PRMC (R) Scotland & Tyne Nov '15

Discussion in 'RMR Diaries' started by Rojiblanco, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Rojiblanco

Rojiblanco Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I don't know if I'll do a diary as such as it's a bit of a blur now!

Not just that, but there was a few guys who had been on previous PRMC's and almost every one was different to the last. Ours was a bit more straightforward than others and structured around the phys elements more than anything else.

What I will do is a post with my observations and key things to know although most of that will have been said 100 times before on here.

They key thing for anyone looking for advice is:

Prepare for the tests. There's no excuse for failing the RMFA. The disciplines are available, the standards are published (the scorecard is on here) and there are 3 or 4 cheap ebooks available with plans for improving the 4 exercises. If you don't make the scores it's only because you haven't prepared. A few guys on mine didn't (one was on his second PRMC) and unless you get a weeks' notice or something you should be passing. Work on the technique to the beeps and try to get to the maximums.

Same with the BFT. Basically, take whatever running you currently do, double it and make one of your runs a speed session based on 400m repeats. Get your 5k time down to 20-22 mins, your 10k down to 40-45 mins and make sure you can run 10 miles comfortably. Get a few races in so you can gte used to pushing yourself in a crowd and holding a sustained pace.

Squat. Get some heavy squats & deadlifts down you. Build up to squatting at least your own bodyweight (i.e. if you weigh 70kg, squat a 20kg bar loaded with 5okg of weight). That will build up the musculo-skeletal strength to sustain you while running and to carry your oppos on the determination test. Squatting will also sort out your situps as it's great for core strength. Even duckwalks, wheelbarrow races, planks etc draw on strength built up from squatting. If you want to become a strong, robust, fit individual of the type the Royal Marines seek, you will squat and squat heavy. It's as simple as that *text deleted*.

The determination test, is 50% physical and 50% mental. That said, it draws on 100% of your physical ability and 100% of your mental strength.

Get some races under your belt if possible - especially obstacle races - and don't just bimble along like Sandra from accounts who's raising money for Donkeys in Tajikistan. Try and win the bastard thing. Smash every one with 100% effort and don't wrap. This helps foster your competitive spirit, gets you used to being cold and wet and teaches you to keep going at your own potential even when someone else is besting you. Obstacle races will also mimic the all-round fitness required of the RMFA/BFT and the Determination tests.

Get some circuits down you. Surely everyone has access to a gym which does classes or has a Britmilfit bootcamp nearby. Get to these and don't coast because your next to the fat civvy who's trying to lose his podge and is doing 8 press ups and using the sugar-coated dumbbells. Empty the tank. Aim to finish them with nothing left to give. Do Fintans to the letter.

Aside from fitness, don't be a biff. LISTEN TO DETAIL. If you are told to do something, do it exactly. If you are told to be somewhere, be there 5 minutes early. 5 minutes gabbing quietlyto your oppos in the rain is preferrable to drawing the training team's wrath. Take your water bottle (full) everywhere.

Listen intently whenever anyone from the training team talks. This is especially true during phys when failing to heed an instruction means bonus phys and thus the opportunity to earn even more bonus phys. If you aren't clear on something then ask politely using "staff" or their rank, if known. That said, if you already know the answer then don't ask the question.

Carry out all instructions to the speed of a particularly nippy beam of light.

Sort out your ability to form up in ranks/files quickly. Natural leaders will emerge and if this is you, sort the lads out quicksmart.

Get changed quickly - you'll be as clean as you ever have after your 7-8 showers but you'll routinely be given less than 10 mins to get showered, have a quick pre-match jobby and get your next rig on. This includes getting changed in the gym etc.

Shave every morning.

Show appropriate deference to the TT. Address them appropriately, take jokes in good spirit and don't backchat. Don't natter to your pals in their presence. You can't make them like you now matter how great a lad you are. You can only not get on their wrong side. That said, we had a great bunch of lads and the Major did praise us in his closing brief for the "lack of out and out *text deleted*" in our number.

All fairly basic stuff and said 100x on here elsewhere. Sadly there's no magic key to passing PRMC - a year or so of solid phys, the right attitude, good knowledge of the Corps and as much of a military bearing as you can muster will see you through.

Edit to say: I'm not an expert & don't pretend to be - this is what worked for me, how I perceived things and how I did them. The lads who did similar or had done similar all seemed to pass and not struggle.

• Like Like x 1
  2. prubdag

prubdag Member

Well done. What was the setup for this one, what did they have you doing on the Sunday?

3. Rojiblanco

Rojiblanco Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    On the sunday we did the swim test first then poolside circuits which was a fair workout.

Then we went straight outside and into the determination test. After a brief warm up it was team games & sprints then on to the hill to carry each other up & down then onto the field for a general monstering.

4. prubdag

prubdag Member

Thank you, but unfortunately I have more bone questions, yay!:D. What exactly did team games consist of, how steep/long was the hill and how long did it go on for? They haven't made you or any previous PRMC's, run the 3 miler in boots did they, as I know some units do? Finally, have all Scotland PRMC's been very different, or similar in structure? Thanks again ;)

5. R4Robotics

R4Robotics Spectator

Which other unit has done that?

6. prubdag

prubdag Member

Read on a recent RMR Merseyside prmc diary that they did it.

7. Rojiblanco

Rojiblanco Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

Team games involved carrying each other about a bit, linking arms & standing up, fighting in the press up position and other bits & bobs.

The hill isn't that steep & not too long. Long enough though!

No idea what goes on on PRMCs outside this one. As I say, it seems to change a bit from time to time.

No running in boots either.

8. blacky

blacky Member