Prmc 08/05/12 - Pretty long

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Today I passed my Prmc, with a few others from this forum. I?m not 100% sure if I got a superior or not, but I doubt I did. The Prmc was much harder than I anticipated. I could max all the gym tests before I went down, and run a 8.38 1.5mile return, but massively under performed.

Before; 62/67/11 gym tests, and a 8.30 return. On the run I came 13th out of 43 or so. It felt like a bad run. Whether it?s the lack of sleep, or trousers, or nerves, whatever, it was my worst run to date. Some lads did better than they expected. Not sure of the time, guessing around 9;10ish. Gym tests; 50/71/4. Pressups were going fine, but got pulled up early around 1min 30secs into it for resting for a couple of seconds. The pti?s are hawks. Make sure every single rep is perfect form, and you don?t rest for a couple of seconds or more. Pretty annoyed as I could easily have got to 55+. Situps was a new p.b, 71, and the colour sgt said I had good form, which was good. Keep your knees together, make sure your head and elbows touch the floor. On to the pull-ups. We were fortunate enough to get given two goes.First time I slipped off at four, and again I did the second time. Not sure what to say, I did the first four fine, but my hands got so sweaty, twice. Oh well, no point concentrating on the negatives. I got to level 12 on the bleep test, was over before I knew it. Anyway that?s stats wise I?ll try and do a breakdown now.

Tuesday ? Got up at 7am, although I didn?t have far to travel, to make sure I was tired the following night. Got ready, shaved, showered and made sure I had all the right kitlist. I spent most the morning relaxing, and talking to our own prmc fb group. This group was a massive massive massive help to me passing, as was this forum. Anyway, I met one lad from the group on the train down, Hemming the 1st, and then met a few more lads at Exeter St David?s. There were a good 15 or so of us which then caught a train to Lympstone. Arrived, watched a few nods get thrashed on the bottom field as we waited for the Cpl. We then met one of a the few cpl?s taking our prmc, this was one of the nicer cpls who was to teach us drill. Got taken to the accommodation and told to gather some kit. We arrived at 2.40pm, other lads had got there before, and were well into getting their kit together. So I started to flap trying to catch up. Relax, take your time, and make sure you get all your kit. Try all your kit on, make sure it all fits. Especially the boots. I was a 12medium, but only managed to get a 3 12mediums and 1 12small! You then polish your boots, square your kit away, wait for the rest to arrive then eat. We were meant to be doing a literacy test, but the computer suite was busy so we packed bergans for the night out instead. They showed us how to do this. This is important. Pack all the kit you want to wear TO SLEEP IN in the field. Good additions would be, extra socks/thermal wear, zinc oxide tape, boxers.. and the kit you have to. Square your bergan away, double checking you?ve got everything, ask an oppo if you?re not sure. We then got *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** for doing things to slow, 45 pressups dragged out slowly, wasn?t fun. Don?t mess around, listen to the cpl?s and just give off the right attitude. They don?t talk for their health. If you?re not sure of what you?re meant to be doing, ask your oppo?s, if no one is sure, ask your cpl. It?s better for them to repeat themselves than for you to get it wrong. Not much left to say, got 9oclockers then got our heads down. We lost our first man here when he decided it wasn?t for him.. Fair enough, it?s a big shock stepping into such a strict military environment. I was having doubts, I expect everyone was. It?s natural, just sleep through it. All the doubts were gone the following morning. We got our heads down about 22;30. One thing I must say is you?re running around against the clock most of the prmc, to make sure you?re smartly dressed or trying to reach the next detail. The prmc is not just all phys, which most diaries make it out to be. You?re in smart clothing a lot. You have to shower a fair bit. All of them are cold. It?s not just phys, it?s a 3 day assessment, 24 hours everyday.

