Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

PRMC Diary 3rd March - Pass

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by TrainInSaiyan, Mar 6, 2015.

1. TrainInSaiyan

TrainInSaiyan Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Hello all!

Tuesday

Don't know where to start. If anythings missed out or mixed up sorry, its all a blur of pain. Woke up Tuesday 3rd of March an absolute bag of nerves, worrying about everything, if i'd trained enough, what to eat, will I get on with the lads, all sorts. Got on the train with plenty of time to spare. 4 of us from Sheffield afco went down together so it was good to have some people to chat to and get the nerves settled. TIP, if your journey is a long one, bring food. I took a huge box of tuna/pasta down with me and it stood me in good stead. Every lad who got on the train after that who was wearing a suit I called over to sit with us! By the time we reached Exeter we had a group of 7 lads, met some more at the station and carried on our terrible nervous chat about the next few days. Arrived at the not so pearly gates of Lympstone and we're greeted by a terrifying Cpl who has us lined us up outside our accommodation (corridor!) and gave us a brief on what to expect over the next few days, how to communicate with ranks correctly and just general expectations. You'll learn very quickly that everything has to be done at 110% effort and speed, when a Cpl shouts CORRIDOR! drop what you're doing (if you're mid-poo...unlucky.) and leg it to the corridor and stand to asap, you do NOT want correctional phys. After this we unpacked our things, grabbed some boots, got some scran and just settled down for an early night. I slept about an hour because of nerves...and people snoring&farting...you know who you are.

Wednesday

Up at 5am for an ice cold shower and shave, no time to be tired because CORRIDOR. That's why. Stand to and you get the days brief, into suits and down to scran. Back to accommodation and clean up, I won't mention cleaning again after this but it happens a lot, make an effort to contribute in some way as you're ALWAYS being assessed, lazy people will be noticed. 3 mile tun time! To be honest the worst part of the entire experience (for me) was waiting around for the assessments, I hate waiting. Once the run started though all my nerves went and it was time to prove why I turned up. Came joint 1st with 2 other lads that crossed the line with me (...definitely won by a whisker ;) ) return was in the 8.40s so pretty happy with that. DO NOT high 5 or congratulate one another when you finish, you will get thrashed. Straight back to grots for another shower (you'll have about 5 a day so bring some moisturiser) changed again and onto the gym tests! Remember to observe gym etiquette, do not scratch or fidget, the last thing you want is correctional phys, before phys. Tip - practice not scratching at your home gym, let the sweat just roll into your eyes! You might look like an absolute donut but it'll get you used to it. Bleep test first, we lost a fair few on this lads so make sure you have at least one practice at home before you even bother turning up, since the minimum level was moved to 11 its caught loads out. Came joint 1st on this with a lad, got 12.5. Press ups, sit ups and pull ups next, I didn't do great at press ups - 37. 65 sit ups. 9 pull ups. A couple didn't make their pull up requirement, lost around 10 overall on the weds, most on the bleep test. After this there's the swimming assessment, jump into the pool swim a length, walk a width, swim a length, dive to the bottom of the pool and get a brick off the bottom (harder than it sounds) climb out, not using the ladders unless you're over 80, or pregnant.

Interviews next, cannot stress enough how much the Cpls are cracking down on corps knowledge, they are sick of lads turning up not knowing anything. What was once a layed back sit around chat has turned into a formal grilling on your knowledge of the Corps, they want detail. Revise VC winners/dates and what they won it for, not just the two lines of wiki about it, have a good idea of what went on during the event and be able to answer probing questions on it. Learn about recent conflicts like Afghanistan Iraq and the Falklands. After interviews scran and bed, eat well whenever you can lads, even if you don't feel hungry you'll need the calories.

• Like Like x 11
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. DeskJockey

DeskJockey Royal Marines Commando

congrats kid!

3. TrainInSaiyan

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Thursday :D

Good god. Up at 5 again after a couple of hours sleep, into suits and down to breakfast, eat as much as you can! Back to accommodation, probably cleaned again, CORRIDOR! Fastforward an hour or so, bottom field. Yay. Confidence test first, we all had to do this twice as we kept getting it wrong. You run along a beam and jump into a rope net, they explain how, its not hard at all but if you get the technique wrong they'll make you go again. Onto the obstacle course. You get demos of each obstacle and a practice run through and then a full run through best effort, I had to do an obstacle about 4 times because I wasn't doing it right, great fun. Pay attention during the demos. After the obstacle course its time for the team games! aka 'extra phys'. Loads of sprints, hill sprints, firemans carries, drags, bear crawls, hangs (all while soaking wet in full rig, you weigh a tonne) more sprints, squats, hill sprints...it goes on. Finally we finished, grabbed our drinks and congratulated each other...bad idea. MORE sprints and fireman carries. Finally done again, this time silence, fall in, march back to camp. All in all Bottom field and 'extra phys' took about 2 hours, we didn't lose anyone :) When you get back to camp make sure you eat well and take on fluids, stretch, foam roll, do whatever just make sure the time is spent productively and you're not just sat on your bed seizing up, it will be the end of you if you do.

