Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRMC am I ready

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Sturgg101, May 31, 2019.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Seems like you’re going round in circles here so hopefully I can offer some advice. I recently attended a POC which is of course similar to PRMC.

On the day I achieved PBs on the 1.5 mile run (by a few seconds) and the bleep test. I did worse on press ups and pull ups than I have done dozens of times at the gym, and I maxed out sit ups as was expected. However, none of this was an issue because it wasn’t a case of borderline passing, but, for example, getting low 50s on the press ups instead of 60, or 10 pull ups instead of my usual 13. My experience was shared by many others, some ran 20s or so slower on the 1.5 than they have before, some maxed out press ups despite never having got close in training. As for the warm ups before the run and RMFA, it varies. One week the PTIs might have you just jogging gently and doing some light mobility, the next week they might have you doing sprints and a circuit.

The underlying point is you need to be able to pass the run and RMFA comfortably even on your bad days. It should never be the case that you’re relying on adrenaline to get you through, it’s a terrible strategy. You only get one set of press ups, pull ups and sit ups and the whole routine will be over before you know it.

Another issue is that if you scrape through the first day you will go to sleep with a negative mindset questioning whether you will make it through bottom field and the endurance course. These two evolutions take a lot of mental fortitude and even the slightest of doubts will tear you apart. Of course the opposite is true in that if you smash the first day you will give yourself the confidence to carry you through, you also will not be watched like a hawk by the PTIs, who target the less fit candidates to try and break them.

As for the amount of running you should be doing, there are two points. Firstly, it is true that the endurance course is not very long in distance so you won’t be running any more than a mile in one go. However, ours lasted for around 3 hours or so, and bottom field in the morning was also 3 hours. So you need to condition yourself to exercising for extended periods of time. A 4 mile run might only take you 30 minutes, but if that’s all your body can sustain then you will fail. Adding long distance runs (8 miler in Arny’s programme) will train the energy systems your body needs to perform for that amount of time. Personally I wish I had done more fartlek training and long easy runs of 10 miles or more. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I think you should delay your PRMC, but it’s your choice. Good luck.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I would also like to add to that, don’t underestimate the amount of time it takes your body to actually get fitter, and do not ramp up your training too quickly. For your long runs I wouldn’t add a mile a week, I wouldn’t even worry about distance. Start off by saying you will run for 45 minutes, then each week just add 5 minutes. The purpose of a long run is to run at conversational pace, you shouldn’t be dying by the end of it. But the worst thing you could do right now is doubling your mileage in the 4 weeks or so you have left.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. J18

J18 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Please could you send me a link to the Points chart ? I had a look but couldn't find anything.

4. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    My stats were almost exactly the same as yours when I was 4-5 weeks out. My advice? take another few weeks. The gym tests are far from the conditions you'll be testing yourself in. You dont get to warm up all your muscles and stretch out and ease into it. You go straight into the tests in two groups and in my experience, theres a lot of time standing to attention, ease and in support positions where your muscles cool down and it's hard to kick start them again. my scores suffered by about 10-20% on the gym tests (apart from beep test, just had to dig out blind and run) and nearly didnt make it through the BFT I was that gone from the "warm up run".

The stats you have now you need to be doing on your worst of days, with no sleep, minimal fuel and a horrible hangover. If you can do that now then I guarantee you'll smash it with a decent score.

The PRMC is a horrible course, so much harder than on paper. You're getting beasted, doing exercises with cold muscles, workout's and sprints as warm-ups then have 6 minutes to drop a load, get 40 guys showered and into suits.

