hazel' I think it is. I'm starting to apply it regularly. Don't know if that would help the blisters though.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
These pads I've been wearing are called '2nd skin blister pads'

I took them off earlier and I think maybe I should of left them on as it seemed to pull off some skin and they were left incredibly sore. So I've put some fresh ones on again and I'm just *text deleted* leave them on for 2-3 days because they remove all pain and hopefully increase recovery.

But it's really demoralizing they looked/felt worse than they did at the beginning. It's really depressing not being able to train properly and with RT a week on Monday I'm paranoid I won't recover in time and I feel like I'm loosing fitness. I haven't been on a proper run in ages.

Ahhh... I'm sure it will be alright

SHorgan

Reaction score
Elastaplast.. not sure if it can be bought in the UK, but I'm guessing something similar can. Personally I'd get some of those gel plasters, then use elastaplast (or it's equal - it is basically a sticky bandage) around your whole foot.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
covering the blisters up will slow healing see the links above

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
covering the blisters up will slow healing see the links above

These pads I have on at the moment though claim to speed up the healing process. So many people say different things it's just confusing.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
in the long run yeah but wearing those pads will keep the skin from dying out if you've got RT starting in a week or so desperate measures could be called for. in your situation i'd read the links and do whatever i could to dry the skin as quickly as possible, but they're your feet :) read the info though.

Nahoon

Reaction score
Advise you use compeed, covered over by zinc oxide - its what we are advised to use in RMR phase 1.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Advise you use compeed, covered over by zinc oxide - its what we are advised to use in RMR phase 1.
that's good if you're in RT but if you're a week before it you need to give your feet as much a chance to recover before RT starts otherwise you'll be starting with open, soft blisters and have to keep compeed on all the way through to the summer break