PRMC Bottom field course and Endurance course

Sierra98

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve just recently failed my PRMC yesterday on the bottom field course. I was pulled from the course when I couldn’t do the full 100m bunny hops where my legs gave way, I was wondering what’s the best training program to build my strength in my legs as I have been given 6-9 months to re-try the PRMC? Also any other hints and tips would be nice also, thanks

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve just recently failed my PRMC yesterday on the bottom field course. I was pulled from the course when I couldn’t do the full 100m bunny hops where my legs gave way, I was wondering what’s the best training program to build my strength in my legs as I have been given 6-9 months to re-try the PRMC? Also any other hints and tips would be nice also, thanks

Get amongst the forum, there’s loads of tips and advice here.
How did you get on with the rest of the Fitness tests?

Out of interest, what do you mean you were pulled from it? 100m bunny hops is no mean feat. I would imagine they were scoping for lads determination.

Squatmonkey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You could add back squats 1x or 2x per week to your program. I personally do two squat sessions and 1 deadlift session per week and find that even when I am completely hanging out my legs still have power due to this.

Start light and with good form, for 5 reps to learn the movement and when you get comfortable add reps up to 10. Then after that put more weight on the bar and lower the reps (repeat the process), always keeping good depth (to parallel or slightly below ideally) and chest up, knees not collapsing.

Sierra98

Reaction score
Thanks squatmonke, and Threadpigeo I was pull from the bunny hops because when I got to the top of the hill my legs wouldn’t move and the corporal said I have 3 seconds to do 1 bunny hop each until I got to the end which was 5 metres away but I couldn’t jump so he said go back down the hill and start again which I tried but I couldn’t stand up so he removed me from the course. I did fairly well for the other tests but I hadn’t done any prep for the bottom field or endurance as such except for long distance running.

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Find a local football/rugby pitch and do a warm up that’s as close to the bottom field one as you can make it.

Sprint a length and then lunge walk back, sprint then squat jump back, sprint then bunny hop back. Take 2 minutes rest and repeat a number of times that you see fit.

Sierra98

Reaction score
Thanks Hyper, there’s a steep hill right where I live so I could do it there for more intensity?

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Hyper, there’s a steep hill right where I live so I could do it there for more intensity?

Yep, whatever works for you as long as you are getting that intensity. I used the football pitch as an example because 100m of bunnyhops on flat will require the same effort as 15 - 20m of bunnyhops uphill if you see what I’m saying. But you’ve got a hill so yes use that.

lkw07

Reaction score
Any other advice you could give or how bottom field went untill you got pulled? As I’ve got mine soon cheers

Sierra98

Reaction score
Make sure you listen to the corporols and don’t make the mistake I did which was to neglect leg strength for the bunny hops and the other endurance stuff. Also don’t fidget or scratch or yawn in the gymnasium or else you’ll be caught out and made to do push ups or burpees etc.

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Bottom field Excersises are there to test your determination, from the feedback I've had, there are many different ways which the PTI'S achieve this. Methods include.

Drags, carries, bear crawls, bunny hops, hill sprints, pistol drags. There's loads of different ways to achieve the same aim.

My advice to lads is to get a shed load of muscular endurance in your legs, from doing hill sprints followed by squats and lunges. So you'd do a set number of hill sprints, say 10??

So.

10 x 100 m hill sprints, followed by 15 squats and 15 lunges after each effort. Make sure you go full depth to work the entire muscle(make sure you add to this as you get fitter tho)

Then go run 3 miles as fast as possible.

I'd be very wary of adding in a specific excersise, because you could spend a lot of time doing bunny hops, only to find your bottom field prmc contains drags? Or vice versa.

Another session is a 10 min AMRAP of.

10 squat
10 lunge
10 box jump to 24" Box.

This will also condition your legs in a specific way that will cover all angles.

Remember the unknown is there to test your determination. Embrace that and enjoy it, you need a bit of a sadistic attitude to things really. In your preparations, in how you train and In your attitude. Whilst also being body aware too.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
but I hadn’t done any prep for the bottom field or endurance as such except for long distance running.

And that's why we keep on about training specifically for PRMC. You will not get through the BF, or the EC unless you train for it. Running just will not hack it. You need to replicate, as much as possible, what you will be put through that day. That means making all elements part of your training programme. My guess is that if you did manage the BF, then your legs would have failed on the EC.

Make bunny hops, drags, fireman's lift, hill sprints etc. etc all part of your routine and then after a session, go for a run.

Have a look at @arny01's programme and take on board as much as you can.

Good luck and make sure you're well prepared for the next one.

Alan

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you go full depth to work the entire muscle(make sure you add to this as you get fitter tho)

So bringing the weighted vest out to the hill sprint session for this part?

RunningFree09

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the fail mate, good luck on your next one. Flip side is you know what to expect for the next time!
All the advice given is sound and can't fault it or add to it really training wise, thing that helped me was definatley hill sprints!

However had my PRMC end of Oct and BF is still fresh in my mind, when I finished the second set (out of 3 sets!) of bunny hops, I got to the top of the hill by the road and nearly fell on the PTI because my legs could barely hold my weight which he did not find amusing. Once we had all finished the hops it was straight onto it pays to be a winner so I know how you felt!!

My point is that when your mind tells you that you are done, your body can always go a little further. It's a state of mind as they say and it all depends on how much you want it. When your training, when you want to stop or when your at the end of your reps and your legs are smashed, do another set and think about your end goal while your hurting.

Train hard and keep pushing!

Good luck mate.

Sierra98

Reaction score
Manks mate! Good luck with your RT, you definitely deserve it you all do. Take care

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
However had my PRMC end of Oct and BF is still fresh in my mind, when I finished the second set (out of 3 sets!) of bunny hops, I got to the top of the hill by the road and nearly fell on the PTI because my legs could barely hold my weight which he did not find amusing. Once we had all finished the hops it was straight onto it pays to be a winner so I know how you felt!!
You bunny hopped up the hill 3 times?!!:eek: On bottom field

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you mate! You to!

Yep... it was great fun!! The last set was horrific as none of us could crouch properly... let alone hop!!
Lost only 4 lads on BF which was surprising!
We lost like 5 on it(lagging too fair behind)glad we only did bunny hops up that hill once, did them across the whole bottom field though :D

When’s your start date?