PRMC 17-033 Diary and tips.

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by jerseyjimbo, Jan 29, 2018.

1. jerseyjimbo

jerseyjimbo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Alright Lads, found this forum incredibly useful so thought i'd spend a bit of time contributing.
    No new info, just sharing experiences from my PRMC along with some tips for those guys who have their's looming... Won't mention any names to protect people's anonymity.

Arrival
    Arrived at CTCRM in the morning because I flew into exeter, pretty much sat twiddling my thumbs for a few hours whilst taking as long as possible to unpack and brush up on core history. Eventually another potential recruit arrived around 12:30, we grabbed our kit plus a pair of boots and got to polishing as the rest of the guys showed up. The atmosphere was pretty chilled at this point, after diner we had our initial brief to let us know how things would go down over the next few days. From then on S*text deleted*T got serious, we were instructed on how we were expected to behave at Lympstone and how to address members of the training team. Although the atmosphere was different, the corporal giving the brief was a great guy and had us all in stitches, you could tell he loved the core and he did a good job inspiring us.

Day 1
    05:00 wake up, straight in the shower and to a bit of cleaning (of the accommodation) to make things a bit easier for yourself before your first detail. First order of business for the day was a bit of drill, the corporal kept it pretty lighthearted... you're not expected to be a pro, just listen, take it seriously, don't be a T*T and all will be well. The drill was good because it helped the food go down before the BFT, during which the rain was coming down sideways. It's best effort but don't be silly with your pacing, a lad shot off at the start and ultimately gassed out before the end, just give your best, at the end of the day its only a mile and a half.
    After the BFT we did a bit of core knowledge, had some food and went down for the RM gym tests (MSFT, Push ups, Sit Ups and Pull Ups - in that order) followed by the swimming test which consisted of jumping off the board, two lengths breast stroke and recovering the brick... if you can swim its easy, if not practice and it will be easy.

Day 2
    Same routine as the day before up until after breakfast... after which we marched (or attempted to march) down to the bottom field. First things first they get the confidence at height test out the way. It's the part of the Tarzan assault course where you *text deleted* run across a beam and leap across to catch yourself on a net. Not *text deleted* lie I was S*text deleted**ing myself but it's not that high and as long as you listen to the instruction and don't hesitate you will be fine, I let myself down in the graded assessments the day before, so pushed my way to the front of the group and went second after a lad who had already been in recruit training. After that we had a run through of the assault course and were straight into our timed run, again just relax and don't F*text deleted** up, the monkey bars are slippy so be safe and don't try to rush else you'll fall and get even wetter, that could ultimately be the difference between a pass or fail on points.
    Straight after that you're in the tank to get you good and wet before the bottom field determination assessment, don't get out of the tank early and if you do understand that you have failed, we lost a few lads here and they seemed almost surprised that they were kicked of the course. It will be cold but don't make stupid noises and control your breathing, that will make it easier for you. The 'extra phys' was pretty rough, but they want to see what you're made of, you don't have to be the fittest (I certainly wasn't) just try to get to the front, remember why your there and don't let yourself down. 'It lasts as long as it needs to' but just keep you're head up and it will be over before you know it.
    After lunch is the endurance course, on it's own without kit it would be an enjoyable experience, but you're cold wet and bloody shattered by this point. Again just give it everything you can, try to be at the front and at the very least stick with the group, most of the tunnels are fine but one or two are pretty tight, close your eyes and keep moving. There was 9 of us left by this stage and only 1 didn't make it to the end, I felt for him. In the evening there's a demonstration on putting up your kit for a night in the field, we got given some ration packs... it was great.

Day 3
    I've waffled on enough so the last day is just admin and getting told whether you've passed or failed, all 8 of us that remained passed, but the Sgt Major was very clear in the beginning that you haven't passed until he gives you your certificate so we were all understandably nervous. Especially when he joked about only having 5 pass certificated with a stone cold look on his face... I nearly fell off my chair.

A few tips

HUMILITY - Don't go bragging about anything, nobody cares (especially not the training team). If you're saying you're an endurance king and you drop out of the bottom field because you get a stitch then you're just making it worse for yourself.

