PRMC 26th-29th Feb

dombeeston

Reaction score
Straight to the point, I passed :D

Day 1-Tuesday

I was on th train from Durham which left about 10.30 on tuesday morning so i was on with th lads from newcastle and our train got into exeter at about 4.15 then the train from exeter to lympstone only takes about 15-20 mins so after waiting for a train we got there about 5.30pm. We were waiting for the corporal to come and get us from th gate for about another 20-30mins and we were all *text deleted**text deleted*ting ourselves with nerves at this point. Anyway when th corporal came we ran to our accommodation and dumped our bags and we were sent off to scran where all th other ppl on our course were already there as our train ment we wer th last ppl to arrive at lympstone. After scran we had to collect our kit and make beds get boots polished etc then 9 oclockers at 9pm obviously which is another meal if u want it then lights out at 10pm but in our room of 15 ppl we didnt rly get to sleep til about 12 with ppl talking. There was supposed to be 47 ppl on th course but 2 didnt turn up so there was 45 of us.

Day 2-Wednesday

We were told we were to be up at 5.45am showered and shaved and dressed in smart clothes(suit) by 6am and out for breakfast but in my room we were all up by 5.15 as alarms were going off all th time with ppl trying to get up early for hot water in th showers (we didnt make this mistake th next 2 days as we needed th extra 30 mins sleep and th water switches from hot to cold anyway). After breakfast we had a course briefing powerpoint thingy then time for th 3 mile run. Th warm up for th 3 mile run was pretty tiring but not too bad and th 1.5mile ran out as a squad is well easy and rly slow pace, then its turn, quick chance for a piss then th sergeant-major sets u off for th 1.5mile best effort run back. I got back in 17th out of 45 with a time of 9mins 27 secs well inside th 10mins 30 your allowed for th run. 8 ppl failed th run though so they automatically failed th whole course, a few of these went home but th rest of th lads stuck out th rest of th course given th option to see what it was like for th next time they return for their PRMC. In between all th tests nd lectures nd stuff *text deleted* never rly standing still u have to run and line up in 3 ranks or double time on th spot or woteva. A few more lectures then scran then gym test 1 after scran. Th gym was in use for commando mayhem ultimate endurance team challenge or sum *text deleted**text deleted*e like that *text deleted* so we did gym test 1 in th drill shed. surprisingly we didnt do a warm up for this it was just straight into th bleep test, i was about th 5th person left in th bleep test and got about level 12.2 i think. Next up was th press ups, make sure u have *text deleted* technique perfect for these before u go on prmc if any of u r planning on going on prmc *text deleted* i had a corporal stood over me all th time while i was doing my press ups nd i was getting them taken off for th whole 2 minutes because my technique wasnt right and elbows werent fully tucked in so in th end i only ended up with 33 press ups. Then sit ups i got 67 then carrying all th mats with us we ran over to th gym nd put them back nd did our pull ups in groups of 3. These are easy and i got max 6 pull ups just like most other ppl. Then we headed over to th swimming pool and did th swim easy lads just 2 lengths and a width of th pool doing breast-stroke after jumping off th diving board. This was all th physical tests over for day 1 and it was easy enough if u had trained for it. Bed at 10 blah blah :)

Day 3-Thursday

Up at 5.45 today showered shaved dressed nd breakfast etc then bottom field! :( :( this started for us at about 7.45-8am, we ran down to th death slide after being shown how to put on th safety harness and being shown th correct technique then strate up th ladder and down th death slide, th adrenaline is flowing at th top of th ladder lyk its absolutely mint i rly enjoyed it. after this we ran down to th start of th assault course obstacles and we were shown how to use each obstacle before getting a chance to run through each 1 of them like crawling along ropes in th air nd stuff pretty fun but rly tiring wen *text deleted* sprinting backwards and forwards thru obstacles leaping over walls nd monkey bars nd *text deleted**text deleted*. on th 1st obstacle jumping over a water ditch i fell in on th 1st practice thru *text deleted* so i was soaking thru and combats were all wet and stuff and heavy so try not and get wet, my hands were soaking wet and 2 obstacles later was th monkeys bars above a pool of water *text deleted* so my hands slipped off them and i was fully submerged under water and its freezing and very hard to keep going after this. anyway timed run for th assault course is done in groups of 4, i came 1st in my 4 with a time of 3 mins 47 or sumthing which wasnt anything special, th guy who won best recruit only missed th course record by 2 seconds he got 3 mins flat quality time! After this we were sprinting up and down around obstacles and rolling round on th floor press ups and sit ups etc and by this point i was sooooo fu*text deleted*ed but stuck in....then we were told th determination test was starting....a few lads found this fun and it was a bit, but it was bloody hard work, sprinting up and down hills, crawling, press ups, sit ups, squat jumps, leg raises etc etc solid for 30 mins, it goes over quickly though and dusnt seem like 30 mins so just stick it out lads and as long as u dont drop out u pass bottom field, nobody on my course dropped out of bottom field :) Our kit was covered head to toe in mud nd soaking wet and we had to clean this at some point thru th day. showered nd dress then lectures then scran. Afternoon, gym test 2, we were told this was "fun and team games" but this was probs th hardest part of th whole course, 5 team games each lasting 3 mins, absolutely solid totally drains all energy out but its over with soon enough, but u dont get to stand still *text deleted* double timing on th spot with knees up etc. After th team games and th equipment is put away, its th final physical tests which is sprinting from 1 end of th gym to th other. this lasts for about 20 mins and it takes every last bit of energy every 1 was hanging out but just hang in and it feels so gud wen u finish nd leave that frigging gym :) Thursday nyt was all just cleaning accommodation nd kit nd stuff nd getting ready to leave th next day.

