Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRMC 30th April - 03rd May

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by Surfbum, May 3, 2019.

1. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Was going to wait until I got home but as this train journey is so much fun I figured I would write this out on here!

The same as previous diaries, the times are blurry so won't waste time guessing and will withold all instructors names for security.

Hopped on the train from my local stop at around 09:30 and enjoyed the time just generally sweating and thinking of what beatings are going to be coming our way.

Bumped into some lads at Exeter, exchanged a few nervous giggles and continued on to lympstone commando. Everything went quiet when we spotted bottom field and the assault course.

Waited at the station for the corporal to collect us, took around 20 minutes by which point another train dropped of two others and more nervous jokes and laughter continued.

We seen the corporal coming from a distance so we all collectively formed a line on the platform ready for the first brief. He gave us the usual speech about how to address the staff (corporal etc), listening in and making sure we pay attention to detail then told to follow on up to the PRMC accommodation. Some paper work to fill in and emphasis on making sure they are filled in correctly. Team work is advised here, check over the man's paper work next to you and then check it again. Any problems off the bat will only paint a cross hair on your back.

From there we had to check the sheets next to each room, find your name and bib number. The bibs are hanging off each bed and that is your assigned little place of heaven for 3 days.

From there it's kit issue which was a little bizzare if I'm honest! There is another list on the wall that all PRMC candidates will need throughout there time at CTC. Find the relevant room where that particular item is and go hunting! I was lucky to be part of the first guys there so had the opportunity to pick the kit in good order, which was precisely zero! It became apparent that the kit you will be using is handed down from troop to troop until it's last stop of PRMC stores. Just grab what you need and get the required bedding. From there to Scran is a bit hazy. I believe we done a bit of drill which was.......interesting and then it was back to the grots, get some cleaning done and the night is your own.

Day 2

Alarms set for 05:45, don't be the lad that sets his alarm for 02:30 to have a shower because you want to be "ready". You'll need the kip and you're only seeing of the lads that are sleeping by waking them up with hopping about on the bed.

Get up, smash the lights on and get yourself in the shower. There is only 4 shower heads and we had 38 lads, it's a tight squeeze and you are all queuing up to get showered so needless to say, if your not comfortable with that environment, find a way to become comfortable a bit quick.

Suits on, then line up in the corridor and number off (you'll get shown how to do this on the 1st night) from there, make your way down to breakfast. Once finished it's back to the block, use this time to sort out your admin. Get your daily cleaning done and LOOK AT THE ORDERS ON THE BOARD. They are put up there clear as day so get a custom with looking at it because they change.....a lot!

PT kit on and you'll make your way to the gym. I'm saying this and the PTI will say exactly the same, don't scratch, fidget, look around, fart whatever. It's like a shrine in the gymnasium and if you're caught (which you will be) it'll be remembered and taken back on bottom field.
    I have read it on previous diaries and lads have said to me before but it happened several times on mine so it's inevitable to happen in the future! You have been warned......again!

Not going into the tests, it's exactly what you think it's going to be but the order was as follows;

Bleep
    Nice cool down period
    Press ups
    Sit ups
    Pull ups
    (Make sure you practise form or you'll simply be dragged off and lose those magical points you need)

If memory serves, back to the grots, showered, suits on, number off and make your way to lunch. Now it's time for the 3 miler. This time it's dress rig bravo (all dress rig description are on the board).

Fall in outside and the PTI will take you out the camp and onto the kings squad car park to do some warm up exercises. From there you'll do your squaded 1.5 miles. From the stories I have read on here before I guess they differ and fully depend what mood the PTI is in as to how fast you do it in. I felt like there was a slight incline to start and we hit it hard or at least harder then the pace required to hit 12:30 (whatever it is). Come to the start line for the return and you get a little opportunity to walk about and get yourself in check. Try your best to stay in front of the pack here as some of the boys mentioned it was difficult to fight your way to the front as the lane is narrow and had a ditch on the right. Then it's onto the swim test. Won't go on about this too much as I'm sure you have read up on it but I personally struggled with getting the brick. I didn't control the adrenaline caused by jumping off the 3m board and it effected my breathing. You get a 2nd attempt so dont let it get to you.Finish that and it's job done with the phys for the Wednesday.

Couple of briefs, Q&A's with the lads in foundation and diamond recruits. Shower, suits, food and bed. You'll need it for Thursday!

This is the primary reason for writing this diary. Bottom field and endurance. This is a hang out ladies and gents. Wake up, showered, suits and breakfast. I believe it was phys rig D can't really remember but its basically all kit minus the shirt. The bits between breakfast and the high obstacle are blurry but pretty certain it was nothing worth noting!

Follow the Pti's instruction TO THE BUTTON! Any defects and they get very upset very quickly and you don't need any extra phys later on. Take your time, have some confidence with it and you'll be okay. One tip, keep the left leg straight and toes facing the estuary!

Onto the assault course and again, pay attention to the specifics. You'll get a demonstration on every obstacle and if you fail to do precisely what you say you'll be doing it again and getting wet if it goes over water. You'll get given the opportunity to have a go on each obstacle before your timed run. Then you'll be sorted alphabetically, in three's, at the start and sent on your way. Maximum effort here guys, you may need the points. Use the grass between obstacles to make up time and recover your breathing during the execution of the obstacle.

