PRMC Diary 17th July 2018

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by GingerBread, Jul 21, 2018.

1. GingerBread

GingerBread Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    PRMC 17th July

Tuesday
    Arrival:
    I had travelled for just under an hour from Plymouth to Exeter St David’s, here 3 lads in suits came over & it soon came apparent that we were going to be on our PRMC together.
    The train from here took around 30 minutes to get to Lympstone Commando.

Upon arrival here we waited in a line for the Corporal to come and show us our accomodation, on the walk up we had passed the bottom field & seeing it in person rather than videos made everything feel abit more real.

Once we had reached the accommodation there was a list of the kit that we would need to get from the stores in the block.
    There will be a form to fill in with questions about yourself & then to get changed out of our suits into phys rig to polish your boots that you’ll need for the few days.

After this it was a case of unpacking, making your bed and settling in with the lads you’ll be spending the few days with.

Back into suits and outside lined up in the corridor & then we went down to the galley to have scran.

Once we were back at the accomodation the Corporal called on us all to be weighed & measured. Upon providing my D.O.B the Corporal had got everyone to sing happy birthday to me as it was my 20th that day.

After this we got a brief on how Wednesday will go down & that everyone needs to clean the accommodation, shower, shave & suited for scran at.

Wednesday: RMFA, BFT & SWIM

05:00 wake up to clean and make sure everything is done to a good standard. shower & shave.

06:00 get yourselves down to the galley for some scran. Make sure you all go down together as a team.

07:30 into phys rig and you’ll be met by the drill instructor & be taught the basics of marching. This will help breakfast go down & there is some team games followed by it pays to be a winner, with the winning team choosing punishments.

Not long after this we all went down to the gym where the RMFA is conducted. The bleep test acts as a warm up & it is important to keep in time with the bleep otherwise you’ll get marked down and you’ll only get 3 warnings.

On the press ups, sit ups & pull ups a few lads got pulled out for not keeping in time with the bleep & this effecting the overall scores.
    You’ll learn not to scratch and wipe sweat off here and it will make your life a little bit easier.

Following on from this you’ll get showered & have lunch in your suits down in the galley.

After around 1 1/2 hours you’ll do the BFT, just before you’ll do a warm up to get your heart racing. 5 lads failing the BFT was extremely disappointing as there were some good lads who did well in the gym.

I believe these lads had been focusing too much on the gym aspects and not the running. The run itself isn’t difficult it’s a pretty flat route through country lanes.
    The first mile 1/2 run felt quicker than 12:30
    And a lot of the lads said this but at the end of the day if you have been training properly this should be the easy part of the day.

Following on from this we go straight to the pool to jump off the diving board and swim a length, width & another length followed by a dive to the bottom of the Pool (3.5m) to collect the brick and place it on the side.

By now we had lost 6 people, including the lad who withdrew before doing any phys.

After showering and getting into suits we had the chance to speak to recruits who were in the foundation block, these lads were in day 3 so everything was still relatively new for them. This was informative & it had given an insight into foundation.

We then had scran for about 17:00 and then went for an early night.

A tip here is to load all of your meals up! I can’t emphasise enough how important it is, you’ll need all the calories you can get.

Thursday: Confidence test, Assault course, Determination test & Endurance course.

Again 05:00 up to clean the accommodation, shower & shave.
    You’ll be down for breakfast at 06:00 in your suits again.

Around 07:30 we made our way down to the bottom field

We started off by doing the confidence test (punch through the net) after a good warm up. This was actually quite fun.

Following this we watched a PTI go over every obstacle on the assault course. We also had a go at every obstacle ourselves. Following this we did our timed run through.

We lost 4 lads on this part as they didn’t get enough points overall & 1 with an injury which was unfortunate.

The determination test is as hard as it looks/sounds. This is designed to put you out of your comfort zone and test your mind to see if you can keep going.
    You’ll be doing bear crawls, leopard crawls, burpee jumps. This is gruelling & I would advise anyone to practice these before going down to Lympstone. You’ll then get a partner and start doing fireman’s carries sprints. My partner who was carrying me put me down and VW’d at this point which was a shame as he let the demons beat him.
    There are baby carries sprints, as well as hill sprints where it pays to be a winner!
    Eventually this does end. We all go to the regain tank and jump in to cool off & get asked if would like to keep going for another hour or withdraw.

By now there were 7 of us left!

We got back to the accomodation, stripped off, had a shower followed by pasta out of some mess tins.
    At this point everyone was a bit stiff but happy that there was only one more physical test left.