Wednesday ? Can?t really remember how we started to be honest. Guess we woke up at 5;45, cold shower and had breakfast. I think we then had a few lectures before the first 3miler. Oh and a bit of drill. It?s very basic, and very fun, enjoy it. You have time between breakfast and the 3miler to let the food settle so eat away. The warmup is simple, if you complain about it, you?ll more than likely fail this course. You then set off on the route, paced by the Cpl. It?s a slow pace, but weird and quite uncomfortable running as a squad. Whatever. I stayed at the back, so when you stop, you?re at the front. One min rest, quick slash if you want one, and you?re off. If you want a front position don?t take a slash. The first 25m is a wrestling match pretty much. People start off sprinting and don?t maintain it, which is quite annoying. They get in the faster people?s way. The first few 100ms are on a slight incline, not a massive difference. Dig deep, and make sure you listen afterwards. Get your tally off the Cpl, and make sure you cool down and keep listening ? stay mentally alert throughout the whole course. It?s a 72hour assessment. You then go back to camp, go for food and then get ready for the gym tests. I can?t really remember much about this bit. The gym tests ? you get weighed first to make sure everything is fine. Pretty generic advice; DON?T FIDGIT. The pti?s are amazingly professional. In fact, it?s kinda what made me *text deleted**text deleted** join the RM even more, how professional they are. You?re watched like a hawk the whole time, the whole time. Make sure your bib is squared away, you stand to attention right etc. Don?t ever fidgit, it?s sweat on your forehead?? You?ll live. You soon get into the bleep test. Pretty easy, walk first few levels, then it gets going around level 10. I got to level 12, first ever bleep test, not bad. From level 10 it goes rapidly. I missed 2 in a row, but you get 3 lives, which are reset if you hit the 3rd. That kept me going from 10-12 haha! Anyway, keep note of what level you finish on, they shout it out after level 9. After this you wait for everyone else, we got to sit down for 30seconds or so. You then have to grab some matts and then lined up in sections/bib colours, and are shown form. Realistically you have a few minutes before your finished running and doing pressups, so really dig out on the bleep test. You get shown the form, and off you go. Form has to be maintained throughout, even when counting they have a form for that. Make sure your form is perfect, or you?ll get points deducted. On the pressups try not to make it look like you?re struggling. I got to 50, then they pulled me off. I rested for 2-3 secs I say, was just unlucky as a cpl was stood behind me! Oh well, you then count your oppo?s. Then onto situps etc. You then have a minute or so before doing the pull-ups, depending on your bib number. The higher your bib number the longer rest you?ll get. You?ll get a chance to rub your hands on the floor, do it. Don?t get nervous, or your hands will sweat and you?ll slip off. I can do 11 pullups at home, good form. I didn?t struggle at all with the reps, but slipped off?twice. Oh well. Still passed. I must say pull-ups are probably the easiest way to get points, so really work on grip strength. REALLY WORK ON GRIP STRENGTH. After this you don?t do anything significant other than go get changed for the swimming part. You take your gear over with you in the first place. Simple, line up, pencil dive into the water, surface, swim 4 lengths. Easy. Now my memorys hazy, I think we then went for food and maybe a lecture with more senior recruits. Basically they had been huntered, and hated it. But mentioned it?s all in the mind. It is all a state of mind. I think we were then shown how to assemble the sa80. Honestly lads, it?s easy, just pay attention, and practice. I flapped like mad. Don?t, be confident, you?ll be fine. You get given ten mins to repeat it on the last night anyway..It?s common sense. We then did the literacy tests which are so ridiculously easy, and got given some free time. Well by free time, square everything away, go for 9oclockers, and get ready for tomorrow.

Each day your next days instruction is put on the wall, your details, like 6.15 breakfast, so get up at 5.45 etc.

Black Thursday, as the Cpl?s called it. Started off nice and early, 5;30ish had a cold shower, got ready, had breakfast. Had a fair bit of time to ourselves that morning, preparing for bottom field at 9pm. Make sure you?ve planned ahead with what you?re wearing. I zinc oxided my feet, wore two pairs of socks, and wore under shorts to tackle chaffing. Got to bottom field, started a ?20min warmup? which is just an intense session. Sprinting, burpees, pressups etc, was very similar to some stuff you do at bmf. 20mins, dig deep, no-one wrapped. We then went onto low obs practicing the ropes before doing high obs. This was probably the highlight of my prmc. I hate heights, and I mean hate. We formed queues for the practice ropes and I failed 3 times. Barely finished the 4th and final practice before I had to move on. The technique is not too hard, just listen and concentrate. We then were queueing for high obs, and obviously I was at the back. I believe I was the last to finish. On the ladder up to the first part of high obs I was contemplating wrapping. But it?s not that big of a drop, so I thought I?d give it a go. Not going to lie, was *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* it. But I knew it was a pass/fail. So anyway, did the first rope, climbed up and ran across these planks..not hard. Then onto the highest rope. Nailed it. Admittedly a fair bit slower than everyone else, but still managed it. We were then back onto bottom field for 30mins. It was quite an intense session, hill sprints, carries etc etc similar to bmf. No-one wrapped. You?ll have a few blisters and then be marched back off to your accommodation. Now you have to force eat a lot of calories, but do it, you?ll need them. This is also a great time to re zinc oxide tape your feet, and adjust your boots. Then on to a coach, make sure you have water filled up etc. Oh yeh pressups are done on fists, downhill, situps facing uphill. Don?t cheat, if they say 10 burpees do 10. Don?t swear, and don?t talk to anyone else!

