PRMC 12th September Diary

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by Rob20, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Alright guys. Haven't seen too many diaries for a while and I found them a massive help so I'll do my best to give a detailed account of the week.

Tuesday is simple enough, travel down (meeting up with guys certainly helps pass the time so get stuck in). Once you get to CTC you'll wait by the platform before a Corporal will come and get you. Then it's a case of getting kit issued, unpacking, a couple of lectures and then scran.

You'll be up early each morning at 0530 and I didn't sleep much the Tuesday night so was pretty knackered throughout the Wednesday but you're too busy to notice it to be honest. We started off the day with a drill session which was good fun and pretty basic. We then met our PTI who was quality. Massive guy with tatts and proper commando tash. But he was a right laugh so don't flap. You'll do a heavy warm up before each physical evolution except RMFA so get that into your training. I was in the front rank for the first 1.5 and it was almost a speed march. You'd have brief periods of fast walking but the rest was run at what felt like 7:30 min miles I guess. You'll get a couple of minutes to piss or sort your laces and then it's time to go for the return. The first 500m or so is very tight and we had a big group so watch your footing. Give it everything on this. It's a relief to get points In the bag early. After BFT we had some lectures I believe and a knowledge test which was fine if you've done your research. We marched down to Hunter Hall for the RMFA and I kid you not, it felt like a tornado came past CTC. Howling winds and rain flying in at the horizontal. Freezing. Was pretty funny and we all had a laugh after about that. The test itself starts with the Vo2. PTI will keep pace up to level 3 I think and then it's all best effort. By now we had lost a couple of lads. Press ups sit ups and pull ups are pretty simple, watch the demo and keep good form. The swim assessment is basic too. If your not strong in the water get some practice in because we lost another here I believe. In the gym or whenever you are stood to, do not move, fidget or anything otherwise you'll get burpees or tuck jumps like some of the lads did. At some point on the Wednesday we got a few minutes of phys for not numbering off in time. Alot of press up holds and squat pulsing which wasn't nice.

Wednesday night my room was all relatively relaxed in all honesty and we all had an awesome laugh throughout the course but Thursday morning everyone was abit nervous you could tell. We went for bottom field and did a big warn up again just before we did the confidence test on the tarzan course. Don't worry about that, it's fine. Just run and punch the net. Once everyone done this we ran to bottom field and watched and then did 3/4 obstacles at a time before doing a full run through. It's disgusting. By time you hit the 5ft wall you'll be hanging out but just keep going. It's only like 3 and a half minutes so give it everything to ensure you get enough points.
    The determination tests were absolutely disgusting. Bunny hops will give you nightmares and all of us were still joking about them on the way home. You'd do them for about 200m up hill. The first set we lost a few guys on this. Then it was into crawls and carries. I'd guess it was about 100m of front drags, reverse drags, pistol drags (AWFUL) and then a baby carry to finish that. We lost a few on that part. Then again we had another 150-200m bunny hop session. I may be missing bits but I think after that we would submerge ourselves in the monkey bar water do 50 burpees Sprint to the pull up bars that overlook bottom field. You'd then repeat the same thing but with press ups etc. Shortly after that we had pays to be a winner from the monkey bars up to the pull up bars which includes a really steep hill and then back down to the PTI. All in all I'd say it's like a 250m Sprint maybe. First 6 got to rest. I came in 8th so went again but managed to come in quick on the second so rested. One guy wrapped here because he had to do one more Sprint but that was the last thing he would have had to do. We couldn't believe it standing there watching him. All I can say is, unless you're miles back they won't pull you off. Just keep going until they TELL (not ask) you to stop. As far as I remember that was that. We then Marched (hobbled) back to the grots, stripped off in the quad got showered and then had scran in the quad.
    Endurance course was the final hurdle and everyone in our room was well up for it and I doubt anyone would have quit even if they kept us going. It was a great group of lads. Once again, warm up was intense. You follow after the PTI through hills and streams etc of Woodbury common until you'd get to a particularly steep hill or tunnel etc. It followed the similar structure to bottom field. Something like 30 burpees, hill sprints. 30 press ups, hill sprints etc etc. Then onto the next. After each of the tunnels you'd do 10's. 10 press ups 10 squats and 10 burpees. You'd then go back round and repeat that until you had done both tunnels. You come to Peters pool and submerge yourself for 5 seconds, or what you think is 5 seconds... We did this like 3/4 times. FREEZING. Long story short, you then do a shed load of crawling through absolutely terrible terrain. You'll get battered by rocks and pebbles and grit etc but just keep going. The sheep dip is nothing to worry about. It's a submerged tunnel yes, but all you have to is hold your breath, your mates will push you in and pull you out it's fine. By that point you'll be wet and cold enough that the sheep dip won't really shock you so don't worry just get in there. What came next was the worst part of the course for alot of lads myself included. A circuit of like a Sprint followed by about 100m up hill bunny hops and then I guess about 100m of bear crawls before repeating this. This smashed your legs because your carrying so much extra weight with all the water and crap you've been through. Basically the rest of the course follows on from this for what feels like forever. Lots of press ups, squats and burpees. More hill sprints and tunnels etc. At this point you've put yourself through so much crap that wrapping would be absolutely ridiculous. Everyone was cramping but kept on going. After a while we appeared in an opening and saw the minibus. I wasn't convinced it was over to be honest but we all fell in and were told to strip off and grab a jacket and mars bar. Getting on the coach wasn't the same relief you feel at the end of a marathon when your overcome with joy. I was just absolutely exhausted but I think by that point your into overdrive and would have kept going regardless. Weird feeling. But that mars bar was the best mars bar of my life.

