PRMC mid nineties

keith thomson

Reaction score
Hello Lads. I passed my PRMC in the mid nineties just looking at some of the posts interesting to read some of the changes that has been made to it. Lately I have been thinking about tge reserves as a challenge im a pti so fitness still good but at 41 I might be to late pity really still have that hunger.

james johno

Reaction score
Hi mate I don't know the answers to your question but I'm really interested to know from what you've read, the main differences from prmc in the 90's to present

keith thomson

Reaction score
Hi mate, I could be wrong but I dont seem to remember doing pullups? I remember the vo2 max, the swim test treading water, assault course, rope test, everything was mark time wet kit never could get it dry on time. And one of the lads was changing his cap badge from the paras I seem to remember him getting it tight everywhere he went. Do they still do the computer simulation weapons training on that big screen?.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Going back to the early 1990's it used to be called the Potential Recruits Course (PRC). The course has evolved a good deal, there used to be gym tests 1 & 2, assault course, high obs, determination test and the 3 mile run was day two. The swim was an assessment rather than pass/fail. I think the pull-ups were introduced to ensure anyone slipping on the high obs was able to hold on long enough for the recovery rope to be used.

"freddie"

Former Royal Marines SNCO.
Reaction score
Even back in the dark ages of the 80's you used to have to crack enough chin ups at the AFCO before they'd start your application. the Chin ups on PRC were part of the USMC (like a bleep test type affair with exercises) test if a recall correctly 18 being the max. ;)

GazMMM

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I remember it being the PRC I’m sure. I’ve a certificate somewhere from the week. ‘Physical superior ‘ I think ? Top of the course with another bloke. Has anyone got the old course program ? Sunday too Thursday.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Has anyone got the old course program ?
I'll be meeting up soon with a friend who did his PRMC (or whatever it was called then) in 1994. He's still serving. I'll pick his brains.

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I did mine in the summer of 1988. A little hazy now but I recall day 1 was arrive, admin and draw kit. Day 2 was the 3 miler or at least should have been but the extremely funny pti decided the 1st 1.5 miles was a warm up so we ended up doing 4.5 total. Seem to recall gym tests pretty much straight after. No bleep test but a very vigorous warm up then press ups, sit ups and pull ups. Sorry but mins/maxes I can’t remember. Swim in the afternoon was very sedate, jump off the high board, tread water and swim a few lengths.

Day 3 I’m sure started with high ropes course. I may have got it the wrong way round but we definitely had a blast around that and then assault course. Introduction to each obstacle then best effort run. I may be wrong but I don’t think we had the determination test as such, I know we did drags, carries and pays to be a winner but I don’t recall it being as prolonged as it’s described now. We did get introduced to the 30ft rope climb and regains which was interesting and largely enjoyable. Endurance course in the afternoon, I recall it as all done in a single run rather than the added pays to be a winner and crawls etc that seem to be done now. Vivid memory was the pti who lead it holding out a pick axe and shovel like some medieval weapon system! After the course we ran back to camp, seem to recall this was the absolute hang out part

Final day I think we had interviews, definitely recall more than 1 then given the decision. Happily I passed but ultimately after all that joined the police instead!