The endurance course? haha! It?s fun, but hard. It?s hard because you have to run hills, do horrible exercises whilst soaked and weighing a tonne. It?s achievable and doable if you have the right mind set. Every *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted*/part of the endurance course will end. Just dread the next. You go through various tunnels, sheep dip, hill carries- hardest part, and duck walking. Best thing is just to listen to the pti?s, and dig out. Understand everyone is in the same situation, just get on with it. The EC is do-able, but it?s a state of mind more than anything else I?d say. You don?t run ridiculously fast, and I think you can only fail if you fall massively behind. This bit was the hardest part of the prmc, but don?t really have much to say on it. Carries and drags were the worst part.

Before you know you?ll have finished the EC, unless you were one which wrapped. You?ll now be having a twix, ready for your 4miler. You?ll start off the run in the last bit of woods, and then reach the roads. The pace is a bit faster to start off with. I stayed somewhere towards the front, but walked a bit of it. After you square that 1km-1mile away you stop and have a hot drink, dress in 3 ranks, and start it on the road. Apparently from here there?s 20mins left. The run could determine whether you pass or fail, pretty sure that was the case for me. Remember that.This is where your mind set will come in. Some people had enough points and conveniently didn?t get very far into the run. Some people had enough points and ran until they couldn?t anymore. Personally I didn?t think I had enough points, so needed to finish the run. Some pti?s give you some advice; just turn your brain off, it?s a slow pace, just auto pilot. 22 of us finished the 4mile return. It wasn?t pretty. I finished 2nd rank, the lad in front of me could barely walk, and was holding his leg the last mile or so. The lad beside me was moaning like mad. There?s always someone suffering worse than you, stop feeling sorry for yourself. You?ll eventually get to a bit which you recgonise from the 3miler, you know you only had 1mile or so left from this. Just dig out. I had trained for this 4miler. I?d do a normal phys session then a 4mile return.

Before I?d practice; running 3miles in 20mins, straight into cycling 11miles in 26ish mins then running 4miles back. I still can?t believe how hard the 4miler run back was. It?s a state of mind. If you?re going to fail it, make sure you?re getting pulled off and not quitting. A few lads just couldn?t move and keep up. Give 100% that?s all you can do. That?s what they?re looking for, hence the determination test part..