HYDRATE - My mouth was so dry in the sports hall, I thought I was *text deleted* pass out. I stuck my hand up to ask for a drink and was met with a resounding NO which I half expected, although some of the guys said they were glad I asked I felt like a tool. Ultimately my lack of hydration throughout the morning cost me points in the gym.

BE AT THE FRONT - I was gutted with my scores and thought I was *text deleted* fail, so on the second day it was eyes closed balls out (not literally). I made sure I finished first on at least a few parts of the bottom field and stayed at the front of the pack for a good half of the endurance course. DO this QUIETLY and the training team will notice, they know who they have to keep an eye on and I honestly believe it's the only reason I passed.

BE FIT ENOUGH - Again I let myself down in the gym tests but still achieved enough points to pass, if you can't do this you will get kicked off the course and you have wasted everyone's time. Better to defer your date and be confident that you're ready, in the end nobody who got over 10 minutes on the BFT made it to the last day.

GET A HAIRCUT - If you don't have long hair it will be much easier to not fidget during the gym tests, I had to do a total of 80 tuck jumps between tests... It didn't make my life better.

DON'T choose the HIAX boots - There two types of boots in the locker, supposedly the Hiax are the boots you will use for Drill and the other are for PHYS. On recommendation of one of the lads I mentioned who had already been in training, I went for the less fancy ones, everyone was complaining about their feet whereas it felt like I was wearing slippers.

LISTEN - Filling your water bottle up means filling it up, don't fidget means stay the F*text deleted** still. DO this and your life will be easier, there was two guys there who had been through it before, their information was invaluable. One kid called one of them a know it all, there is no space for that and I just thought what are you even doing here.

SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS - Use them for your training, things like caffeine, vasodilators and various aminos have an ergogenic effect and will help you train and recover effectively... but test yourself without them. On the PRMC they will be taken off you, instead smash the black coffee and sugar, it will help.

EAT - You will always be given time between meals and PHYS, it was something I was thankful for. Just get as much down you as you can whether you like what your eating or not. Go for the highest calories you can see and put desert on-top (don't forget the veg), there's no room for calorie counting, you need the energy.

WATCH THIS VIDEO -

• Like Like x 22
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

A tip top insight, thank you on behalf of those soon to follow.

I particularly liked your tip on the boots, goid stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ando94

Ando94 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Great read mate! good luck with RT.

so does it still stand that if you come in later than 10 minutes of the BFT it is a fail?

also after the gym test on Day 1 are completed what do you do for the rest of that Day/Evening?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Minimum time is 11:15 now, but if you're that slow the statistics show you're not going to pass PRMC.

5. Ando94

Ando94 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    thought so was just confused as in the write up he said the lads who didn't coming inside the 1o minute mark failed...

6. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah, I can see why you'd think that. He means that even though you might get to the next stage, your chances of actually passing are extremely slim if you're that slow on the BFT.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ando94

Ando94 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    understood! cheers mate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jerseyjimbo

jerseyjimbo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah @Ballista is right, minimum time is now 11:15 so by no means is a 10+ time an instant fail. I can only speak for our group so i'm sure there's guys who have passed their PRMC with >10 mins on the BFT, anything could happen on the day, so as long as you scored well elsewhere, got enough points and demonstrated a good attitude to the training team the odds are in your favour. That evening we just relaxed... our room turned in around 20:30.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jerseyjimbo

jerseyjimbo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Also cheers, RT start date is the end of Feb... looking forward to it. Good luck with your PRMC.

10. Ando94

Ando94 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    good stuff mate good luck and thanks for the info!

11. Mogley09

Mogley09 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Good luck mate, thanks for the insight i cant wait now

12. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Great read all the best

13. Jarvis

Jarvis New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. When you say you did a bit of core knowledge was this the written assessment? If so was there any questions on here you hadn't prepared for?

Thanks

14. tommy123

tommy123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview

Brilliant info mate, good luck with your training!

15. Elvis

Elvis New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    What scores did you get in the gym tests? Also when do you start RT?