Endurance course. Bit of a blur to be honest! Drove up there in silence, everybody nervous/knackered, I almost nodded off! Got there and straight into it, in no particular order you're navigating your way through tiny pitch black tunnels, crawling through some sort of demonic radioactive toxic sludge, crawling through thorn bushes, hill sprints, crawling through more tunnels, crawling through more bogs, more sprints and it just goes on and on!
    PAYS TO BE A WINNER, you'll hear that a lot, and its very true. Basically they'll pair/team you up against a group or individual and you'll race a distance and back, whoever comes last has to do it again while you rest. You're allowed to grab and throw your opponent if you deem fit! First one I had the lad grabbed me and pushed me but i caught up with him and launched him back down the path! Luckily i won all my pays to be a winner races and I can assure you guys that its worth putting the effort in to see yourself come first, doing that extra phys really can be the difference between a pass and fail. Onto the famous sheep dip and the lad who was just about to put me into the underwater tunnel got pulled out of the tank because he had a cut and was as white as a sheet, so we lost one there. After the sheep dip more of the same, sprints, crawling through rivers/rocks/sludge and then a few huge tunnels, one is so tight you can barely move your legs inside so if you're claustrophobic you might struggle there! The course took its toll on one lad inside the tunnel and he passed out in it. A cpl had to crawl in the other then and pull him out of it! Lost one there. After an eternity of more prints bog crawls squats and press ups we started the hare and hounds, Sgt Major lead the way at an 10min mile pace, all we had to do was keep up and not let the Cpl at the rear overtake us! STAY AT THE FRONT. We lost another lad on this. At this point everybody is broken, you've given all you can give, and more. Queue a 4 mile run back to camp :D its a very slow pace and easily doable. We got about halfway back and the Sgt Major stopped us and put us in the van and drove us back, we got out, confused/worried but he just congratulated us and explained at that point he'd already seen enough from all of us to warrant a pass and didn't need to put us through any more. Happy days! Back to camp to get ready for the night out! At this point the Cpls are pretty chilled with you so the night is just laid back, everybody's buzzing about passing and you learn a few cool bits and if your lucky your Cpl will tell some amazing stories like ours did.

Thats pretty much it! I made a thread a while back called 'whats your why?' asking people what they think will motivate them when times get hard and I realised halfway through the endurance course that all my 'why' reasons were just totally wrong, I found out I hate losing and I'm extremely competitive, the thought of somebody else being able to complete something and me choosing to quit is just a no go. A lot of people say they think about quitting during the Thursday but I can hand on heart tell you the thought never crossed my mind for a second, thats what I'm most proud of coming though this experience.

Anyway, today was just a couple of lectures then home. Job done! Got the t-shirt and certificate, hopefully start rt asap!

Training tips - Drop any weight training your doing unless its for your lower body, loads of body weight circuits, hill sprints, squats. Get used to running on tired legs, maybe do some spinning classes for the low impact immediately followed by a 3miler best effort. Just make sure you push yourself to your limits during training, it'll make the prmc so much more bearable. Honestly its all doable if you're prepared and go down full of confidence (not arrogance) and believe in yourself throughout the course.

Any Questions let me know.

• Like Like x 20
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  4. TrainInSaiyan

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Cheers mate your lad smashed the hare and hounds! No idea what happened with that bleep test, must be a mistake?

5. Guski

Guski Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    So you did not get scran in between the 3 miler and the gym tests? Just a shower in between?

Congrats on the pass!

6. bharry96

bharry96 Guest

yeh we did have both.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wingzero

Wingzero Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    well Done bro!! loved reading your diary. you've deserved this!

8. TrainInSaiyan

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    'what would goku do' is always the standard!

9. JC123

JC123 Well-Known Member

Great diary mate! Thankyou a lot! Mine is next Tuesday and I can't wait! Reading this has really helped! Did you get your boots too?

10. TrainInSaiyan

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Thanks mate, good luck next week! Try your best to enjoy it, even the Thursday try and crack a smile when your absolutely beasted, show them your there to pass and loving every second! Yeah got my boots mate, can't stop messing about with them!

• Like Like x 1
  11. JC123

JC123 Well-Known Member

Yeah I will! I'm so exctactic about it and can't wait! Aha I bet you can't stop, I don't think I could aha!

12. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

Good effort TrainIn. Your diary emphasises a few great points, that some people miss. BZ.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Good effort, good diary, good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TrainInSaiyan

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Thanks very much Freddie

Thanks alot Ninja!

Forgot to mention that we had a talk from 3 diamonds on the weds night and that was brilliant, a very honest chat about what training is like, there will be times when you wonder why you're there but always look to the future, its not forever.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Frankie11

Frankie11 Veteran Contributor

Well done mate, really pleased for you!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mr D

Mr D Venerated Contributor

Excellent Diary there young man and very well done to you and the rest who got their boots.
    Best of luck in RT mate,keep focused.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TrainInSaiyan

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Thanks very much Mr D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maximus james

Maximus james Valuable Contributor

How many went and how many passed??

19. OJL

OJL Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Congratulations, best of luck with training.

Congratulations on your son for passing PRMC

20. TheGeek

TheGeek Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    TMU
    Well done mate and thanks for the diary. Has the night in the field been done away with now?

Geek