So after a disgusting 20 or so minutes we were at the carpark, had a hot drink and had to march back to get our bergans. Your hanging out at this point, some people looked like death, but just keep going. You then get your bergans, and change into your dry clothes. I packed a bit of thermal stuff which turned out to be good. Zinc oxide tape mighta been a good idea, as you still have to wear boots. Although zinc oxide is more of a prevention, and could probably rip your skin off if you apply it at the wrong time. You then get changed into your dry kit, which feels pretty good. You still have to wear boots..my second pair were awful. As I flapped around getting kit I got three 12mediums and one 12small. As you can guess, the 12 small was battered in the wrong places, and dug deeply into the blister..making the next few hours that much better haha! You then set up your bivvies and cook rations. Not much to say, just do as your told. The ration packs aren?t too bad. At this point you?ll want to eat anything anyway. It was around 6pmish now, we had eaten, all dry, some lads got their heads down as the rest of us talked to eachother or the cpl, who was an absolute legend. They all were to be fair, but they can be really intimidating..especially the pti ! We then had the weapons test at about 8. You get ten minutes to re assemble the weapon. Your meant to be tired etc, but you won?t be too bad. If you are really tired, make sure you have a coffee from your rationpack. I flapped a bit doing the Sa80 test so had to crab walk back to where you sit..which was pretty entertaining. We were then taken out in sections and spoken to by our section leaders, we had the pti. They talk to you assuming you?ve passed..this is not the case, people had still failed. Our cpl gave us great advice bout RT, asked us how the course was etc. Really really listen. He also started us off by saying ?oh yeh, remember it pays to be a winner. See that cargo net behind you? which was about 500ms away and started to count 5,4,3. My heart sank, but by the time he gets to 3 you?re just thinking whatever, and start turning around to run. Fortunately we didn?t have to. We then went back to camp, sorted out the sentry duty for the night and got our heads down. I had to get up at 1;15, and then up at 6. Although we only had to do sentry between 9-6 so I lucked out massively only doing one shift. Sentry?s fine. Shouldn?t be that cold. Fingers crossed it won?t rain for you. I got talking to a lad who wrapped on the endurance course, but was still allowed to stay. So I thought he must have impressed them enough. Turns out he failed. Shame as he was in our grots and was quite a laugh. Then wokeup at 6am, cooked breakfast, cleaned up and marched back upto camp. We methodically packed the kit away and were finally allowed back into normal clothes, out of your boots, and started taking number 2?s. They put a sheet up on the night out and a bucket, if you want to take a number 2 you enter the lottery..the loser has to empty the contents. We were then lined up outside the accommodation and a list of names was read out. I saw my name on the list as I was close to the cpl. 33 names were read out or so. He then told us we had all failed. Absolutely gutted. But that?s just the sense of humour! When you get told you?ve passed as jable has said, it doesn?t really hit you. I didn?t really feel elated until Saturday lunch time! You then have a quick lecture with a Barclays lady and the colour sgt. He gives some great advice, and has a great sense of humour. A few people had to go for a quick medical, and when they returned he told them there must have been a mistake as there?s no certificate for them, and they failed. It was hilarious for everyone else! We then got talking bout getting in trouble with the law and were told pay any tickets etc, but if you get caught for anything serious like rape you won?t get in. Immediately the guy beside me shouted out, colours does that mean we have to stop raping, or just make sure we don?t get caught? Colours replied carry on, you can now run faster than most fat rozzers. Honestly, that?s your future boss saying that. I honestly can?t wait to get in. All the cpl?s had a really good sense of humour. So to conclude.. we went to get our new boots, which felt so good when you put them on. They were the most comfortable thing I had worn in days, as my smart civvies shoes were new and rubbing like mad. Try on different sizes until you find a good pair, you?re not in any massive rush. You then clean the accommodation and head off. At this point most of you will be lumping. Your knees will be wrecked, and you?ll be nackered. You won?t realise what you?ve done, until you feel a little better. The prmc was a lot harder than I expected, but so rewarding. Day 1 I was doubting whether I wanted do actually be a marine. On the way out I didn?t want to leave.
I?m now having a few days off training before I start smashing it again. I lucked out massively and got the RT troop I wanted, 151.

To summarize the most useful tips;
Bring zinc oxide tapes.
Really really listen to the cpl?s. Don?t be afraid to ask if you didn?t hear, it?s better than annoying them.
Make sure you?re fully prepared, physically and mentally.
Dig out blind.
Bring plenty of socks/boxers and a lot of sweets/chocolate too!

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't really proof read this. So I'll re read it and edit it accordingly when I can. Any questions fire away!

Chrisswan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
just read it mate and it made me cant wait even more until september the 4th which is when mine is! good effort buddy im happy for you that you passed

Sclark5427

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good read man I got some questions. Was there anything you would do differently to prepare if you had to do it again?and what was favorite and least favorite part of the prmc.

JustMe

Reaction score
I'm just going out swimming as I type.

I have my psychometric tomorrow morning, so as soon as I get back I will definitely give this a read, followed by some last minute revision for the first test of many on the journey we've all chosen!

GingerJoe, expect a bombardment of questions upon my return ;).

Fatboy

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Really wel done on passing, great diary too! Good luck with RT, whats the start date for 151 Troop?

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That was a brilliant diary! Did anything happen on the Friday? I am right in thinking it's Friday you go home on aren't I?
Massive well done for passing, needless to say. My only question is, would it be a good idea to take a mobile phone or leave it at home? I know you won't get chance to use it during the PRMC, but the thought of passing and then having to sit on a train for several hours before being able to tell anyone I passed is making me restless haha!

Good luck in RT.
Ross

gazmoz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah Ross take your phone if you like, you get more free time than you'd think and you can use your phone during it, obviously don't go ringing your mam or girlfriend, one lad did this and he got a bit homesick, almost wrapped on the first day told the cpl it wasn't for him but the next morning we changed his mind just as we were getting changed for the 3 miler

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers Chris! Plenty of time to smash the training if you've got to wait till September!

