Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRMC diary - fail

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by HotelBravoMike, May 9, 2019.

1. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Stuck on the train after bottom field today and thought I’d write up whats it’s like to fail PRMC.

I’ll do my best to outline timings etc but it’s mostly a reflection and guidance on how to not maje the same mistakes I did.

I arrived at CTC around 4pm, one of te last people to arrive. We quickly had to grab what kit we could before scran at 1815 I think. The kit is *text deleted* and being the last guys to arrive the kit is even worse. Very ill fitting kit.

Everyone demolished the clothing store looking for the right kit; 2x pcs shirts, 3x pcs trousers and a brown/green tshirt... make sure this gets tidied or you will expect the worst 'extra phys' of your lives. Luckily we dedicated a few guys to to just this and my god that room was clean.

Off for a short briefing and instruction on drill and what the house rules are for PRMC, nothing too complicated.

Off for 9 o’clockers which was detailed to be at the mess hall for 8:45 which brings me onto my next point... BE 5-10 MINUTES EARLY ALWAYS. We ended up doing the bend and stretch routine in suites, after the gym tests and 3 miler on the Wednesday and *text deleted* me that killed everyone.

Off to sleep nice and early for a 0545 wake up. If you’re unfortunate like my room was we had a bloke set his alarm for 0500 seeing us all out of the crucial 30-40 minutes extra sleep.... woke up even earlier day 2.

Straight up and into the showers; heard lots about getting in early for the hot water and to be completely honest I have 0 idea what thats about because not a single lad had a cold shower no matter how busy. Get what cleaning you can get done before scran at 0615. Get loads down you as I'm sure everyone knows but god stay away from the fried bread. I dont think it was humanly possible how much came out the other end. Finish cleaning and into suits for a lecture on the tests over the PRMC. straight into PT kit and down to the gym for the tests.

This is where it went wrong for me.

Do not do what I did and let the jitters get the better of you. You’ll end up fatiguing yourself from the adrenaline and drying out your mouth and throat. I ended up doing just this and got ahead of the beep on sit-ups and pull ups resulting in me being pulled off more than half of what I know I can do. I put this down to not enough training with the bleep itself and just incorporating the exercises into my circuits.

lunch at 1215 roughly, into PT rig for the 3 miler.

For the love of your life and scores make sure your water bottles are toppers or you can expect a 'extra phys' before the run and the first run to be done at around a 10-11 minute pace with marching towards the end but *text deleted* me it will ruin you.

3 minutes turn around.

*text deleted*ing sprint but pace yourself. The first half is up hill but the last half is mostly flat/downhill so save yourself for that. This was a proper honking run and I was running and almost spewing down myself but had to crack on.

Swim tests, scran etc, lots of downtime nothing too exciting.

Thursday was the same start. Into PCS kit for bottom field. For this I knew I needed 3-4 points to make up a pass to sort my screw up in the gym. I knew I could do it but hey that didnt go as planned.

We had another 'extra phys' as the warmup as a result of yesterdays bottle situation. This sapped everyones energy already. We got a nice rest doing the confidence test but ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FEET MOVING unless told to steady your feet.

Now I'm terrified of heights but I managed it with actually being congratulated by the Cpl so you should be able to do it no problem.

Demonstrations on the obstacles.

You’ll get a demonstration of about 2-3 obstacles and then told to run and do them as a race. Pace yourself. I sprinted all these races and came first but burned out too quickly for the timed run.

Timed run time. This is where is went wrong for me AGAIN.

Tank trap fine, 6 ft wall fine, the collapsed gate thing (I forget names) was a small disaster, fell off and dropped from first to well last. Picked up and carried on under the scramble net and onto the monkey bars. I over thought it and ended up not taking my time and dropped in the drink. This made me so heavy with water weight and slowed me down to the point where I could barely run up the hill. Another long story short, this is where I was told I didnt accrue enough points.

I let the fear of the unknown take hold of my head before it was too late. And by the timE I began to turn that round I over thought things and shot myself in the knee. its just another gym session. Yes so much harder than what you will have done but just continue doing what you’ve done in the gym to get the points and then worry about getting through the assault course rather than making up points.

I know I am fit enough already, I just need to work on my mental stamina for next time but believe me, I will pass it.

Anyway, I hope there was enough detail in there for you, my train journey is almost over!

• Like Like x 21
  2. Pedders

Pedders New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers for positing this mate, a very interesting read. Just out of interest do you know what scores you got across the gym tests and bft?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Nice one. Thank you - takes guts to admit a fail...and still give others the benefit of your experience.

Appreciated, good luck on the retake.

HBM - Harry Black Maskers, matelot?

4. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    11.6 VO2
    37 press-ups
    37 sit ups
    5 pull-ups
    9:53 1.5

Very disappointed in my scores unfortunately. Especially knowing that I'm capable of 15-50% higher scores. Just dont get ahead of beeps and then noticed by the PTIs.

HBM... if I told you that would be against persec

5. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Quality piece of kit!!

Oh, good luck next time mate.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It would. Sit in the naughty chair. ;)

7. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Tea bags?

8. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

@HotelBravoMike

Mate, to echo some of the comments above it takes balls to admit a failure.

I think how we handle failure is more important than how we handle success. Particularly in the military. The ability to stand back up, dust yourself off and crack on is a quality that will stand you in good stead.

Failures are finger posts on the road to achievement.
    – C. S. Lewis

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I appreciate the response lads, the diaries I had read had really helped me but I just got in my own head and just want any potential recruits to not do what I did so thought I might be able to help them.

Although a fail, I met a load of great blokes and had an absolute laugh. I can say I stepped so far out of my comfort zone and cracked a lot of fears (heights and diving for the brick). So no matter the outcome for anyone going through PRMC, take it as a lesson and come back stronger.

• Like Like x 5
  10. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Can you outline the "determination test"? pls

11. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I never got that far unfortunately but it’s basically beastings and lots of phys to see if you crack. Go have a read of some pass diaries to give you more of an insight

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Unlucky there best of luck next time. Nothing worse than someone who thinks getting up even earlier than early it doesnt help the blokes

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Appreciated wings. It really did do everyones head in.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Had the issue in training the man would set 3 Alarms to wake himself up around 45 minutes before 5.30 and with tue obvious late nights it didnt take long before the section spoke

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@HotelBravoMike You'll smash it next time.

I've never done a PRMC or a PRAC (not invented) but I've got lots of respect for anyone who attends whatever the result.
    As stated by others, thanks for the diary. Often it's the tale of what went wrong that helps others the most.

• Like Like x 4
  16. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    This was a good read because it highlighted the mental strength needed at CTC to pass. A lot of people, including myself, focus on the physical aspect of it and forget about the mental side.

Good luck for your second time round, you know what you need now so you'll smash it!

• Like Like x 3
  17. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Absolutely mate. There’s really no time to rectify anything. You need to go in right away with the positive mental attitude and get the points. The Cpl said that get to the assault course with only needing 1-2 points to pass (or none obviously) and worry about getting through it.

18. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I don’t understand why, we had all admin out of the way by 7am and was sitting around for 45 bloody minutes

• Like Like x 1
  19. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Sheet bloody mindedness?

20. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot