Prmc 10 weeks away - shin splints

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Rogerst, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Rogerst

Rogerst New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi everyone, I have a prmc booked for January the 16th, all though I know this is over two months away, I’m concerned the shin splints I have developed may hinder my training, any suggestions? I was hoping to swim regularly for a week to two weeks and get back to running training? Thanks in advance!

2. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Take two weeks off!! Spend absolutely minimum time weight bearing!! Place the affected leg in a welly boot filled with water and ice. 20 mins on 1 hour off, for 2-3 cycles.

Swim, Row or cycle. Try some massage too, you can do this yourself.

Then gradually test the leg out. Preferably off road first? Then progress to harder surfaces.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Rogerst

Rogerst New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thank you very much il give all a go right now! Off road is fine I live in the sticks, lots of swimming it is! Cheers

4. p04

p04 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    stretch eveything, particularity every muscle and tendon from the knee down. roll out the muscle on the shin using a barbell, paying more attention to the tender spots. perform a deep calf stretch and work on increasing your ankle mobility to such a point that you can perform a pistol squat with your legs together, all the way down whilst keeping your heels planted on the floor. stretch as often as you can and stay as hydrated as you can. i myself have a case of jumpers knee where by my lower platellar tendon is inflamed and a slight case of shin splint which is attributing to it. i found stretching, performing a calf wall stretch with a block underneath the toes of the back foot to really help get it as deep as possible. also stretching the front of the shin worked great. i would for example put a foam roller between my legs as if performing a triangle choke and with my hand, bend my ankle around the roller. since you have 10 weeks you should take at least two weeks off whilst stretching often, say twice a day. for my injury at least, i found running on the treadmill at lost less impact full and is allowing for me to train for my PRMC (on tuesday) whilst still holding the injury. basically stretching is the key, you are probably very tight and it will relieve all the tension around the shin bone, bones should be able to bend slightly but if you are too tight then the movement is limited. stretch everything from the waist down, hamstrings glutes quads just to make sure. you could be tight anywhere

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  5. Rogerst

Rogerst New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Wow cheers mate, il give all of that a go! Best of luck Tuesday youl smash it

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rogerst

Rogerst New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    UPDATE
    went for a gentle run yesterday evening and still felt a little sore, no way near as bad but still something there, would you reccomend another week or two off of running?
    Prmc is now 8 weeks away, if the injury persists at which point to i sadly ask to push back the course?
    Thanks!

7. Clumsy

Clumsy Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'd give it another week. I had the same problem and increased my fitness by rowing 500m x 10 twice a week on a rower. If I remember correctly I only started running 6 weeks before PRMC after a 7 week absence and passed with a 9.03 BFT and 12.5 on the beep. Trust me mate if you do the rows you'll go back to running much fitter than you were before your injury. I know a rower who rarely runs and banged out an ultra marathon the other day. You don't have to run all the time to be good at it.

8. Clumsy

Clumsy Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    In my opinion 5 weeks is plenty.

9. Rogerst

Rogerst New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    That’s great to hear, and rather reassuring thanks! I’ve been swimming/rowing lots and taking the extra time to smash out a few extra press ups etc, thanks for the advice mate!

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Consider speaking with your Careers Adviser anyway just to keep him or her in the loop and to seek advice. Several lads on here have deferred their PRMC to get over injuries and niggles so that they have the best possible chance of passing PRMC. It may not be necessary for you to defer but everyone—particularly you—will then have a plan to kick about.

Reading posts on this forum from lads who have passed PRMC it seems that they are being offered start dates for RT within weeks following PRMC if they choose to take up the offer. One message which is repeatedly emphasised is that nobody should consider starting RT with a pre-existing condition because it will be aggravated, so time spent now in resting and therapy will save you time in the long run (no pun intended). :)

If you haven't already seen it, take a look at this:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/shin-splints-please-read.102427/

Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rogerst

Rogerst New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Appreciate the advice mate I shall drop them a message tomorrow! like you say I 100% want to go and pass and be able to take a start date soon after! I would rather defer and pass than try with a niggle and regret it later on!

12. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

I had the exact same issue as you back when I did my PRMC. What fixed mine was twice a day filling a bath with ice and sitting in it for 10-15 minutes as well as plenty of stretching of the lower calf muscle known as the soleus. During training our PTI hammered us about stretching the lower calf to avoid shin splints. He used to explain how a lot of the time shin splints are a result of tightness in this particular muscle or the hamstring.

Keep your head up and ensure you rest, ice and stretch for the next couple of weeks. 4 weeks out if you're still struggling pull the plug and rearrange your PRMC. The corps isn't going anywhere soon and you'll end up seeing yourself off.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Rogerst

Rogerst New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks mate that’s also really helpful, really appreciate you all taking the time to help out! Fingers crossed lots of ice and stretching later il be good to go

14. GreenTreeSurgeon

GreenTreeSurgeon New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Yeah mate stretch your calfs 7 times a day, Ice 3 times a day and after run , and have a look at the clam shell exercise for your glutes . I kept getting shin splints before. As soon as I started stretching loads and incorporating that exercise they would go within a week and I’d be back running again. Haven’t had any problems for 2 months now.

15. Rogerst

Rogerst New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks for the reply mate il give that a go also! Thanks! *text deleted* have some strong ass glutes before this year is over