Sclack. Nah I wouldn't to be honest, I think my training was spot on. I would probably have worked on pullups/more grip strength, just for the sake of it. Although I could max out the tests before I went down, couldn't really have anticipated underperforming that much. If you want a superior, get your stats ridiculously high. Endurance training wise I think mine was spot on. I didn't find the endurance course ridiculously impossible, hard yeh, but the 4miler was the real hard part. Oh and the best part; either getting into the dry clothes after the 4miler. Or doing high obs, I'm terrified of heights and glad I cracked it. *text deleted*, best parts was hard cause it was a great experience. Worst part; the 4miler, or the blisters caused by the endurance course! Actually, slipping off the pullup bar was pretty bad

Fatboy it's july 23rd. I asked for that date and got it. My afco said I was very lucky!

Friday not much happened. You get kit, a lecture, and sort out all your kit you've used. It's what you'd expect it to be! You then get a certificate, and a lunch and sent on the train! Take a phone Ross, you can use it at night..or atleast we could. Just leave it in your bag. I used my phone as an alarm every morning. As Gaz said, don't ring home, no need.

Any more questions fire away!

Robbie5

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well done mate! Is there anywhere to charge your phones? And what time did you finish on Friday, I'm hopefully getting picked up by my sisters boyfriend as he's down there watching his mate pass out. So I'm hoping I'll see some of it! (I am invited) :bigsmile:

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well done mate! Is there anywhere to charge your phones? And what time did you finish on Friday, I'm hopefully getting picked up by my sisters boyfriend as he's down there watching his mate pass out. So I'm hoping I'll see some of it! (I am invited) :bigsmile:

Yeh there's plug sockets! I believe we got to the train station at lympstone about 12.10ish. We saw some RM's in blues walking down to the parade ground, so you might be able to make that. I would say it all depends on your prmc though!

Supportivedad

Reaction score
Good post

I enjoyed reading your PRMC diary, lots of detail, my son is doing his PRMC this week (15th -18th May) he is due back tomorrow and I cant wait to find out how he did. good luck for your RT.

Harvs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Great diary, thanks for sticking it up!

I enjoyed reading your PRMC diary, lots of detail, my son is doing his PRMC this week (15th -18th May) he is due back tomorrow and I cant wait to find out how he did. good luck for your RT.

Let us know how he got on when you find out!

Supportivedad

Reaction score
PRMC pass

Great diary, thanks for sticking it up!

Let us know how he got on when you find out!

My son passed his PRMC, sorry no details yet as he is travelling back home (about 7 Hours) he will post a PRMC diary shortly. Just leaving home now to collect him from the train station.

craigchapman

Reaction score
Just read your breakdown mate really given me a gd insight to the prmc I got mine 4-7 sept can't wait well to you as well sounded brutal for u but big respect for cracking on with it and passing.

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
good read mate, nice work congratz on pulling through.
Any advise on taping your feet? and getting the best fitting boots? how does that whole system work exactly? you turn up and its a free for all in a kit room or something and u just *text deleted* try and find your size with old boots? just 1 pair?

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
good read mate, nice work congratz on pulling through.
Any advise on taping your feet? and getting the best fitting boots? how does that whole system work exactly? you turn up and its a free for all in a kit room or something and u just *text deleted* try and find your size with old boots? just 1 pair?

Taping your feet is simple. Just wrap some zinc oxide around areas more likely to bleed/blister. Your heels/small toes etc. Put a few layers on. And tape it across then up and down. The more layers the harder it will be to come off!

Hmmm when you get there you have to get some simple kit. Don't flap you're in no great hurry. I think we went for dinner at five. If everyone's around the boots go n get decent fitting trousers and other kit then come back. Say you're size 12. Get a 12s n medium take them to your bed and try both on. The boots there are awful haha! And you get two pairs. Although the lads which couldn't get a second pair had to wear trainers on the night out !

aidenthomas

Reaction score
Some really good stuff on here for the lads to take on board. I passed with a superior on prmc 1-5th may. Just wondering is joe The manc we called scouse in green troop and did you manage to get RT with your brother? only thing I can say is a wish I had known about these threads before I went down because although I had a superior I really had to dig out blind for it. The most important thing is to prepare yourself physically and mentally. Obviously you know what's in store on these days so attempt to make your training as similar as possible. Also be the grey man don't stick out, the nail that sticks out the furthest gets hammered, so just get *text deleted* head down and smash it with everything you've got and leave nothing in the tank. Before you know it you'll be on the train home with your new boots for RT smashing the Stella and sucking each other off about how well you did. Good luck to everyone for rt training and prmc.

HazzaH

Reaction score
Well done on your pass too! Not too sure about sucking each other oof though :eek:
:unsure: