PRMC same as RT????

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
i was just wondering, how hard is the PRMC exercise? is it just like RT but crammed into 3 days??? or do they push you harder or easier???

:applaus:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
This is a fairly common question & the answer is that the base level of fitness is expected to improve between PRMC and the start of Recruit Training.

The level of fitness in Recruit training starts off roughly similar to PRMC, but the intensity of each element of fitness is spread over a longer period initially than experienced on PRMC, as you all reach approximately the same level of stamina and fitness. The intensity & tempo of fitness swiftly increases incrementally throughout Recruit Training, far in excess of the initial PRMC intensity & fitness level.

mattieboyo

Reaction score
Hi guys...
Im new on here but....entered the marines in oct 2005 and opted out at week 13 ( biggest mistake ever)! Am currently in uni but have every intention of returning when i finish. When i did PRMC i did my PJFT in 9 mins 9 secs (could have gone a bit faster but thats all the treadmill would allow)! i got level 11.6 on the bleep test, 60 pressups (with a few more to spare) 80 situps relatively easy and 6 pullups at the push. The 3 mile run was relatively easy to do as well i found. However its not the actual exercises tested that hammer you its the warm-ups! As for the fitness level increasing from the start of recruit training...i actually found that mine decreased by week 9 gym passout (apprently alot of recruits fitness decreases slightly in training at that stage before it increases rapidly). This reflected in the pre gym passout exercises where we did the same tests...pressups, pull ups, situps and bleep test. However in PRMC where u just get down n bag them out...in RT at this point they are all done to recorded beeps and quite alot of us actually scored less than what we did on PRMC. Alot of the gym training in RT is circuit training based. either an IMFC or IMFS The amount of runs to that point were not that many from what i can recall! There was however a good amount of sprint work at the end of each gym session and camp circuits during the session! weeks 10 to 13 were then mainly field based at straight point ranges doing marksmanship, a few speed marches but nuthin major. I came out completely for the wrong reasons..you will be knackered...more than what u r on PRMC due to admin work etc in the nights, however u get used to it, just dig out blind n dont feel sorry for yourself and its all good! As for PRMC work to achieve MORE than the required amount for each exercise so that yopu can complete the exercises to a good standard and remember they are looking for quality, if they see you wrapping they will deduct! Bleep test...get it on your ipod and do it! 3 mile run, practice practice practice..but do short intense runs, medium distance steady/fartlek runs and long endurance runs too, with a bit of anaerobic work ie sprints etc once or twice a week. The assualt course..well nuthing can really prepare u for the warm up they give you or the actual exercise they just beast the *text deleted**text deleted* outts u for a bit! and alot of people wrap at that point and they gym session is basically a hardcore circuit class with sum sprints at the end decided to test u to the max! if *text deleted* still there at that point and uve been scoring well and havnt given up theres a good chance uve passed! If u pass PRMC id say u should be able to make it reasonably well to week 9 of RT provided u have maintained a good fitness level. Hope this helps.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Some good advice there from someone who has experienced it.

Do you reach a stage when you can surpass your PRMC fitness though? I have often heard that in training after a certain period of time you may actually be performing less than you could when you started. I imagine this is because you are doing phys what, five times a week without rest? Also lack of slap and all the other stuff will bring your fitness down.

But it should surpass your PRMC fitness at some point? Also what is the longest run you will do that is not part of the commando tests?