Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRMC fail, BFT issues

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by trow123, Jul 6, 2018.

1. trow123

trow123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Failed my 1st PRMC on Thursday, I failed the BFT, the corporals said my gym tests were good but my CV is *text deleted* any tips on improving my BFT and bleep test would be appreciated!

Also any questions about the PRMC I’ll answer

2. Nathan100101

Nathan100101 Member

What was your average return time prior prmc? Best way to get better at running is to run. But training specific helps.

If your legs couldn't keep up maybe some longer distance. Or if your lungs were about to explode you may need some sprints to get used to working harder if that makes sense.

And how did you do for press ups pull ups and sit ups on the day?

3. trow123

trow123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    To be fair everyone on my course found that the PTI ran the first 1.5mi fairly quick haha I got 11.18 on my return.. horrific I knowI couldn’t get the speed in my legs! I’ve always struggled with the bft and running in general the best I’ve ever run a 1.5miler is 9.50 but running up to my prmc I was getting just over 10 mins

I got 10.9 vo2 max, 55 press ups I think I got 58 sit ups and I got 11 pull ups

I just want to put a running plan together, I know I can maintain and improve my gym tests

4. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    FairPlay for coming on here and saying you failed on that!

Did you not complete the Bft or just did it in to slow of a time which hampered your points score?
    What did you get on the other gym tests?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Excuse my last points with regards to the scores.

Did you fail the course when you finished the bft run?

Only reason I’m asking is looking at your scores you had 16 points and that’s before doing the obstacle course unless the scoring system has changed?

6. GingerBread

GingerBread Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    First off all, well done for going down there & giving it a go anyway! You’re not far off at all by your gym stats. I’m sure you’ll smash it next time around.

I have some questions, how long do you have to wait until you can go back for another PRMC?

2.) did you feel like adrenaline helped you through the gym tests?

3.) did you do the RMFA before the BFT? As I have seen on a previous PRMC they have done that?

Cheers
    Ginge

7. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    A realistic plan, is 6-9 weeks long and running multiple distances at multiple levels of intensity, aim to get to at least 9:30 at the end of the 6-9 weeks
    Test your bft once a week
    Do some hill sprints to get the speed in, maybe once or twice a week spread apart
    One long distance run (say 7-8 miles)
    For example:
    Monday: BFT
    Tuesday: hill sprints
    Wednesday: slow, long distance or rest
    Thursday: 3 mile non stop best effort.
    Friday: hill sprints again
    Rest Saturday, maybe do another slow run if you need to.
    Even If you shave off a second each week on the BFT, you're improving.
    Be careful not to overdo it, if you're not feeling it then just go light and try again tomorrow

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thechancer

Thechancer Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Not making the run back in time is a fail

9. Thechancer

Thechancer Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Run mate, aim for 15 to 20 miles a week

If you have time don’t blur up your running
    Like a run long in and evening 6 miles with a 3 miles the next morning.

You want to be pushing your self

• Like Like x 1
  10. ERFC

ERFC Royal Marines Commando

6 miles at 7 min/miles over a hilly route with mixed terrain is the minimum you want to be able to do before going down from a PRMC. If you can do that you’ll have no problems with the BFT/VO2 tests.

• Like Like x 1
  11. trow123

trow123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Scoring system hasn’t changed is just if you finish the bft with a time over 11.15 you fail the course.. it doesn’t matter if you max out the gym tests

12. trow123

trow123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I completed the bft but I was just really slow

13. epicurean

epicurean New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I think people make a massive mistake by training for their first mile and a half to come in at exactly 12:30 whereas in reality it can be faster or slower.

It’s always better to be prepared so I’ve always trained to come in at just under 12mins on the first 1.5, that way I have a 30second buffer to account for what mood the PTI may be in.

Something else to keep in mind is your height, if like me you’re above 6ft then you’ll be at the back of the pack and it will feel faster because you are having to take longer strides to make up for the stumpy legged fools infront of you that can’t keep pace with the man in front.

I did an RMAD this week and to be honest it’s shocking how ill prepared some people are, there were 31 of us and I was the only one that achieved an equivalent pass score for PRMC. There were blokes here that couldn’t do 20 press ups, 30 sit ups or even a single pull up. A few lads dropped off the running track after only a few laps and some didn’t make it past level 6 on the bleep test.

I don’t think it can be stressed enough how important it is to prepare yourself, you can’t just decide to join the Royal Marines, you have to want it, you have to train very hard before applying and have a high level of determination. If you can’t at least hit the minimums then you shouldn’t even be applying.

If you can’t run or you need to get faster then practise, if you can’t do enough sit ups push ups or pull ups then smash them out every day. Ditch the gym membership and the stupid heavy weights thinking it will help and just stick to the basics of what you need, everything else should be ancillary to the necessities of the prmc and rt.

I know this has came across as a bit of a rant but I honestly couldn’t believe how ill prepared some people were on my acquaint day this week. This post isn’t aimed at the original thread owner either.

Hit the road and run, you only need to be able to run three miles for prmc so do some three milers at good steady pace and mix it up with a mock BFT once a week. Get some hill sprints in, even if it’s on a treadmill and definitely get some solid swimming done to help build your CV. The whole BFT is more about your ability to breath properly, practise your breathing so you can get enough oxygen into your muscles and don’t worry about what anyone else is doing, just zone out and focus on doing your best.

I remember something a PTI said to me in RT and it has always stuck with me;
    “you need to treat your brain like you treat your muscles. The only way to make muscles stronger is to stress them, so to make your brain stronger, stress it by sending it to it’s darkest place and keeping it there because Your head will quit long before your body”

ESSAY COMPLETE

• Like Like x 3
  14. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Failed on the same thing on POC, haven't been been invited back as I'm now too old (still kicking myself).

Anyway, my advice is train for specificity. When I was training I was also training for a marathon, I smashed the marathon no problem, but due to lack of training for the BFT in particular I *text deleted*ed up. Hill sprints are what to focus on.

15. Surfbum

Surfbum Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Sorry I disagree,

Finish the squaded run and when you have your "rest" make a conscious aggressive effort to get to the front. If that's not possible then be aggressive during the return. I don't mean by seeing the man off next to you by pushing him in the gutter!

Some of the lads did mention that if you start at the back of the pack during the return then the first 20-30 seconds can be a bit dodgy but it dissipates pretty rapid. It all depends how badly you want to be out front I guess.

• Like Like x 1