Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRMC diary 2-5th May

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by SCOTTY6, May 8, 2017.

1. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

This was my second PRMC, and I'm sitting here with my boots on chuffed as chips. I found PRMC diaries really helpful, especially before my first PRMC when I wasn't sure what to expect and they give you useful tips such as don't fidget in the gym etc. though saying I knew that I still got extra phys for wiping sweat off my nose. Idiot! So heres my PRMC diary, apologies if I ramble, just hope this helps for any lads got PRMC coming up.

Day 1:
    I'm a jock so the journey down was a long one for me! met a load of other blokes on the train and on arrival to Exeter it was clear that it was a big course. 45 were booked on and I think there was 2 no shows so 43 to begin with. I had chatted with a couple of boys before through this forum which is well worth doing, just so theres a little bit of team spirit established before you get there. So we arrived at lympstone, get taken up to the accommodation and everything very fast paced day one, collecting kit, meeting your training team etc. Bit of advice if you rant familiar with the rank flashes etc, make sure you are before you go down, just so you're not calling a Corporal "sir" or the Sgt Major "mate" or "Corporal". We get an introduction brief at some point that evening, basically welcome to Lympstone, this is the training team, these are the rules, any questions, this is whats going to happen over the next few days and all delivered with classic bootneck humour. If you're easily offended you're joining the wrong team! haha

Day 2:
    Up at 5, clean the block, get shaved and showered. Make sure you shave!! We got thrashed because someone forgot! down to galley for breakfast, make sure you get food down you. you are constantly drinking water, I know nerves can effect that but it doesn't matter, don't see yourself off before you have even started by having a breakfast of 8 coco pops and not drinking. after brekky its a short period of drill just so you understand the basics of marching around camp and why they do drill. our DL was a hilarious bloke too. then its into the main building for the Sgt Majors introductory brief and he just tells us the running order and critiria tests and pass marks etc. Do not ask what the minimum is. It should not matter at this point lads, you should be giving absolutely everything 100% and if you have prepared properly, you will be well over anyway! Onto the BFT shortly after. It was a good day for it. quick warm up, then out the first 1.5 as a squad, quick turn around at the other end, enough time to retie a lace then back around. with 43 of us it was a bit of a clusterF. I sprinted off to try and get space then hit a wall, and loads of lads started over taking me and I honestly thought I was going home and I was going to get well over 10 mins! I ended up coming 22nd and I got a time of 9.05. Like the CSM tells you: don't fail yourself! if you think you're doing crap just get your head down and crack on.

After the BFT its back to the accommodation and into suits for a weapons brief, just to get hands on the weapons systems we will use in RT. After that its the written test on corps knowledge. Don't fret about this. if you have prepared properly it shouldn't be an issue. after this its into gash PT rig and you're marched down to the gym. You all know whats coming lads. the dreaded gym tests. just listen to whats being told and look switched on. don't fidget or day dream. This is where it counts, and do not stop running/pushing/pulling until you're told. After the gym its into the swimming assessment, as I said listen to what you're told and if you're prepared properly none of this should be an issue. the Wednesday is the day where you know whats coming and you can prepare for every aspect! we had one lad get level 14 on the beep test, max out sit ups and press ups and get 14 pull ups. Machine.

In the evening you get to go into the foundation block and talk to the newest nods and you also get to chat to a couple of diamonds from hunter company too to give you a more experienced word on training.

Day 3 Black Thursday: il try to keep this brief.

There is very little you can do to prepare for Thursday. I failed last Time on a points fail after bottom field, YOUR ASSAULT COURSE TIME MATTERS BIG TIME! Last time it took me about 4 months to get across the monkey bars so I built a set in my garden out of a couple of ladders.

shave shower scran, etc etc same as before. then its into boots and fatigues for the bottom field. quick warm up with the PTI then its on to the punch into the net and back down to bottom field for your intro to the assault course and your timed run. listen to instructions and do what they tell you. give your timed run 110%. sprint/scramble/jump like your running for your life. after timed run, its on to the fun bit. thrashed till your eyes bleed. sprint and cover, drag and carries, bunny hops and all that fun stuff. If you have a mate that is willing to practice drag and carries, get on it down your local park. especially pistol drags. I think a lot of us wanted to wrap around that point! haha. I'm not sure how long it lasted it was just a blur of pain by the end but remember lads it will end so just keep going and give everything 110%.

back to accommodation shower and sorted manky kit. you have your scran in the accommodation before the endurance course. eat big! especially for Thursday! get as much pasta as you can down yer gob. then its onto buses out to Woodbury. in my mind the bottom field was more intense but the endurance course was far harder. I'm not sure how long we were out there, but the aim of the game is just to keep going. this is where cheerfulness in the face of adversity and determination really come into it. you hit a point where you are done and you have zero energy and just keeping your head ups a mission. just laugh it off. just smile. honestly it makes it 100 times better when you. if you don't you will wrap. the elements of the endurance Course are very straight forward, get through the tunnel, sprint here, 10s there. its not easy and there will be points where you are in loads of pain and it sucks but honestly I really enjoyed the endurance course. there is more drags and bear crawls etc but you have to remember lads it will end. we finished with a group effort run back to Leafy lane. work as a team, if lads are struggling get up behind them and give them a bollocking and a push. the main point I want to high light here is that it ends. don't wrap.

