Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

PRMC PASS 18-21st Feb 2020

Discussion in 'PRMC Diaries' started by Decapitari_G, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Decapitari_G

Decapitari_G Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi everyone,

I passed my PRMC last week Friday and thought I should share my experience. Just to give a bit of context, it has been 1 year since I filled out my application to PRMC. Over the past year, I have had to appeal a PMU status due to a slight back injury but nevertheless, didn't give up and continued my training. This forum massively helped me overcome that challenge so I want to say thank you for all those who advised and helped.

Day 1 (Arrival - Tuesday)
    Arrive at CTC RM and headed over to the accommodation. Kit for the week gets issued, boots get collected and polished. Once everyone is there the Duty Corporal will address the course on what is to come, what is expected, and all the detailed times for the day. My tip here would be to ensure that you don't arrive last minute and to start working as a team with the other lads or gals. The kit room gets pretty messy so grab a few people and tidy it up. It will help later on as you don't want to be tidying this up all night. I genuinely don't think anyone slept on Tuesday night due to nerves etc. This is normal but make sure you get stuck in with the others, get to know them, be polite and respectful to everyone. I found that this helped me settle in quicker. The Duty Corporal will show you everything (galley, where to shower and where to go etc) so don't worry and make sure you eat.

Day 2 (RMFA & Swim Test - Wednesday)
    Wake up at 5:15. Some people were waking up at 5am and some even at 4:30 which is mental. You don't need to do this. Reveillere is 5:30 and you have plenty of time to shower, shave, go toilet, eat and clean up the accommodation. After this, we did some cleaning and headed over to the gym. Plenty of time to digest the food. Just make sure you have a hearty breakfast. I had a full English plus porridge. In the gym, we went through the usual. Bleep test (first), press-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups. In the gym, do not scratch, do not fidget and when the staff tells you to do something please do as fast as you can. You don't want to do extra exercise as doing the tests are already quite tasking. Also, do come prepared. We lost a few people as they couldn't get the minimum on the bleep test. There were others who were trying to game the system by saving energy. I do not recommend this strategy. Give your all on every task and don't give up until the gym instructor tells you to stop. With the new point system, every point, rep counts towards your final score.
    After the gym, we showered, did some cleaning and had lunch. After an hour or so, we did our 3 miler. Again, this is something that you should have practiced. Lost 2 more guys here and one even tried to lie about their time. He got caught out and sent home immediately. I do not understand why someone would lie but there you go. Integrity is one of the values that the military and commandos aspire to and if you lie about a run time you're just stupid and perhaps a career in the military isn't for you. Funny story, after the first 1.5 mile we were told that we had 2mins to do whatever. I then decided to go pee in the stream and literally 30 seconds later the PTI said to line up ready to do the 1.5 return. Stopping midway through and doing the 1.5 best effort return was challenging to say the least.
    After that, we got a set of clean clothes and headed over to the gym to conduct the swim test. This consisted of jumping off the board, swim and retrieving the brick. Last time I did this, I didn't enjoy it but practiced it many times and found it much more enjoyable. Training does pay off! Some lads did find this hard but no one failed this. We had some lectures after this too and food etc. That is literally day 1 over.

