Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

PRMC 18-21st Feb 2020 FAIL

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by Figgers, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Figgers

Figgers Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hello,

I have seen one of the lads has posted a diary about his experience on passing. I always found that I got more from the diaries off the lads that had failed and I have always wanted to give something back to this forum as I have gained so much from it.

First of all, I will give some background on me, I am 27 and I am a rejoin so I have been in training before. I left training when I was in hunter company at the age of 23 and almost immediately wanted to rejoin after leaving (although I maintain to this day that it was the correct decision for me at the time.)

Day 1
    I woke up around 7 o clock ready for my train at half 9. At this point I was incredibly nervous and I had not had a good nights sleep. I ate (forced) a large breakfast down me as I knew what the days ahead had instore and got my train at half 9. I had quite a journey ahead of me alone with my thoughts but one of the lads on my course actually joined me about halfway so that settled my nerves a bit.

We arrived at CTCRM at roughly half 3/ 4 o clock. When arrived we were taken to the PRMC accommodation and I remember thinking to myself "here we go again." When we arrived we were told to dump our kit in our grots, put on our bib and report to the office. One of the lads actually had my bib on at this point so I was flapping a bit but we managed to get around this minor obstacle!

The rest of the evening consisted of scran, a brief and collecting the rest of our kit. Then, we were mainly left to our own devices and to get to know the other lads. I want to stress the importance of getting to know the lads as the training team go on a lot about teamwork and if you get to know and bond with the lads you will find this a lot easier.

Day2
    Time to get up is 5:30, but you can choose to get up earlier if you want to. In my opinion, you only need to get up 15 minutes earlier as you shower, shave and brush your teeth then get to scran for 6:30. You are told by the training team to eat a large breakfast as you are doing a lot and you definitely should. I think I had a full breakfast, some porridge for energy and a banana.

You then clean (and I mean clean, I would recommend you need to be all over this as it will save you press ups etc). and off to our first test. The gym tests.

At this point I was incredibly nervous and I think this was reflected in my performance. I am not making excuses but I did not have a good time on the RMFA and for the life of me I do not know why as I thought my preparation had been bang on. On the bleep test I was hanging out but I managed to get 10.8 and dropped out. This really got inside my head and I was flapping on press ups. The PTI pulled me off at 32 saying I missed a rep, I don't think I did but in all honesty I was in flap mode and could have. Anyway, you take these things on the chin and try do better on the next exercise.

I remember thinking to myself before the sit ups you need to get full marks here or you will be failing this PRMC! I managed to get 85 and this gave me some confidence. I got 7 pull ups. I think we lost 3 lads at this point.

Gym tests over it was back to the accommodation to shower, clean and get changed for our next lecture. (Make sure the accommodation is up to scratch as you don't want to use valuable energy being thrashed by the training team.) I think the next lecture was about SQ's but I don't really remember much as I was too busy trying to put my poor performance in the RMFA behind me and concentrate on the next test to come.

The 3 mile run. The first 1.5 mile out was definitely run at a faster pace, but we ran a bit and then walked some so my estimations is it was 12 mins 30 seconds. We then had a *text deleted* and set off back on our best effort run back. The PTI stressed before if he saw anyone walking the whole course could "standby" sending a shiver down my spine...

We sat off on the run back and I got 10 minutes 17 seconds, again not great but at this point I was of the mindset that if I was still on course I was still in with a chance of passing. I think we lost another 3 lads after the RMFA and the PTI told us when we got back to the accommodation that one lad was removed from the course because he lied about his time.

We then went off to the swim test which consisted of 2 of us swimming a width breast stroke an the PTI grading I us 1, 2 or 3. 1 being strong and 3 being weak. We were then lined up and made to walk off the diving board and swim the length of the pool and back. Then to collect a brick. Now, I really hyped this up in my head and had done loads of practice as this is something I struggled with in training. All I will say is get a few deep breaths and get down and you are up before you know it!

Swim test done, I remember thinking that I am still here day 1 done and my mind went straight to what we had in store for us tomorrow....

The rest of the evening was fairly chilled out and we got to know the rest of the lads and had scran. Oh, and another poor nights sleep...

Day 3
    We awoke the same time again and it was the same detail as the other mornings.

We were then before we knew it on the bottom field. It was a wet, windy and cold morning on the bottom field but you soon warm up. It was the high obs first which is relatively simple as long as you observe and do what you're told. Heights are by no means my favourite thing but you just have to remain composed.

Then we were onto the bottom field, we were shown the obstacles a few at a time and then we repeated them. By the time we got to the run through we were already hanging out and the PTI said "some of you need a good time here" and this really resonated with me. You set off at 1 minute intervals and I think I was in the 4th syndicate to go so I started mentally preparing myself.

We set off and I felt like I was absolutely flying... Until I got to the chasm (this is the rope you crawl across) I think I was moving too fast on this and I fell off. I had to go back and crawl the full length of the obstacle. This really sapped my energy and I struggled to regain my momentum. I think I got around 4 and a half minutes but I cant be certain.

