Previous Military Experience?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Does anyone else have any previous experience of any sort? Whether Reserves or training in any branch?

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was in RT with 914 Troop in 2006 before being medically discharged with shin splints.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Everyone goes on about these dreaded shin splints, never even heard about them in army basic. Is it a sudden injury or does it slowly happen to you? How long did it affect you for?
What can you do to prevent them?

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The correct term is MTSS (Medial Tibial Stress Syndrome). It is a stress related problem often brought on by training too much too quickly, running in boots or running with weight.

It is often a sympton of an underlying problem, commonly overpronation/being flat footed. If you have shin splints due to being flat footed one solution is wearing insoles to correct the alignment of your feet. I use a pair from www.yoursole.co.uk and find that they work a treat.

Best thing to avoid them is to make sure you train progressively and dont run with weight or in boots prior to RT.

I actually had them prior to starting RT although I didnt realise as I had presumed the discomfort in my legs was just normal muscle ache following a good run. It wasn't until I started RT that the problem really developed and the discomfort became quite painful and began to really effect me.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
By Tibial, does that mean it affects the tibia? Is it actual bits of bone 'splinting' off your shin?
So when do you think you'll be back in training?

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yes it is the tibia but it effects the muscle not the bone.

It is the connective tissue between the muscle and bone that splits and tears which is obviously fairly painful and really effects your running speed.

Hope to be back in training October at the latest.

jeremy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
cambell which insole did you buy the ultra thick one!? :D

Babybell

Reaction score
My previous militry experience includes Cannon fodder, Call of Duty, and medal of honour...Okay very lame joke but I couldnt help myself. I hope if I ever get involed in a real engagment I dont do as badly as I seem to do in these games!

I think alot of people seem to go out running in boots or with weights thinking that the training will help them with PRMC or RT. There should be warnings against it in all the training sections on forums. In big bold letters.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah im with Babybell, I've been killed 500 Times but i still live on! :laugh: Cant beat Battlefield Bad Company And Call Of Duty 4!.. Sorry for changing the convo!..

Sam

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
running in boots cant do that much damage i used to be ina rmy cadets we ran in boots all the time i never had problems i dunoo why every one seems to think it will be bad i mean yeas mayby in 1 or 2 cases it has but it dosnt mean every one will get injured

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Not what you could quiet call previous military experience but i was in recruit training last year... 946tp.

Shall be re joining soon!!

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Recruit training counts, at least you have a heads up and will be able to crack on and fit in a lot faster. You should be able to give your fellow recruits good pointers as well and your troop will be able to start on the right foot, less press ups!

I dont understand the 'not running in boots' either , *text deleted* as soon as you join you will be for about 32 weeks.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I ran in boots before my recruit training, did me a world of good, got them fully worn in and got my legs used to running with the bit more weight on the feet as they weigh alot more than trainers, which for me made me be able to run faster with trainers on.

They aquired a few scratches but i used these as my field boots, you get issued a 2nd pair when you arrive which are brand new, which i used as my 'on camp' boots.

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Recruit training counts, at least you have a heads up and will be able to crack on and fit in a lot faster. You should be able to give your fellow recruits good pointers as well and your troop will be able to start on the right foot, less press ups!
The lads who had been in rt before in my troop knew the score and never got picked up on anything, helpfull on locker inspections and in the field on morning inspections as you don't want to get picked up on for having rust or dirt on anything, they never got picked up not that i can remember, if you do then you're on the flank.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
running in boots cant do that much damage i used to be ina rmy cadets we ran in boots all the time i never had problems i dunoo why every one seems to think it will be bad i mean yeas mayby in 1 or 2 cases it has but it dosnt mean every one will get injured
firstly it wouldn't have caused much obvious damage *text deleted* you would have been a kid at the time- less dense bones, still growing, proportionately lighter body.
the problem with running in boots is there's no shock absorbency which means most of the kinetic energy gets transferred to knees and lower leg bones. this causes shin splints and over a longer period can encourage arthritis, this will occur in the majority of cases not just one or two, unfortunately it's basic physics. Which is why running in boots as opposed to trainers requires a certain amount of preparation.
some other forums that touch on the subject:
http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/1-9142.aspx

http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/658106477/m/3031025551

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Does anyone know when you are allowed a SUSAT on the SA80 in RT or do you get them from the start?

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You get yor SUSAT when you get issued yor rifle, but you keep that in your locker for many weeks until you have had plenty of training using your iron sights