Thursday night was then just deservicing the kit and cleaning the grots. After that we had medical and PT briefs etc and from then the time was our own. Guys in my room had a right laugh and I'd be well happy to be in their troop.

Friday we had more briefs and got issued boots and certificates etc. Quite basic. My advice would be guys, if you pass Wednesday all you have to do is not quit. Being at the front of the pack will help because you'll rest while the others are catching up. Give 100% on everything and you'll be fine. You'll find it hard regardless, in fact in 99% of people id say it's the toughest thing you've ever done. Also the training team were all quality. It can be abit intimidating at times but they're a quality laugh and will answer any questions you have too so don't be afraid to ask them questions when given the opportunity to.

As far as I can remember that is relatively accurate although of course this is just my experience so take it with a pinch of salt.

Any questions ask away.

• Like Like x 9
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 4
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  2. wetpaperbag

wetpaperbag New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Nice one mate, congratulations on the pass. How'd you find the BFT compared to running it on your own ? and is it all tarmac?

3. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yer all tarmac. It wasn't my best time but like I said it was congested at the start but I still finished first half I think so was happy enough. Having someone infront of you is good because you try and catch them and then catch the next guy

4. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Brilliant result!! Congratulations!!

5. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    well done mate! its been a while coming for you hasnt it? have you got a start date??

6. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yes mate. Applied 4.5 years back. Went to prmc Jun 15 and messed me ankle up but I wasn't ready then. My mental strength wasn't what it is now.

Think we're all looking at november. Fingers crossed earlier. We all got on really well so want to stay together

7. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Well done mate, you must be hyped! me and a couple of other lads have the 6th of november start date. let me know if you get it!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vacate

Vacate Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Did you manage to meet the lads in foundation?

9. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yer. They were on week 1 day 3. They looked in a pretty stressed way haha. Worried a few of us but it is what it is

10. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Well done, it was you who gave me the idea to become a lifeguard (regretting that now though 2 years later haha) but now i'm finally in the process, best of luck in RT and beyond!

11. Vacate

Vacate Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    My mate was there, bless. Hopefully he was doing alright.

12. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Ahh yer sorry for that but hope it's helped your swimming. I had to stop after 18 months of cleaning poolside. Good luck with your application

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. RMCSF

RMCSF Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    What sorts of questions did you ask the lads in foundation?

14. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Erm... I think stuff like what would you do to better prepare if you could go back a month.
    Hows the phys etc

15. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

No questions @Rob20 but well done on your pass and thanks for taking time to post a diary.

The local tourist board describes such weather as "bracing". :)

16. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Bracing it was!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Haha no worries, there's worse things I could have done plus I still do it now so one of my main motivations is wanting to leave!

18. aiker123

aiker123 New Member

congrats on the pass! With the new points system does that mean that everyone carries onto day 2?

19. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    No. Do not rely on the assault course. Get your points early otherwise you could get pulled

20. RMCSF

RMCSF Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    well done on your pass, do you have a training program you followed leading up to prmc that worked well?