Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRMC nerves

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by AlphaSierra, Oct 18, 2016.

1. AlphaSierra

AlphaSierra Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Right lads, not sure if this is the right place to put this thread but it's PRMC related and it should be a decent talking point.

Before we start off I'm going to say getting both nervous and excited in the weeks/days leading to PRMC is completely healthy and natural.

Now when I had my first PRMC back in mid July I was so excited to be getting to lympstone on my course. It was all I thought about for about 4 months. As I got to the days leading to PRMC I found myself getting so nervous and excited I would be up literally all night thinking about it. I thought it was all part of it and when I would get to the platform on the day everything would be alright and I would focus from that point.

On the day of PRMC I got to the platform at CTC and my nerves just wouldn't go. I got settled in on the night but was still weary of the Wednesday. I found myself the last lad up still up at 11:30 thinking and wondering how it would pan out. At about 12:15 (and without any fingernails) I managed to get to sleep.

Filled with excitement and still, very nervous I was the first lad up at about 04:50 done the usual morning routine and had scran. The lads I was down with could tell I was thinking about things too much. The nerves just wouldn't go no matter what.

Anyway onto the BFT and done the first half at the usual pace. We had a minute break and my legs were shaking slightly. Then we set off for the second half of the run. Everyone was sprinting in the first 400m strip you lads know how it is on that skinny bit at the start haha (free for all) but I found myself losing pace and my legs just didn't feel like they were mine I generally just forgot how to use them properly. Ended up adding 30 seconds on my usual time (09:00) so I got about 09:30/40.

From what had happened on the BFT I was now worried about the whole thing and overthinking things still. I was thinking about my legs and wether they would get me through the bleep test and if my legs weren't working properly then what would my strength be like on rmfa?!

In the gym tests I managed to scrape the bleep (11.6) but was majorly disappointed that I couldn't get my usual 12.2.
    I just wrapped and my mind got the better of me! In the gym! I got 39 press ups and got pulled off for form on my sit ups (36)
    Pull ups I needed 11 for a pass but slipped off the beam on 6. That was it for me. A fail. I was made to stand in the 'circle of shame' in the centre of the gym which was totally degrading but I new why I failed and it's for one simple reason- I chewed myself up. I over thought things. My mind got the better of me because maybe it meant so so much to me.

I have my next course on 15th November so my advice to any lads going down soon is- don't think about things too much. In heighsight it's selection for the marines and it's a test. A hard one but it's a test every marine and recruit has to go through. Just like the pjft.

My attitude towards the PRMC now has changed completely since my first attempt.

Lads I can't stress to you enough how much I regret overthinking things. Try not to get too nervous. Your there so smash it.

Good luck to you all. Questions are welcome.

• Like Like x 10
  2. superman6

superman6 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Good luck mate

• Like Like x 1
  3. AlphaSierra

AlphaSierra Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cheers mate

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

A very good account of the psychological aspects that affects some more than others on prmc.

It really is a State of Mind and anyone that claims not to be nervous either doesn't understand the full significance of the course or is telling porkies.

At the same time, it's possible to be too over-analytical with the mental aspect actually affecting your physical achievements.

A few years back I was on a selection course and one of the people with me had the jitters, big time. So much so, he voiced his anxieties and this actually had a knock-on effect inasmuch we began to feed off each others insecurities. It became contageous, much like fear, which is best left unspoken at the point in which is felt. Fortunately for me, despite it affecting my performance, I passed. He didn't unfortunately.

The selection course? Not the SAS, the ultra elite Naval Careers Service ;)

• Like Like x 9
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Look back at your times from your last PRMC and they're good. You will be affected by nerves and from what I read most applicants underachieve on the day.

My advice, for what it's worth, is for each test that you successfully pass, no matter how it compares with your usual times at home, congratulate yourself and move on to the next one. Get Wednesday out of the way and you can then concentrate on Thursday, which is a State of Mind.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, I think this is an area often over-looked.

I get the impression that many people go on PRMC expecting the legendary "adrenalin rush" to help them achieve 'personal bests' across the board. Whilst the fear of failure can certainly improve achievements in some areas, lack of physical fitness and preparedness for the course will not make the body over-achieve to reach the pass standards in all eligibility criteria disciplines.

• Like Like x 2
  7. AlphaSierra

AlphaSierra Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thank you for the reply ninja! See you at the next RMAD so you can tell me about that story!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. AlphaSierra

AlphaSierra Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I agree with everything you say there!
    Cheers mate, I'll let you know how I get on.

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Trust me, there aren't enough hours in the day to encompass the recounting of all the deeds of covert, Top Secret daring-do one encounters as a recruiter :)

'He Who Cares, Rodders, He Who Cares.....'

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

I always used to suffer from nerves too, I think lack of confidence had a lot to do with it? I didn't really believe in myself. I found that preparation and education was the key! Find out every last detail of what your aspirating to be, talk to people who have gone before you. Look at videos on YouTube. Do everything you possibly can to inform yourself about every single eventuality.

Then prepare by focusing your efforts into training properly and specifically for the task in hand with.

Dedication
    Motivation
    Perseverance
    Consistency

I think if you do everything you can, in your preparation to convince yourself you can pass, the chances of doing well are very high. It's all about shifting the odds to your favour, in your own mind. Once the mind believes, the body will do anything!!

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  11. AlphaSierra

AlphaSierra Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    100% believe learning helps. Knowing what your in store for on Thursday is a big one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheRegain

TheRegain Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Nerves arnt a bad thing if you use it wisely, it can help add extra energy, try and use that energy to help you not hinder you, its easy to let your thoughts run away with you when you are nervous about something, rein them in and dont let them get the best of you, try to remain focased and on the task that is at hand, and youll be fine..

I like being nervous it shows I'm have a worry about the thing I'm doing, that tells me i care about what I'm doing ,

• Like Like x 2
  13. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    As a person who does a lot of public speaking and various group projects with complete strangers I always have this fear that I will forget how to speak or move my body. The fear leaves me once I begin but I get so obsessed with this fear that I start drowning everything out and can only think about forgetting how to speak. Pain in the backside.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AlphaSierra

AlphaSierra Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah mate, that's what I said at the start feeling a big of excitement and nervousness is fine but I was at a point way, way past that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I was like that when I first started in the role of firefighting instructor about six years after the Falklands conflict. There I was, a young Petty Officer (Sergeant equivalent) lecturing guys far more experienced and senior in rank to me, about how they should conduct firefighting operations.

To make it worse, I spoke with a broad Scouse accent, fifty to the dozen, and was lecturing to predominantly Scots and Geordies who couldn't understand a word I was babbling on about and vice versa.

What I eventually realised was that no-one in that classroom knew more about that particular subject than me at that point in time. Reason? 7P's.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Todd123

Todd123 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Do they let you know how many pull ups you need for a pass? If your other scores were on the low side that is..

17. AlphaSierra

AlphaSierra Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Yeah mate, they usually give you a second chance on the pull ups and let you know how many you need to carry on with the course as I slipped off on 6 they thought I wouldn't get 11 (what I needed) so they never let me do it. :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Todd123

Todd123 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I didn't know they did this so it's worth knowing!

I'm hoping to not need it though with a bit of luck!

19. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

Apart from getting 'into it', with another lad on my prmc, I throughly enjoyed it.

Everything is alien to you and daunting but just enjoy it and smile as much as you can.

Remember that humour in the face of adversity is one of the four principles of the commando ethos (the most important if you want to win the CM on pass out ;))

The training team will be watching each potential recruit very closely..

20. d3v

d3v Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Especially when your in the showers

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3