Postpone it 6 weeks, it's better than doing what I'm doing. I'm waiting 3 months before I can give it a shot again.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  5. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @HotelBravoMike my prmc date is 2nd of July. Also what was your 1.5 return run before coming. I might do a 1.5 mile run at 8 min pace before starting the BFT and use that as my warm up then still do the 2 1.5

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    That gives you 3 weeks of hard training because you will want to taper the last week down so you are nice and fresh. If you can do what you’ve suggested which is a 10 min 1.5 followed by bft with a similar return then you know you have a solid platform to build on. If you’re not already using it then incorporate arnys plan but maybe build the longer run from 4-6 miles over the 3 weeks rather than straight into 8. Plenty of hiit and hill work but don’t neglect the gym tests. Just my 2 peneth based on sons prmc experience

7. PUGS

PUGS New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    In my opinion you have only 3 weeks of solid training left before you start to taper off for your prmc, which isn’t enough time to add any kind of mileage to your weekly total. Rower intervals usually get my lungs in my mouth, 1000m in 3:30-4:00 mins consistently for 5/6 rounds with maybe 2/3 mins rest between. And train your legs heavily before your 4 miler, just to get comfortable running with heavy cramping legs. Best of luck

8. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @PUGS i might have to defer my prmc anyway as I’ve got a problem with my Groin which came up yesterday. And do you mean weight training for legs or body weight exercises to build leg strength

9. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
  10. GazMMM

GazMMM Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Fella !

Your not fit enough.

Get another date for PRMC and improve your phys.

Gaz

• Like Like x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  11. GazMMM

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Don’t become a familiar face in the Corp colonels office.

Impress first time.

With those stats you’d have failed when I did my PRMC in the 90’s.

But CTCRM has changed over the years, they want more guys through the gate now so the standards have dropped.

Don’t do just enough to pass, do enough to impress....your joining the Corps not the Army.

Gaz

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sturgg101

Sturgg101 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @GazMMM what BFT return time do you think I should be looking at before doin prmc? And I’m *text deleted* Max my press ups and sit ups atleast before heading down with atleast a sub 10 min

13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Try body weight squats to failure. They cost nothing and can be integrated into your run schedule to mix up training. If your legs feel like jelly after every session you'll know that you're moving in the right direction.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. GazMMM

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As fast as possible. It was a challenge for me. Not just pass my BFT, destroy it. Try and get a ‘physical superior’ certificate (if they still do it) and impress the PRMC team. A BTF is nothing really.

Gaz

15. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    My practice time was ~10 minutes. I had ran a few sub 10 minute ones but my trend was over 10. I must say though, being able to dig out blind on the run is so much easier than on the gym tests. I ran mine in 9:52.

Put yourself into a position where you can get sub 9:45 when your legs are gone. Our warm up was a workout in itself. Sprints, burpees, Jump squats etc. Then the first run is about a 7 min/mile pace up hill and you then walk into the finish bang on 12:30. What I took away from the is follow arnys plan - 2 x BFT or at the very least, run the first 1.5 fast so your legs are burning.

For the last 2-3 weeks of my training I ran very few BFTs. I ran a lot of treadmill and hill sprints. 300m on 200m off for 10 reps on the treadmill and 20 reps over 5 sets on the hill. I found that not only were my runs becoming easier but consistently faster, conditioning my heart and lungs to work harder with my legs but I just wish I’d done that sooner.

16. GazMMM

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I was on the PRMC and POC staff in 2005. All of your files are in the Corps col office and from the start to finish of PRMC each individual is monitored. We watched the ‘better’ guys and handed they’re files to there new training team. The better you perform the better it is for you. Don’t just do enough....impress. 9:30 was the pass mark in the 90’s. I did 7:36. Most were under 8:30.

17. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Impressive time - what sort of training plan were you following for a 7:36?

18. GazMMM

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’d have four routes from my house. Different distances and terrains. 3,5,7 and 9. I’d just work on doing each as quick as possible. Focus on beating 20mins for 3 first. Make it your goal. And run everywhere you can at a steady jog in between.

19. STG97

STG97 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Not very! Just be sure not to mess up so you don’t get given any extra phys before the tests

20. GazMMM

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If your that unfit then your applying for the wrong job.