Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRMC Diary, 9th October.

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by allye, Nov 8, 2018.

1. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Couple people have asked me to write up a diary, I found these extremely useful so here’s a up to date PRMC format, 9th October.

Tuesday

I didn’t see any other candidates until Exeter, but once there they stand out like a turd in a glass of milk so you can congregate and have chat. Everyone was bricking it, but once chatting and on the train we all relaxed. Make no mistake the PRMC starts when you step off that train, line up and give surnames, unlike one of ours who was quickly shouted at.

Register and straight to accommodation, carry all luggage do not wheel anything. Pay attention to everything you are told, the small details, times, details etc. As soon as you get in you are given plenty of admin to be getting on with, drawing out kit, making beds etc. Keep all area tidy such as the kit room, otherwise you’ll jut be thrashed later on for it being a mess. Lads turning up later than yourself, help them out with the paperwork and admin etc. That’s pretty much it for the first day, lots of changing in and out of different rigs. Evening to yourself after dinner, we all really relaxed and everyone said how they felt much more nervous in the days leading up.

Wednesday

Up at 0500, you can get up 5mins earlier but honestly I actualy just went down at 0510-0515 and it was fairly quiet in the showers by then. Clean accommodation before breakfast at 0600, into to phys rig, learn some drill which is quite fun, then a lecture from head of the PTI’s. Into the gym, bleep first, we did 2 groups of 20. As you’ve read before, zero scratching, itching or moving unless told, I actually got caught twice and had extra phys. On the bleep make sure your foot gets to the line, this is the biggest reason for getting pulled off. Into press ups, sit ups and pull ups, my advice is keep knees together on sit ups, caught a few of us out and chin over bar on pull ups. You do have chance to go to the toilet right before entering so don’t stress about that too much. PTI’s are nails blokes but they are human and will try and help you get max scores.

Can’t really remember what was between the gym and lunch, think it was just shower into suits ready for lunch. Post food into phys rig again, marched over the bridge into a hard warm up and BFT, we ran in the combat trousers and trainers by the way, it does add time. Again chance for a wee at the turn around point. After that it was into the pool test, over the board, length, width, length dive 3.5m, couple guys actually failed this, I’ve been a ocean lifeguard for 9 years and do a lot of free diving so I could do this easily, but do train it as it catches people out. Back to accommodation into suits for dinner then the evening is yours with admin to be done, just cleaning etc. Normally everyone is asleep from 2100.

Thursday

Same morning routine as before, straight into bottom field rig, brim bottles, when inspected you can squeeze the bottle to really brim them. Assault course, first you need to learn how to cross the ropes, pay attention to exact technique shown, one lad actually failed this and sent home, onto the low ropes which is now the confidence test not the punch through. Again its all technique, they prefer well executed technique at a slow pace over guns blazing speedy mess. You are then shown how to do every obstacle and get to try them before times runs, I can’t stress enough, do the obstacles well not messy, most did two handed monkey bars to avoid the possibility of falling in etc. Listen to instruction such as pull the rope, shout your name etc.

Quick drink, straight into determination, just get your head in the game, listen to what you are told and give it your all, they don’t want mr perfect athlete, they want good solid attitude and your upmost at all times. Yes it grim, its hard, goes on for a long time just don’t ever contemplate withdrawing. Only tip I can give here is during the carries, with a career in lifesaving I’ve been doing this for a long time! Keep the casualties body weight close to you, on the baby carry get them to really pull into you and get head into your neck, sounds cute but helps, on the reverse drag and over shoulder drag, get their body weight up high not dragging you down low.

Back to accommodation, shower, hot box food in accommodation and straight on the bus to EC, another aggressive warm up, beforehand tape your feet up! Wear two pairs of socks, wear the under armour shorts, all helps. EC is what it says, I’m sure you’ve all seen videos, actually quite fun, there are more hill sprints, carries and pays to be a winner, at the end when they say “everyone remember the route? Go again then” DO NOT grumble or withdraw, I’ve heard of guy doing this getting sent home only for us to be turned around to the bus 200m down the track when they set us off again. Again, it’s that attitude and cheerful in the face of adversity they really want, its not just a PR thing. At the bus you get juice, banana and a mars bar which tasted amazing after that!

Back to accommodation, shower, suits food, mildly relax. That evening we had our chat with diamonds which was really useful, issues boots, also we had our corps history test – do revise.

Friday

Morning routine as normal, you have a bit of time after breakfast to thoroughly clean and pack, you these receive lectures about diet, training, stretching etc, had the foot fall test thing from Exeter university, then finally at the very end the head PTI tells we have passed, you can still fail post EC on attitude so professional at all times. You get some food to take on the train and off you go.

Excuse the length I just had a lot to get out. My top tips would be

-good attitude

-help each other out when ever possible

-when training train like the real thing, the relentless nature of it combined with aggressive warm ups and nerves means almost no one got PB’s

-train strict, knees together, chin over bar etc etc

-give it 100% the entire time

Thank for reading if you’re still here, and heres to RT on the 26th November.

(P.S. hot water never runs out, its hot when only 1-2 use them, cold with 4 at all times)

• Like Like x 10
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. flakey19

flakey19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Good read that mate, congrats on the pass!
    Was the first run out on the BFT quicker that 12:30? I’m training doing it at 11 just wondering if it’s something all PT’s are doing.
    Also, when you say low ropes with regards to the confidence test, what is it?

• Like Like x 1
  3. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Impossible to say reference the run, you go out hard, but then slow right down to a walk near the end, also have more than 1 minute rest - it’s all relative to the PTI though.

Low ropes is just by the start of the assault course, pull yourself across a rope at maybe 2.5m high, run across scaffolding planks - you have to run with confidence or do it again, up another level to another pull along a rope so maybe 3m then a descend via a cargo net.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flakey19

flakey19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cheers for that mate, what stats did you get?

5. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    12.5 bleep
    48 press ups
    10 pull ups
    40 sit ups (has a shocker there)
    9.30 BFT

6. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    :)
    Well done for passing, that was a great read and lots of useful information, thanks