Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Previous experience

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Lemon, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Lemon

Lemon New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I am near the end of the recruitment process and I am interested if my previous experience will be of any use to me.
    I was previously a reservist in another country, specifically infantry, I was a Corpral and have done 60mm mortar, mag SF, .5 hmg courses and such. Will this be taken into consideration when i complete RT? Will it make it easier or harder to get on these courses again? I will obviously have some skillfade but im curious to know

• Like Like x 1
  2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Very kind offer and with a recent influx of RMR hopefuls I am sure your kind offer will generate some positive attention.

I would suspect that it is incredibly unlikely that any of your qualifications will carry across unfortunately. The Tactics, Techniques and Procedures of the British Armed Forces understandably differ from the Irish Army. It really is a question of insurance & operational effectiveness to ensure that any range or weapon qualification is obtained from an accredited training unit within HM FORCES. Nobody wants their signature on something should the worst happen.

If you can provide records or a course reports for your Irish qualifications then it won’t do any harm to inform your CoC in order to make them aware. The minimum rank requirement to hold the likes of range qualifications will still apply.

Best of luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lemon

Lemon New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Im not sure what offer your referring to? Unless its just some sarcasam that im missing?
    Anyway, yes I understand things will be different, thats part of why im going RMR and not TA, I'll experience more new things with RMR with a wider variety of training courses I expect.
    I dont expect to be qualified on anything without going through the training, no different to any other job in that sense, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens

• Seen Seen x 1
  4. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

No, sorry I misread. I thought you were offering to help others who may be going through the recruitment process. It’s been a long week.

You’ve answered your own question with regards to qualifications. By all means liaise with your CoC, your knowledge of heavy weapon systems could definitely grease the wheels mate.

Good luck with it all

5. Illustrious

Illustrious Royal Marines Commando - Moderator

I cant remember which RMR unit it is, but they've all got their own SQ's as such, so the previous experience will help when it comes to refresher training. Your qualifications likely wont transfer but you should already know your way around those weapons so will be expected to 'step up' as it were and impart your experience and knowledge onto others to help speed up the learning process.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Exactly. The reason the quals are unlikely to carry over is due to consistency and standardisation across the range of training activities delivered by the British Armed Forces.

I was formerly a British soldier with operational experience in Afghanistan. I am now an authorised firearms Police Officer. The majority of weapons used in the police service are in 9 mm, 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm calibres- all of which I had previous experience of operating with. Although my qualifications did not carry over from the Army to the Police my knowledge, experience and confidence did. I found the initial weapon handling tests to be nothing more than a box ticking exercise. Knowledge is power!

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My bold. You'll be carrying it then. :)
    But seriously, best of luck.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  8. PotentialBootneck

PotentialBootneck Well-Known Member

Off topic of the thread...I’ve just ran 4 miles in 27:28. So 6:52mm is this actually a good time or is it gash?

• Seen Seen x 1
  9. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Lemon

Lemon New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Yeah but thats somthing everyone has to do so im sure it wont be a problem, thanks

11. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

It was a joke, lighten up.