Assault course done, put your helmets to one side, grab some water and grab some oxygen whilst you can.

Bottom field is exactly what has been mentioned in previous diaries but if you have to take one thing away from here it this.....get them hill sprints in prior to PRMC. It will not stop you from struggling on bottom field but it will make things "slightly" easier. Briefly, it consists of press ups and hold, sit ups, lunges, squats, burpees, sprints, tuck jumps and probably more!

Remember those irresistible scratches you had to do during gym, you'll be paying for that now.

Bottom field done, you get about an hour turn around to get your kit off, showered, new kit on and get some food down your face. Onto the endurance course!

This was my favourite but found it personally very difficult. Both mentally and physically. This is the part of the course that you really need to want it. Plenty of "pays to be a winner" and firemans carrys/baby carries etc. No real technique if I'm honest just do as you are told and dig deep. It felt like forever but head down, one foot in front of the other and you'll be alright. Some boys did better then others but we all agreed that another 10-15 minutes and we would of struggled big time.

Eventually you'll see the coach and that is the end and what a sight it is. Grab yourself a hot drink and some chocolate. I got dragged away at this point by some media team doing some interviews for the next prmc video so as you can imagine I was thrilled about that! Back on the bus and away to camp. As you can imagine, lots of admin here. Get on top of this as quickly as possible so you can get in the shower and sort yourselves out. In all honesty, from here it's job done, remember you are not on the train yet so keep composed. Some briefings on Friday with a foot fall study group, military prep college and mental preparation briefing before RT. Finally the certificate presentation! They don't grade anymore so it's effectively pass and fail but they did award three lads because they reached an A so good effort to those boys.

This has gone along far too long now so ill knock it on the head. If anyone has any questions about anything I have missed then fire away. I'm a beat at the moment so probably missed some key points!

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

A top diary. Thanks for taking the time to post.

The tri-service mystery of Stores. :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  3. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Great read, @Surfbum
    Well done and good luck for RT.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AngryArgie

AngryArgie New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Well done mate, looking forward to watching that video now haha. What were your scores like if you don’t mind me asking, and how many out of all the lads that attended passed?
    Good luck with RT anyway mate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I will be doing everything possible to avoid viewing it. They were there from day 1!

Bleep 13.2
    Press ups 60
    Pull ups 11
    Sit ups 59
    1.5 mile 8:55

We started with 38 and finished with 19 I believe.

• Like Like x 3
  6. AngryArgie

AngryArgie New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Those are really good scores mate well done, and if the video is being done by the Royal Marine Recruitment team I suspect it might look something like this:

Good quality, but defo *text deleted* attract some piss taking if your the person it focusses on and it comes out while your in RT haha

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I certainly didn't agree to them coming to my home so that makes it better right? Although every part of me wishes it's nothing like that

8. Woods115

Woods115 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Are you allowed to do any kind of swim or is it just breast stroke? Really good scores them mate whats your secret for that high on the bleep test not heard anyone on here get that high before

9. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Has to be breast stroke. You'll do a single width first so they can see how confident you are as swimmer. You'll be graded 1 or 2 (1 being acceptable 2 being recommended lessons)

Well first of all the highest in the group was 13.10 so not quite as talented as that guy but my PB was 12.2 when I first tested. Lots of intervals on the treadmill and 1-2 low mileage (5 miles max) under 7 minute mile runs per week.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ghost123

Ghost123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Nice dairy pal! Was also on this PRMC. One tip from me would be do those longer slower runs say between 10km - 20km runs (just be weary of injury and make sure you have good proper running shoes if you putting in longer runs, goto build and condition yourself into longer distances). All my scores where middle to upper middle scores. But when it came to the bottom field and especially endurance course I shined abit more and was sometimes in the front. And thats just down to the mental game and simply endurance. Which I guess also comes from canoe/kayak marathon racing I used to do. Just get on with it.

I initially froze as I got to the high planks. After about 10 seconds and the corporal encouraging me to go I reluctantly crossed. However he then had me running back and forth on the plank etc. Thanks for that as it really helped. The corporals are humans and really nice people but there is a time and place. Dont get on there bad side. Just dont. I speak under correction but I believe one guy didn't cross and he was counted down from 5 to go. Still didn't go and was obviously taken off the course.

It's fun, it's hard and just good experience. Remember why you there.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm glad you weighed in there mate. Towards the bottom half of that diary I started to feel my eyes close up!

You were a beast at those leapord crawls fair play haha

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ghost123

Ghost123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    One more tip! Stretch, stretch and stretch some more!

13. lkw07

lkw07 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Well done on the pass.

Your interval training, what did it consist of in regards to distance and rest times etc?

Thank you

14. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    If I'm on the treadmill then it's 6x 400m intervals and the rest is whoever long it takes me to run the lap.

For example, if I run 400m @ 19kph it will take me 85 seconds, that's my rest. You will be able to increase your speed in time thus allowing less of a rest between laps.

I'm lucky enough to have a long straight bicycle path near me so if I'm running on that then I chuck Strava on and every other mile announcement, I push for 6 minute miles then the next mile will be around 8 minutes.