Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

PRMC am I ready

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Sturgg101, May 31, 2019.

1. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @JTech how far was you running do you need to be running 6 mile plus or just focus on 1.5 BFT and good 3 mile run time

2. JTech

JTech Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    5 mile was the most I went and it wasn’t often. I focused on 400m/800m intervals. I done Kenyan hills(give them a google) and a lot of weighted circuits always including front squats. Felt really strong on day 3 thanks to the circuits.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Update my BFT is now 9 min 40

4. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @JTech I’m just going to have 1 long run a week then other day BFT, then 3 mile, then hill sprints then maybe go to my local gym and spend one day a week doing legs to build leg strength

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

On a general note you'll benefit from training at the altitude of your current location as Lympstone is obviously at sea level. The downside is that UK winters can be cold and wet. It's a factor to consider.

6. JTech

JTech Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Should’ve been clearer. Kenyan hills are a type of hill session that you continuously run up and down a hill at threshold pace for a set time. Don’t need to head to Kenya to do them thankfully, it’s just named that as it’s kenyan marathoners that do them.
    Being Scottish both summer and winters are cold and wet for me.

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Nah, the fault is mine for misunderstanding. I lived at high (by UK standards) altitude in Tanzania for a year back in the mid-1980s. My run times when I returned to the UK coast were quite impressive until I readjusted.

8. name

name Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Sturgg101 hi mate, I passed my prmc 2 weeks ago and when I was at your stage ( 4 weeks away ) my stats weren't as good as yours are now...... then 1 week before I had an RMAD (Royal Marines awareness day) which is basically day 1 of prmc and my stats was
    push ups: 45
    sit ups: 53
    pull ups: 8
    1.5 mile return: 10.10

but anyways as you probably know you need 16 points to pass and them stats would have been a fail but please look up the point chart as that helps massively knowing 1 more pull ups would be an extra point earned etc etc....

PRMC scores got
    push ups: 53
    sit ups: 63
    pull ups: 9
    1.5 mile return: 9.29
    v02 max: 11.5

just shows how much more you can achieve when 'in the zone' and under pressure/adrenaline.

hardest part was day 2 by far and just DO NOT wrap. you can achieve a lot in a month so train hard (smash legs aswell)

GOOD LUCK!

9. STG97

STG97 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yes mate in training currently

10. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @name how far was you running before coming down to prmc I’ve asked people and I’m getting mixed answers. My careers office said I shouldn’t be running more than 5 mile yet others say different. Also would you say do your bleep test and BFT same day when training because that’s what happens in prmc

11. sharpe

sharpe Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Just an observation but in the 1st few replies to your original post you had input from some pretty well placed people to answer. I’d probably trust their judgment and just crack on. If you are still having doubts defer.

12. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @sharpe im confused as I’m getting very mixed inputs so I’m trying to get as much replies as opinions as possible and ask the people who have passed prmc how far they ran

13. sharpe

sharpe Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    I completely get that but re read the 1st response to your original post and I think that answers your question.

14. GriZZ

GriZZ Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I followed Sean Lerwill’s pass the PRMC program and you run no more than 5 miles on that mate, instead it focuses more on interval training.

15. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @STG97 also how intense are the warm ups before conducting the bft

16. westy

westy Venerated Contributor

The more opinions you get surely the more confused you’ll get as 100 different people have probably trained a 100 different days!!

17. name

name Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Sturgg101 sorry for the late reply.
    I mixed it up, with bodyweight exercises I wouldn't worry about rest days because no one will get the time to do them everyday unless your not currently working, I was running the BFT so try and do 1.5 miles out at a comfortable pace then best effort back ( simulate what happens as much as possible) but then occasionally I would do a 6 mile run at a slow comfortable pace.
    we didn't do hare and hound phase of endurance course but its always different so just be ready to run the 4 miles back just in case.

knowing what I know now my training sessions is simply go for a run, stop of a points and do loads of bodyweight stuff and when you see a hill take a few seconds rest then sprint up it... jog down and do it again.... each session will include running, push ups, sit ups, sprints, lunges, dips, squats, planks and stuff.

just make it up as you go along.
    hope this helps

18. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @name how intense are the warm ups before conducting the BFT?

19. JWJ

JWJ Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Worse than the actual run.

20. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @name so are you already exhausted before taking the bft haha the first 1.5 mile was suppose to be the warm up I thought