PRMC In 4 weeks... Help on pull ups!

t00old4this

Reaction score
I have been reading the PRMC diaries section, in one of them it says you need to do a minimum of 3 not to fail, and another one says 6. Can anyone clarify the correct pass amount? I am rubbish at pull ups and just cant seem to improve them, I have bought one of those argos bars for the door but can only manage 3!

JSB

Reaction score
Have you tried doing negative repetitions? i.e jump up and grab the bar at the top of the movement and try to hold yourself there as long as possible before you slide down to the bottom position and repeat.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried doing negative repetitions? i.e jump up and grab the bar at the top of the movement and try to hold yourself there as long as possible before you slide down to the bottom position and repeat.

This is a very good method of improving pull ups. Although the method mentioned above is slightly different to that which I have been told. Instead of holding at the top, the aim is to lower yourself from the top as slowly as possible.
Also I would go to the gym and do lat pull downs.
If you have a friend (i hope you have at least one) you could ask them to assist you in pushing out a few more pull ups by lifting you up slightly.
All should help.

t00old4this

Reaction score
Uhh no I havn't to be honest, I might just be being to picky but I have got to bend my legs at the knee to stop my feet hitting the floor. My bloody gym doesn't even have a pull up bar there! Gay! I am so close to phoning my AFCO to postpone my PRMC aaaggh soooo angry, my blood boils every time ithink about it *text deleted* ive tried so hard to improve my running and neglected the upper strength!

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I put my pull up bar in the hallway, every time i go to the toilet you I bang out as many as I can. Seems to help.
Mate in 4 weeks you should easily be able to do 6.
just keep trying.

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Do the grease the groove method, everytime you go past the pull up bar, do a pullup.

TommyK

Reaction score
All of the above suggestions I used mate and I went from doing 0 pull-ups to 3 in about a week or so, so in 4 weeks I reckon you'll be able to bang out 6 no probs

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
if you can already do three, just bang them out all the time, the minimum is now 2, but to be honest if you cant do six at prmc its not a good look.

Taggart91

Reaction score
How many pull ups will you be expected to do during Rt in the fitness tests in week 2?
Because i think i couldprobably at max get around 10 is that enough?

daz665

Reaction score
What week is that assessment you're on about Priar? Seems quite a jump from the PRMC requirement

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
What is the RMFA?

Is it.. Royal marine final assesment or something?

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The Royal Marine fitness assessment is the test they give you where you have to do your press ups, sit ups and pull ups to the beeps.
It's a bit like the bleep test. I'm not sure at which stage they perform this.

danny12

Reaction score
i would suggest doing 3 pull ups everytime you go past your pull up bar. Also try adding some weight (small amount) to make the pull ups harder.
Another thing to do is lat pull down.
I used to be able to do no pull ups but i can do 6 now.
keep sticking at it mate!!

RC

Reaction score
I have been reading the PRMC diaries section, in one of them it says you need to do a minimum of 3 not to fail, and another one says 6. Can anyone clarify the correct pass amount? I am rubbish at pull ups and just cant seem to improve them, I have bought one of those argos bars for the door but can only manage 3!

If I were you I would try the following (based on your current max) -

Monday - 5 sets of 1 - lower yourself in a slow / controlled manner e.g 5+ seconds or as long as possible. This will place considerable demand on your CNS.

Wednesday - 3 sets of 2 (Nothing too demanding to allow recovery from Monday's session).

Friday - 5 sets of 2 pull ups. First set test your max.

Take 3 minutes rest between sets.

Progression - add 1 set to Monday's session on 1 week then add 1 set to Fridays session the following week.

1 week before your PRMC reduce your workload considerable and don't do any pull ups for 3 days before.

I would imagine you would be able to increase your max pull-ups significantly if you follow something similar to the above.

Also, if you have been hammering the pull-ups the last week, take this weekend off before starting (recovery is vital).

Hope this helps.

Rich.

Knockton

Reaction score
Do the grease the groove method, everytime you go past the pull up bar, do a pullup.

Yea thats what i did, trebled the amount of pullups i could do in a couple of months, and up the amount of pullups as soon as one just gets too easy