We were then told to get into 3 ranks and face away. The training team then started calling names out and mine was one of them, I knew this meant I was off course and I was absolutely devastated. The rest is a blur as I was deep in my own thoughts.

You then have your leaving interviews and given a return time. Mine is 3 months which I am pleased about and I know exactly what I have to work on which is definitely running.

Overall my PRMC was a great experience and I really enjoyed it. I have taken away a lot of working points which can be worked upon. and all in all it has made me much more motivated to go back down and get the pass next time.

Tips for PRMC

• Be 5 minutes early to every detail and be quiet when you are waiting.
    • Do everything you are told as quick as you can.
    • Do not scratch or fidget in the gym (hold your own hand behind your back if you have to.)
    • Make sure you clean to a good standard.
    • Train to the maximum scores not the minimum. Inevitably, things go wrong and you will need as many points as possible to ensure you get the pass.
    • If you think you are fit enough don't rest on your laurels keep smashing the training.
    • Maximum effort in all physical activities, they will be able to tell if you are not putting the effort in.
    • If you are told something then that is final, do not answer back to the training team.
    • If you have a question ask the lads first to see if they know, then if noone knows ask the training team.
    • Work on your weaknesses.
    • Eat as much as you can at all meal times, you will have plenty of time for food to digest.
    • Don't take any supplements as you are told to hand them in at the beginning.
    • PRMC is a mental game as well as a physical one. Don't withdraw yourself, get through it and then decide if it is for you.

I think I have covered everything but if you have any questions then post below and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks for reading.

• Like Like x 12
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 3
  2. A350-800

A350-800 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thankyou very much for taking the time to feedback your experience it is really helpful to read, best of luck for your training and future PRMC mate

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  3. Duality

Duality Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Fantastic detailed diary and makes a really interesting read. You can't have been far away from passing if your return is in 3 months.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Figgers

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to say. Good luck with your application

• Like Like x 1
  5. Figgers

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to say so!

I failed by 1 point!

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  6. A350-800

A350-800 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    That's ok mate and thanks

7. LilInac

LilInac Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hard luck on the PRMC fella, just a question if I could anything you would do more training wise or change what you did ? I’m sure you’ll be back in 3months and smash it !! Good luck.

8. Figgers

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I would definitely run more.

I am actually joining a running club and I’m going to be doing loads of interval training in the treadmill.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Good move. Clubs can really enhance technique and the choice of running partners helps too.
    Thanks for sharing your PRMC experience. Often it's the difficulties which better inform those who follow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Figgers

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I think I would be daft not to. It’s never been a strength of mine running but hopefully with a running club and plenty of other training I can turn it into a strength

• Like Like x 2
  11. Harry McRunFast

Harry McRunFast Valuable Contributor

@Figgers

Very honest review mate. Bad luck, but regardless, well done for sticking at it. Best of luck with your next attempt!

• Like Like x 1
  12. LilInac

LilInac Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ah would be a good idea unfortunately None near me, not the best at running but working on it ! good luck on the future prmc :cool: you’ll smash it.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. aliens-do-exist

aliens-do-exist Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    thank you for posting. can i just ask...
    you say you failed by 1 point, but ive read everywhere that attitude etc counts, could that add or subtract from that 1 point? if that makes sense?
    when do you get the history test? or is that something else as haven't seen much written about that.
    And is 3 months the minimum return? Best of luck and thank you again for posting

14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Unsure if a 'formal' test on Corps knowledge is a scheduled element of the current PRMC but as with any job interview (which is what the PRMC is) an awareness of the background of one's prospective employer is good to know.

In January 2020 CTCRM published an official set of information sheets:

https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/latest-updated-corps-knowledge-pdf.124972/

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@aliens-do-exist I didn't do my RT at CTCRM but it was common during it to have one's knowledge of the regiment queried. It was generally less exhausting if one had a grip of the basics. :)

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that at PRMC some of the questions might be along the lines of:

"What is the birthday of the Corps?"

"Where is 42 Commando based?"

"Name the Commando Tests."

Possibly such questions are likely to be addressed to individuals or groups verbally at any time rather than a formal sit-down test.

The best guidance is perhaps in this extract from the document linked in the previous post:

Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 15.30.26.png

16. Figgers

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    not to my knowledge... the points system is based upon the physical requirements I think. Basically are you fit enough to join training

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Figgers A quick quezzie: were the candidates on your PRMC expected to answer questions about Corps knowledge? Stuff like VC winners; unit locations; ranks; etc.?

18. Figgers

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

Not up until the point I left no.

I have heard that they don’t do it anymore, but I have always been told to expect the unexpected and be prepared.

The course training team did say the read the forums and if they see this they might re introduce it you never know!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Figgers

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks mate.

Just need to work on my weaknesses and I will be golden come my next attempt.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Kingsman

Kingsman Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I’m interested to see you were in training before, but we’re still relatively nervous. Did you not find that having been a nod and passing PRMC before to be a confidence booster?