Endurance course

The name speaks for itself to be totally
    honest.
    It took around approximately 10 minutes to get there on the minibus. We started with a ‘warm up’

Then it’s on to following the Corporal PTI around the trail running around, crawling through river beds that are very narrow. There will be points where you stop to do squat thrusts, press ups etc. This is an absolute hangout lads. There will be sprints where it pays to be a winner & losers go back around until we are all in. There are also sprints up hills backwards. You are battered and bruised throughout but just put it to the back of your mind.
    About halfway through you’ll be doing fireman’s carries sprint again, I didn’t have a partner so was made to just keep sprinting back & forth this took my breathe but wasn’t a surprise. Following this we had a short break with bananas and juice.
    Then straight back into it running & crawling through river beds so just more of the same.
    It was actually really fun as it’s something I had never done before, some people will disagree.
    At the top where we started the course we were invited to do extra phys as we didn’t pay attention to detail.
    Straight after this we were told to fireman’s carry sprint to the top swapping over as many times as we needed. For me I was alone again and was told to just sprint.

We were given a mars bar at the top and were told that we had finished the endurance course. Receiving that mars bar was the best feeling. The simple things.

We got back to the accommodation & got all of our dirty kit squared away. Showered and back into phys rig to take the dirty kit to the stores. Whilst we were here we had the pleasure of trying on some Haix boots and some socks. We got to take the pair of boots and socks back with us & at this point we were told that at any point there is still a chance of failure down to attitude and poor personal qualities. So none of us got over excited about this.

Upon getting back we chilled out & cleaned the accommodation to make life easier for ourselves on the next morning.

17:00 in suits & down the galley for scran.
    We had pretty much chilled out for the rest of the evening and then had 9’oclockers to get some fuel back in the system.

Friday:
    05:00 usual routine of cleaning the accommodation, showering etc

06:00 scran in our suits

We all had a massive feeling of self achievement just for making it this far. The room I was in started with 10 lads and finished with 3 of us. We were given a brief and told that we had passed and all received certificates.

Following this we had to run on pressure plates to help in the future if there were to be any injuries.
    there was a room inspection to make sure everything was to a good enough standard to leave which it was.

The Corporal told us to get our stuff and make our way down to the train station when ready.

Following this 5 of us went into Exeter and had a pint or 5 to celebrate passing and my 20th. Overall this was a great experience and gave an insight of the 'extra phys'’s that are to come & also met a great bunch of lads that I hope to see in Recruit Training.

I believe some people failed due to poor preparation, trying to be good at certain aspects but not as an all rounder & also mentally just not strong enough yet.

There was some good lads here and hopefully they do come back stronger knowing their weaknesses.

Any questions feel free to ask!

• Like Like x 25
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Seen Seen x 1
  2. GingerBread

GingerBread Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Some tips here for PRMC is to make sure to get plenty of water on board & eat big meals! You’ll need all the fuel you can get.

Also lads if any staff tell you to do something, just do it no if’s or buts & pay attention to detail.
    There was one lad on the first day who ignored what the corporal said and this put him on a poor start.

Also make sure that you support each other and work as a team! It’s all about encouraging and helping out your oppo

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

See? They are human ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  4. GingerBread

GingerBread Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    To be honest the training team have good banter as well which was great :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Geespt

Geespt Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Good read! Sounds exactly like my PRMC a few weeks ago! The only difference i think is a few exercises done on the bottom field determination test, but relatively the same type of stuff anyway!

Well done with your pass!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

I didn’t think that when they had me doing duck walks with a sandbag above my head quacking. :(

• Hoofin Hoofin x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  7. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    A huge well done mate, What kind of fitness preparation was you doing before?

• Like Like x 1
  8. GingerBread

GingerBread Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks mate & well done to you as well!
    Yeah I’m sure they mix it up depending on which PTI takes the session.
    What RT date are you hoping for mate?

9. GingerBread

GingerBread Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thank you mate! Appreciate that.
    I would like to thank @arny01 for sharing his training plan. I used it for 4-5 weeks in the period from PJFT to PRMC. I believe this definitely helped with the endurance course.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 3
  10. Geespt

Geespt Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I’ve currently got a provisional date for 17th September, my CA is going to give me a call sometime next week to update me and let me know what happens next!

How about you?

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GingerBread

GingerBread Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Nice one mate! That’s what I’m going for, my CA wasn’t in on Friday when I called. Monday I will be asking for that one. I have 3/4 lads already confirmed from the same PRMC on this date. I will keep you updated!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  12. DeathBySexy

DeathBySexy New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Could I ask, what are "pressure plates". I have an abstract image of immunisation against minefields.

13. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    its a matt basically, that measures how you land on your feet and the pressure - imagine a image showing how much pressure there is from each part of your foot.

14. jay1394

jay1394 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    No mention of a 1to 1 interview with questions about the marines history I was told would be part of the Prmc, have I got my information wrong or was it just not mentioned?

15. Geespt

Geespt Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    They used to do it, on my PRMC last month we asked the corporal he said they stopped doing the interviews as the AFCO’s interview you did should be enough and your interviewer should be asking the right questions anyway.

We also asked about the history test, he said he didnt know what this was haha since he had been doing PRMC’s they hadn’t done one.