PRMC Points explained

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Ninja_Stoker, May 28, 2017.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Due to popular request, the following pdf outlines the current points scheme which is already "out there" on social media, as we are aware.

Before scrutinising "minimums" be aware that far from adrenalin kicking-in on your PRMC, the truth is that anyone hoping to scrape a pass by barely reaching a pass grade in any one discipline will find the statistics heavily against them. If you can only achieve a minimum pass score in any of the criteria elements prior to attending, the advice is to defer PRMC until you know you can at least achieve, in the same day:
    • A sub ten minute return run (1.5 miles) on the 3 mile outdoor run
    • 40-60 close-arm press-ups (perfect form) in two minutes
    • 60-80 Correct form sit-ups in two minutes
    • 4-8 Correct form pull-ups in two minutes (without gurning)
    • 66+ Metre swim
    Please do not think: "It'll be alright on the day and I've got three goes anyway..."

It pays to be a winner. Trust me.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Don't mean to be picky @Ninja_Stoker, but the sub 10 minute run should be 1.5 miles! The guys will be going into meltdown at the thought of running around 3.40 miles!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Tsk, picky or what ? :)

Cheers Alan - corrected.

• Like Like x 1
  4. aiker123

aiker123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Has the RMFA now changed from the going to the beep to most in 2 minutes?

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. Lurch

Lurch Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thank you for posting this, it's a great help. One thing though on the PDF, I'm not sure if I'm just not reading them right or I just don't understand them but the Assault Course times look back to front.

6. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

The way I'm reading it is that if you get round in under 3.20 you'll get maximum points. 4.05 to 5 mins means that you get minimum points.

Sounds right to me!

Alan

7. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    When I looked at the minimum standards changing, I was worried PRMC was becoming easier, obviously for me this was a good thing initially getting into RT, but it sets a bad precedent for the long term of the corps.

However, looking at the scoring system, to achieve a pass is still extremely difficult and requiring serious prep to get to that standard, which is very reassuring, whilst slightly harrowing...

It feels reading the criteria, that its harder to scrape through and pass PRMC than when the points added up to 400. I was only about 20 points below passing when I went to Lympstone for a Look at Life, and I'm no where near the standard required in the criteria shown, but due to the way the points worked it played to my strengths.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Looking at those scoring systems if running is your strongest point wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people look at those points and think if I max out the bft and vo2 test they'd be on 10 points and would only require 6+ points on the last 4 tests.

I know this is the wrong approach and should never go for the minimum regardless but if someone was trying to save energy for the bottom field and endurance course would look at that and think if I get 2 points on the press/sit/pull-ups would then only need to finish the course and would pass the prmc.

Reason I say this someone might be able to max out everything but really struggle on pull ups and only do 2 and fail the course due to not reaching the minimum so might just go for enough points in pressups and sit-ups to stop themselves fatiguing ready for the pull ups due to not bein much rest in between those tests.

Not the best way of looking at it I know and will probly get stick for thinking that way but if you can get an advantage by doing it and helping you out on the course wouldn't blame people for thinking that way.

9. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Trust me mate. Trying to calculate your points when your down there just wont happen. The intensity will simply take over. Besides, the training team will ping you if your not giving 100% and will be watching you for the remainder

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Spot on. Don't over think it.

Those attending PRMC in the belief they can scrape a pass, simply won't pass. It's 100% best effort throughout.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Clumsy

Clumsy Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    @Ninja_Stoker are press-ups, sit-ups and pull-ups no longer to the bleep?

12. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

Welcome back ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ninja_Stoker

They are still to the bleep and the timing of the bleep is to achieve the upper number possible in each discipline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  14. Clumsy

Clumsy Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thank you

15. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Its a better scoring system than previous criteria I:E level 11 or Above and your out on the bleep. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses! And this new system allows the prmc TT to look at lads more holistically! It's the same scoring system as was used before really. Which I like, because your more likely to strive for a "grade A" than get above a points level which doesn't really mean much.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ballista

Ballista Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I don't really see that to be honest mate, it would be a lot easier just to get 3 points in all the tests rather than try to max the cardio. An 8:15 bft and a 13+ point Vo2 is a lot harder to achieve than 12 pull ups or 50 press ups in my mind. If anything it would be the other way round to what you said.

17. that guy 27

that guy 27 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Is the points chart still correct?

18. Ninja_Stoker

Probably not, it changes quite regularly.

There are several schools of thought on the subject, but the general consensus is that once you are on PRMC, points are irrelevant as it's as much about mental fitness as physical fitness, particularly on day two.

The PRMC changes regularly. I noticed the RMFA came before the BFT this week and never even knew the high obstacle course was not part of PRMC at present.

The temptation for many is to naturally target minimums but no-one can afford to take that risk.

The Chief Instructor was chatting yesterday and said that very often people will tell him they were "having a bad day because I usually max-out on every element" when it is blatantly obvious they simply weren't.

19. that guy 27

that guy 27 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the quick reply

I want to be close to achieving as close as possible to maximum before I apply so if I do have a bad day I'd still smash it

I've ran more in the last week than o have the last 10 years!

20. Dizzle

Dizzle New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    As an example of why not to go for minimum scores my first attempt at prmc i achieved the bare minimum to get through to bottom field and i just simply was not fit enough to stay with the group which just added self doubt to my mind. when you're the last man and the training team start questioning you about why you're making the rest of the group do exercises for longer you do not feel good it is not a nice place to be, an even worse place to be is on the train 30 minutes later regretting your decision. nobody should want to do prmc twice luckily for me i sorted myself out and went back and tried for highest points in everything (didnt quite get them but i finished the course and start Rt on <onday).

Aim to max out everything, come first in pays to be a winner, show good attitude and give 100% at all times

• Like Like x 5