After its back to accommodation for showers and scran.

That evening and Day 4 consist of phys briefs about keeping up your training before RT and covering things like nutrition and injury prevention all of which is very useful and as per entertaining as its delivered by bootnecks. haha you will also be issued your boots on day 4. wearing mine now! finally you get results and brief by the Sgt major. and then its off to the train and pints in Exeter!

sorry this is an absolute novel of a diary but I hope some of you find it useful!

In conclusion I had a brilliant time! really good bunch of lads, and a very fit standard too! also the training team are absolutely class. experienced Royal Marines and very good at what they do! get as much information from them as you can!

Any questions fire away!

Personal Stats from this PRMC

BFT: 9.05
    Beep test: 11.7
    Press ups: 60
    Sit ups: 76
    Pull ups: 6 (that beam will be the death of me.)

• Like Like x 16
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Equinox

Equinox New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    When do you start recruit training?

3. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

not been given a date yet, just off the phone with my AFCO and they are bidding my place for the 26th of June!

4. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Well done and congratulations!! All the very best for RT

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mas93

Mas93 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Really excellent diary mate.

Just gets me excited for my turn to have a go at it! Did you find you had enough time to digest your food before phys?

6. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

glad to have helped! yeah you get plenty time between eating and any phys you do! dont be shy and pile it in!

• Like Like x 1
  7. old-lynx-mech

old-lynx-mech Active Member

Gave me a giggle that one, monkey bars in the back garden - top job!

• Like Like x 1
  8. sidthesloth

sidthesloth New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi mate did you beat any of you're PB's and what did your training program look like prior to attending PRMC

9. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

hi! em i had done mock Gym tests at home and i had maxed out push ups and sit ups but obviously thats not under the strict gym rules or under the watchful eyes of the PTIs. So i was hoping to at least max out one of them which i did and i could have kept going on sit ups but i let my hands come away from my head one too many times, so they made me stop at 76. and i usually get about 8 pull ups on a bar but i really struggle with the beam. but generally the adrenaline kicks in and you find them a bit easier than normal for all the tests.

Training before i went down was pretty simple. Traing twice a day. Usually run in the morning, split into distance runs, sprint sessions on the track and hill sprints. then in the afternoon it would be some sort of body weight session. i didnt touch weights at all. strong believer in the saying: "keep it simple, stupid" I used a fintan circuit that my AFCO gave me that was absolutely minging but it helped a lot and i would do that 3 times a week on monday wednesday friday. i can send it to you if you want??

• Like Like x 1
  10. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Would be interested In seeing this circuit

11. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

12. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
  13. sidthesloth

sidthesloth New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    My training looks pretty similar to yours but I'll try the fintan circuit to see how good it is aha

14. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

yeah thats it! cheers @arny01 !

I changed mine a bit and did it 3 times a week to get some recovery in between and i did it on a running track:

Fintan/circuit done at local running track.

Set up 2 cones 30 meters apart. Between each exercise sprint 30m there and back to original cone.

at the end of each round, 400m sprint.

5 rounds.
    25 reps on each exercise

Push ups
    Sit ups
    Squats
    Push ups
    Sit ups
    Burpees
    Push ups
    Sit ups
    Tuck jumps.

Its minging, but its pulled my numbers up when I had been doing mock RMFA.

15. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Also good for the bottom field serials on Thursday?

16. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

definitely! sometimes my dad would come with me to give some RM style encouragement and be my partner for drag and carries too! hahah

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  17. OldmanL

OldmanL Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    How much time did you have between the PJFT and PRMC ? Got my PJFT coming up soon, i feel ready for it but not so much the PRMC and i'd like a decent period to be more prepared for it.
    Great diary by the way mate, congratulations on passing!

18. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

i had my PJFT on the christmas eve and had my first PRMC on January the 31st. so i had about 5 weeks. i underestimated how much i should have done in those 5 weeks hence me failing my first one, so if its a close date, dig out blind and get stuck in. but I'm not sure but i think you might be able to ask your afco for more time if youre not feeling prepared!

19. Beezneez

Beezneez New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Decent diary well done on passing are you in RT right now?

20. SCOTTY6

SCOTTY6 Member

Yeah mate, had to wait a while to start due to an injury after PRMC but I’m in week 18 now, crash week with bottom feild passout coming up!

• Like Like x 1