Day 3(Bottomfield/Endurance Course - Thursday)
    Same as the day before, wake up around 5:25-5:30, shower, shave, toilet and have a hearty breakfast. After changing into our kit we were quickly moved to bottom field. It was a cold, wet and windy day I must add. The first thing we had to do was the confidence at the heights test. The instructors gave us a run-through on how to traverse the ropes and how to correctly tackle each obstacle. I initially couldn't get on as my hands were slipping but used the ropes to finally get on and slither myself along the rope. I found this task quite enjoyable and quite easy. I just looked forward and did exactly what the instructor said. The next obstacle was high obs which is located next to the 30ft ropes. I didn't think I would struggle as much as I did on this one but when the wind and rain is blowing in your face, the task became harder. Nonetheless, I completed this task as best as I could. I was made to run across the planks 3 times as I wasn't doing it fast enough.
    After that, we moved onto a tutorial on how to approach the assault course. After going through each one, we then had to do a timed run through. We lost a few more lads on this one. I am guessing due to the muddy and wet conditions, the monkey bars and other obstacles were very slippery. Seeing this, I focused on composure and technique because if you fell off you would lose precious seconds as you would have had to do it again. It was genuinely a lung burner, well for me anyway. I just about scraped the required time at 4mins 36s. Some lads got lower than this but because they didn't get enough points on day 1, they were pulled off. After this, we did the determination tests. This consisted of duck walks and all sorts of good physical exercise. My advice here is to just not quit. Easier said than done I know, but it does end. I kept telling myself that and before you know it, it ended. Once, this was done, we headed back to the accommodation and did a quick turn around to get into a new set of kit and eat, ready for the endurance course.
    For me, the endurance course should be the determination test as everyone that was left was fragged. We took the coach to the endurance course and the instructor explained what was going to happen. Off we went. As I said before, it was cold, wet and windy so, the staff ensured that morale was kept high by getting us wet and muddy from the get-go. After some crawling on stones to toughen us up, we went to peter's pool. This was cold and genuinely felt the family jewels go back into my body. This was good prep because soon after we had to do the sheep dip. For me, this was quite nerve-wracking because we had to be submerged in ice-cold water and relying on others to pull you through the tunnel. That said, I had some good lads with me so it was very quick. Just try and relax and trust your guys. I did my best to make sure I did the same and get my guy out there as fast as I could. After a few more determination tests, pays to be a winner and some grappling, cramp started to set in both hamstrings. It was at this point, I thought I wasn't going to make it as I was falling back and was scared that I was *text deleted* get pulled off. From there, I remembered my training and focused on keeping good technique with my running. This seemed to make the cramping less painful and allowed me to carry on. Also, I am a determined little fella so I just endured it. I made sure that at any given opportunity I made my way towards the front just in case something happened which would cause me to drop behind the pack. I am guessing we were there for maybe 1-2hrs and before I knew it, we were back at the coach again... On my first PRMC we had to run back to camp but this time we got the coach which was amazing. Once we got back, we squared ourselves away and the spirit was high.

Day 4 (Passing & Leaving - Friday)
    Same detail as the last few days, wake up 5:30, shower, shave, breakfast. We then did lots of cleaning and admin to make sure we would leave on time. However, as this wasn't part of the detail and didn't get to the landing on time we got extra press-ups. Bending and stretching. This was our fault sure. After that, we had personal interviews and got told where to improve on and that's when we got told whether we passed or not. To wrap things up, we had a lecture by the chief instructor who then handed out our certificates. After collecting our certificates we packed up and went home. I had a good group of lads so we went to the pub to have a few celebratory drinks. Initially, we started with 29 and ended up with 14.

My scores:
    Bleep 11.5
    Press 54
    Sits 64
    Pulls 7
    1.5 return (9:38)
    Bottom field (4:36)

PM me if you have any questions and on a side note - come with some funny jokes as the PRMC staff will ask!

• Like Like x 7
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. kimbo96

kimbo96 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Good effort passing mate, good luck with training up to and at RT :)

Did you run quicker 1.5 mile return times during training than the one you got at prmc?

3. Milkwood

Milkwood New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Well done and thanks for the diary. My son failed his 1st PRMC due to fidgeting and extra phys, he didn’t manage the bleep test! He has worked and trained really hard to ensure, if given extra phys, he’ll still manage the bleep!!
    He’s back soon to do his 2nd attempt.

4. Decapitari_G

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Leading up to this PRMC, I was getting about 10mins return at home. Therefore, I was faster for PRMC. That said, during my training, I was getting 9:30 and then got ill for about a month then had my PRMC. I think that you will be faster because it's a test and you will chasing people and people will want to overtake you. I hope that makes sense? Also, I need to piss really badly which affected my run times.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Charlemagne

Charlemagne Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Well done mate! You sound like you've got plenty determination.
    If you could go back and add anything into your training after having done PRMC to better prepare yourself, what would it be? Or alternatively, what do you think your training programme did well that you would recommend to others?

6. Decapitari_G

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Best of luck to him and make sure he doesn't fidget or scratch in the gym this time round

7. Milkwood

Milkwood New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks, he was warned before he went last time, I hope he has learned his lesson!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Decapitari_G

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Some good questions here. I'd say I'll practice more on pull-ups (this was odd as I normally get 10-11), include hill sprints and short sprints in general. Perhaps focus on sit ups and maybe throw in a practice bleep test.
    Other than that nothing else. Those are the areas where I need to focus on the most.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  9. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

Good luck to you.You will have a career for life should you want it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Good effort. Good luck in recruit training.