PRMC Gym tests practise

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by mizuno24, Jun 16, 2017.

1. mizuno24

mizuno24 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I did my first attempt at practising the PRMC gym tests today. I downloaded an app called beep test, then set out two cones 20m apart.

I got to level 12 on grass before hilariously slipping up! I laughed it off and got straight up ready for the next tests. Then I had 2 mins recovery.

This is where I am fully aware I need to improve my upper body strength. In 2 mins I did 40 press ups, another 2 mins 68 sit ups and then 6 pull ups. I know this is very short of the mark. It's a start though. My brother who has been through RT advises me to ditch the running for a while because he says my cardiovascular fitness can be gained in 4 weeks before PRMC, and I have a lot of room to play with because my best effort mile and a half is 8:51

I know muscular strength is developed more over time and must be addressed now. Should I be doing bench press, deadlifts, weighted pull ups and press ups etc? I have been working on Press ups and pull ups a lot but not with any proper structure. I have mostly been doing the circuit that I was given by my adviser. This goes something like Pull ups, press ups, sit ups, Dorsal Raises and Burpees. The amount of reps increases with each set of 4.

It will be interesting to hear other lads take on this and what your stats are too if you're currently preparing for a PRMC.

Thank you

2. borneboy

borneboy New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    "In 2 mins I did 40 press ups, another 2 mins 68 sit ups and then 6 pull ups. I know this is very short of the mark."

Short of the mark? that is the mark those scores a pass

3. stumpylegs

stumpylegs New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I'm the other way round, max out on the press ups, sit ups and pull up scores but last time I ran the prmc run outside I was just under 10 mins, haven't tried it outside in quite a while due to training on the treadmill for my pjft

I'd advice just doing more press ups and pull ups, as many as possible, almost everyday because this will "grease the groove" and make them easier over time
    I follow these, there's also one for the sit ups if you want it?
    The pull ups I do the sets and reps in the pictures then add them up and do however many left I have to do a 100 pull ups for that day, I do that 3 times a week the twice a week I do weighted pull ups with enough weight that I couldn't do more than 4-3 reps, I start at 40kg do sets till I can't do 3 reps then lower the weight by 5kg and keep repeating this until I get to 15kg sets then do a max rep set with just body weight.

Hope this helps

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  4. Teapot

Teapot New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Mate those scores aren't bad at all. I'm only a bit higher than you on them and I'm chuffed with my stats! Although I understand the need to keep pushing because I want to score maximum points at PRMC too.

I'm not going to argue with someone who has been through recruit training but increasing cardio capabilities and strength don't have to be mutually exclusive. I've been working on both cardio and strength and increasing both at the same time. If you eat right it's possible to do both. Plus I imagine only giving yourself 4 weeks to get into your groove before PRMC will only increase your stress and could cause an injury if you go too long without running and then start back where you left off.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  5. stumpylegs

stumpylegs New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Could also try @arny01 prmc training plan, it looks solid, will be under the training methods and diet

6. mizuno24

mizuno24 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Short of the mark? that is the mark those scores a pass[/QUOTE]

I'm happy with the scores at this stage but I want to be aiming more for 60 Press ups, 75 sit ups and 12 pull ups. Then when the day comes I know I'm going to be hanging by the time I get to gym tests so that would maybe drop to somewhere in the region of 45 Press ups, 65 sit ups and 9 pull ups.

My current scores on the day based on what I can do now, I would expect to go down. Something like 30 press ups, 55 sit ups, 4 pull ups. Those scores are definitely not good enough, so I have around 6-7 months roughly before PRMC, being that all is well and I pass all of selection.

7. Caffeine and carbs

Caffeine and carbs New Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I think running fitness is the main factor in being strong on bottom field and endurance course, so I'd be very careful about neglecting it in any way. And theres no problem with training both running and gym at the same time so I don't think you need to train one instead of the other.

• Like Like x 2
  8. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I'd say keep up the running and just up your strength training and make sure you're eating enough