Day 4-Friday

Got a lie in til 6am, th usual stuff, scran and back and changed into smart civvies. The people who had failed were took into a room and told by th sergeant-major, th ppl who had passed (although we didnt *text deleted* we had passed at this point) were just lined up in th corridor, then to th lecture room given out certificates for passing nd stuff then th ppl who passed were issued boots etc. we got going nd left lympstone at bout 11.30 and got a train at 12 to exeter and then we were gone and it was all over.

Soz for th lack of detail towards th end lads but ive been up early til late th last 4 days and am *text deleted**text deleted*ing knackered *text deleted* so im trying to get it finished now :)

th PRMC is scored on points, u need 18 points to pass, u dont find out how th points system rly works but from what i picked up, u dont get any points for under level 11 on th bleep test, but u get 5 or 6 points for over level 12, u dont get any points for over 4 mins on th assault course, easy points on pull ups and sit ups so max out on these with a bit of training and although i struggled with press ups other lads got easy full points for this. To be honest lads, the PRMC was a little bit harder than what i expected but if u pass th 3 mile run on th 1st morning then theres no reason what so ever why u shudnt pass th whole course as long as u give 100% on everything and DONT GIVE UP, there was points during th course where i wondered if its definitely what i wanted to do, but its so rewarding at th end wen u pass th course :D
47 ppl were supposed to b on th course, 2 didnt turn up, 8 failed th run, 5 failed thru narrowly not having enuff points required to pass, 2 got injured and 1 voluntarily withdrew and 29 ppl passed i think. By th way, cracking bunch of lads, had a rite laff nd its a gud time just get on with it nd dont stand out for th wrong reasons nd meet a lot of mint ppl.

anyway thats me dun *text deleted*, if any1 has any questions about th course or anything just ask and i wil try to answer anything.

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Great diary, thanks for posting it.

Remember with the assault course though, that the top PRMC pupil might have been within 2 seconds of the record, but in RT you need to do it with 30 pounds of kit and it also includes a full regain from the ropes.

Still a much better time than I got though!

Shiloh79

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Cracking effort mate ... like me you ended up soaking wet on the bottom field, it makes things so muh harder for you! Well done again pal ! :thumbsup:

dovey1001rm

Reaction score
the best candidate on my course got 2mins 42 on assault course, he was like superman maxed out on everything and came first in all the runs *text deleted*. unstoppable!

recruit clements 1988

Reaction score
sprints on the last day

with the sprints on the last day whats the format, do you just run back an forth solid for twenty minutes? or do you line up, first person runs, second person sets off when that guy gets back, hence forth and so on?

dombeeston

Reaction score
with the sprints on the last day whats the format, do you just run back an forth solid for twenty minutes? or do you line up, first person runs, second person sets off when that guy gets back, hence forth and so on?
nah *text deleted* in 2 groups, 1 group at each end of th gym, and there are 2 cones across th gym to mark th middle half way point of th gym, then th PTI stands in th middle and shouts which group has to sprint, if they hav to sprint to th half way point or th other end of th gym, and how many times they hav to do it, for example he could say "that group (pointing at 1 of th 2 groups) to th middle 3 times!" so u hav to sprint to th middle and back 3 times. its pretty intense but as long as *text deleted* not th last man back in *text deleted* group u wont rly draw attention to urself as every1 is packed so tightly together.

PRMCjamesb

Reaction score
three mile run - you run with a corporal right, is it possible to run with him and get in when he does or does he speed off. just so u know whether or not *text deleted* on time.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The one on our run, took a short cut back and gave us all our times as we came in. If you run with him you would get back before the others but would be classed as a cheat!

Commando Kennedy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
More Diaries

hi id appreciate it if those that have recently done their PRMC would be kind enough to post diaries because as we all know the PRMC is ever changing and would be great to know what you went through!! there also fun to read!! Thanks in advance:shakehands: