PRMC (R) Bristol Dec '15

Discussion in 'RMR Diaries' started by Grogsey, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Grogsey

Grogsey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Morning gents. I follow the forum religiously and have learnt allot from it so hopefully I can give a little back! I’ve just come back from my PRMCR down at Lympstone which I’m very happy to say I passed. Below is my version of events. I’ve tried to remember as much as possible but allot of it is a blur. Take it with a pinch of salt as each PRMCR seems to be different and if your unit HQ isn’t Bristol you won’t do it at Lympstone.

Friday

The detail for us was to meet at Lympstone for 20:45. We were then met by members of the team and showed the accommodation. There’s not much to say really for Friday we were issued kit and had a couple of briefs on the course. We didn’t end up getting our heads down until 12ish and for some reason me and several others barely slept a wink. Maybe a combination of nerves and listening to other lads rolling around on rickety beds contributed! I reckon I got an hour so be prepared for this lads!

Saturday

Up at 05:30 for a shave and a shower then down for scran. I knew we had a super busy day so I eat as much as I could. I had a fry up and a bowl of porridge. We only had an hour before the run so maybe this isn’t best advised but it worked for me. We then got changed into t shirt, shorts and trainers for the 3 miler. We were marched up to the top field where we had 3 PTIs waiting for us. Forgot to say there were 17 of us on the course. We then went into a vigorous warm up. DO NOT underestimate this lads it was quite intense. We began jogging in a circle with dynamic stretching, press-ups sit ups and squats and the pace gradually increased. We were then sprinting around the circle and then had to sprint to each corner of the field and back several times, probably 150m- 200m sprints at least 3-4 times. I would advise doing a thorough warm up before practicing criteria tests to get used to this lads as marines don’t do things fresh with 12 hours sleep! We then had to do 50 situps in 5 sets up 10 reps with a couple of seconds between sets. Then we done 5 pull ups to the PTIs shout of up and down. At this point two of the lads saw their breakfast again! All of this before the 3 miler so be prepared!

We then moved into the 3 mile run. This was a jog out as a troop pretty slowly which was nice recovery after the ‘warm up’ Then we got a minute rest and best effort back. This needs completing in less than 10 minutes 30. I came 4th out of 17 and later found I got 8.43 which I was happy with.

Next we marched back to camp for a shower and into smart civvies for interviews. These were fairly relaxed and were mainly about our commitments and motivations. I got asked a couple of questions about where the different units were so make sure you revise as you don’t want to look like you know nothing about the corps.

We then got changed into phys rig for the gym tests. The first of these was the bleep test. Lads make sure you practice this as I know allot of people have been caught out on it. Don’t practice it fresh you need to mirror the test you are going to do so practice it a couple hours after doing a 3 miler. For all exercises in the gym make sure your form is perfect, don’t cheat at home as your reps won’t be counted in the gym, you are watched like a hawk so do it properly. The press ups were first, body straight, arms shoulder width apart and tucked into your sides; lower yourself down to your mate’s fist and back up to the bleep. Next is sit ups, again to the bleep, keep your fingers on your temples at all times, elbows shoulders and head have to touch the mat then all the way up, bringing your elbows up to your knees. Last of all is pull ups, body rigid arms straight, bring yourself up with your chest to the bar, make sure your chin easily clears the bar or it won’t count. That’s it gym over, my scores were 12.9 bleep test, 51 press ups, 85 sit ups and 10 pull ups. I was fairly happy with these scores after already doing allot in the morning but be prepared that your scores may suffer, aim for the max and you won’t go far wrong.

We then went for a shower, back into civvies and I think we had a talk on filling in our pay chit form then went off for lunch; again I eat as much as I could as I knew what was coming next…

After lunch we got changed into boots and combats for the bottom field. This started with another vigorous warm up with plenty of sprints, press ups, sit ups and burpees. Then we moved over to the low ropes and were shown the correct technique of how to cross. Listen carefully to what the PTIs tell you, they are fantastic at explaining form and they don’t like you doing your own thing! We then moved over to the high obs which is climb up a ladder then cross a rope around 20 foot high, then climb over another barrier and you cross a plank about a foot wide around 25 foot in the air, then up another level and cross another rope which I believe is 30 foot high. I’m not going to lie I have a real fear of heights so this was the most challenging thing of the weekend for me. It can be done though, just grit your teeth listen to instructions and trust the PTIs know what they are talking about. I was made to go over the plank several times until I showed enough confidence. We repeated the high obs 3/4 times in total.

Next we were doing allot more sprints, burpees, press-ups, sit ups etc. The best form of training for this in my opinion is fintan circuits! It replicates bottom field well. We were then doing lots of different forms of drags and carries which were a killer on the legs and also trying to sprint while your oppo was holding onto you. Just dig deep lads and it will end. Lots of lads said this was the hardest part for them. Hill sprints and body weight squats will help with this.

We were then given a demo of each obstacle on the assault course by a PTI and then had to do 3 at a time to show we knew the technique, we had several sprints in between this to keep us warm and we were constantly jogging on the spot. Don’t stop moving on bottom field, you may cramp up and also get extra phys from the PTIs. We then had to do a timed run of the assault course at best effort in groups of 2,3 or 4. What I will say is just try to remember the correct technique or you will be made to do it again as I was for not landing on 2 feet after the swinging bridge. That was it bottom field done. A real hangout but perfectly doable if you put the work in before and give your all on the day, just hang in there.

Straight after bottom field we were marched to the swimming pool. For this we just had to jump off the high board feet first and swim one length. Nice and easy I was hoping for a few more lengths for abit of nice remedial phys but no such luck. I know some PRMCs are diving to get a brick from the deep end so be prepared for this.

That was it for the Saturday phys wise, we were then back at the accommodation for a shower and to get our kit ready for our ‘night out’. This is just a night under the bivvy on a field in camp. It’s fairly relaxed, you get shown how to cook rations and you do a sentry during the night. We were up at 5.30 to clear the area, pack all our kit away and cook ourselves some breakfast. I eat as much as I could again as I knew I would need it.

We were then driven in a mini bus to the final assessment of the weekend: the endurance course. If you have got this far you are fit enough, you just need to hang in there, it’s been said many times on here but it really is all in your head, try to approach it with a smile on your face and don’t feel sorry for yourself. Every marine has been through it and much much more. The endurance course is around 2 miles of obstacles. I think the first is 2 tunnels that you go through on hands and knees. Then run abit further onto peters pool. We got to play a game with the PTI of hide and seek, he would face the other way and when he turned we would have to hide in the pool. Naturally we had to repeat this as we didn’t hide for long enough the first time. After this you are running again at the speed of a gazelle to the next obstacle, the sheeps dip, when you get out of the water try to pat your pockets down as you will be holding allot of water. The sheep’s dip is done in threes, it’s a fully submerged under water tunnel but is only a couple of metres long. Your oppo hurls you through and another pulls you out the other end. After this it’s more running up a steep hill. My memory’s pretty blurry from this point but eventually we came to the smartie tunnels, they are 60 foot tunnels half full of water where you crawl through. Don’t panic just get it done, next its some more tunnels then more running for a while until the end of the endurance course. I think we had lost 3 lads by this point. We then set off again, it wasn’t hare and hounds as such but we were expected to stay at the PTIs fast pace. We came to the end of the lane and the mini buses were parked in front of us in the road! That was it job done, or so I thought until we were told we would be doing the run back. No problem I had come this far I wouldn’t be quitting now. I think it’s about 3 or 4 miles back from that point. The PTI set us at a 10 minute mile pace, pretty slow but your legs are blown by this point, just go to another place and it will soon be over. Think of how proud you will feel by completing it compared to your disappointment if you wrap.

We made it back and then just had to clean the accommodation and our boots, then had our leaving interviews. I’m not sure how many passed; I think 4 or 5 failed. We were told individually so can’t say for sure. Some lads were given a chance to do another one in January and some in March.

That’s pretty much it. I hope I haven’t bored you too much, I’ve tried to remember as much as possible but I’ve probably forgotten stuff. I will say it’s a very intense hard weekend but anyone can pass it with hard work. I don’t class myself as a really fit bloke by any means I just trained specifically for the tests I would do and was prepared to give everything to pass. Any questions fire away.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pumber21

Pumber21 Matelot

Well done mate! Good effort and good diary :) out of interest, for you, what made you choose RMR over regulars?

3. Grogsey

Grogsey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks mate! I was massively tempted to go for regulars but I am doing OK in my civvy career and I have a mortgage and commitments so I think the reserves will suit me better. If I pass out I will definitely look at doing a FTRS contract if there's one available and I can get leave from my job.

4. Pumber21

Pumber21 Matelot

Awesome :) sounds good bud! Nice one, from the people I know in the RMR they all say it's great and it is as close to 'best of both' as you can get! I start Navy RT really soon and just completed my PRNC so massive respect for cracking your PRMCr... I can really appreciate how difficult it must've been!!

Good luck with RT :)

5. Grogsey

Grogsey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks and good luck yourself!

6. Crash_Monkey

Crash_Monkey Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Well done mate! Good effort on cracking it, roll on March!