Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRMC swim test

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by MEfan19, Jul 10, 2019.

1. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Just want a few details cleared up about the swimming test.

1. To retrieve the brick from the bottom of the pool, is this done after 100 meters of swimming or midway and is the starting position from treading water or a dive from the edge of the pool?

2. How many attempts do you get from the aforementioned test?^

3. Does the swimming test basically begin from the jump off the 3 meter board?

2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

You will need to jump off the 3-metre diving platform and complete four 50m lengths of breaststroke without any pauses, and pick up a rubber brick from the bottom of the deep end. If you struggle with any part of the assessment, you will be considered a weak swimmer and be advised on how to improve ahead of Basic Training.

Quoted from

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/career...ges-and-standards/royal-marines-commando/prmc

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just to add to the link by @Johnny_Anonie it has been known for candidates to fail the swimming test. Depending on circumstances some candidates have in the past been sent home for swimming lessons and training before returning several months later to CTCRM in order to complete and pass only the swim test rather than retaking the entire PRMC.

Confidence in the water is as important as swimming ability. Often overlooked by some who attempt to cuff the test because they last swam when they were aged twelve. :)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. TheRubberDagger

TheRubberDagger Royal Marines Commando

When training for any military swim test do not worry about speed, just get in the water and practice doing each requirement as efficiently as you can.

Make sure you get over any instinct to refuse to jump of the board. Google parachute jump training for the general idea. Essentially don’t think, just do.

5. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    My concern is the brick retrieval. I simulated it partially at my pool. After about 100m of breast stroke swimming i went to the 2m end and tried to retrieve my goggles. But I can barely see a few feet in front of me without the goggles and felt desperate for air even though I wasn't that tired. So I struggled to say the least.

6. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

I love the breaststroke me! Safeguard!!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Enter the word 'brick' into the forum search box and you'll find advice, comment and suggestions about technique.

8. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheRubberDagger

The first rule of relaxing when bobbing under is to move slowly.

And practice. You’ll crack it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks for the tip!

Just while I'm here, I have another sort of weird question. Do many guys drop off PRMC or RT because they're like me and are abnormally warm and sweat...A LOT?

11. TheRubberDagger

Is that a joke?

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. MEfan19

MEfan19 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    No. (I felt it might sound stupid)

But I only ask because I've heard of guys collapsing (and occasionally dying) from heat exhaustion or dehydration while on training . And my profuse sweating is something everyone around me has expressed concern over.

13. TheRubberDagger

Best of luck.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The thing to bear in mind about the brick retrieval is that it is conducted not just after the swim, but also after a three mile run, bleep test and the Royal Marines Fitness Assessment earlier that same day.

If you are a weak swimmer, then the answer is to ask a swimming coach to help you develop your swimming style and to train by undertaking a 3 mile run before a swim.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  15. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Breaststroke...

16. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

I think you need to stop flapping, there is a difference between sweating and dying.

If you are that concerned go and ask your doctor.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    This might not work for everyone, but what I found worked for me when I was trying to increase the time I stayed underwater to do a specific task was to do it in a kind of building block fashion. I used bottles and rocks but theres not much point when the task is retrieving a brick, however you could change it to suit the brick task:

Start by just diving and touching the brick, then come back up for air. Do that a few times until you're confident

Then dive, pick up the brick and drop it (or you could bring it back up if you're so inclined at this stage) before coming back up for air. Repeat until confident.

Then do the whole thing, dive and pick up and this time hold onto the brick while coming up for air.

Quite long winded but its worth a go if you're struggling the same way I did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  18. TheRubberDagger

You need to learn to be relaxed and calm under the water. You need to train your mind that being underwater isn’t always automatically dangerous.
    Most strokes, when done correctly, require your face/head being underwater at points. Instead of focusing on this brick malarkey you need to practice being less skittish for now. Considering you are worried you may sweat to death, I’d suggest you have some confidence building to work on. So to do this, at first in the shallow end, try putting your head under the water while holding your breath. If you like bob right under and kneel on the bottom. Do this for 10-20 seconds, then increase the time.

When you feel comfortable with that, try moving around underwater, nice and slowly. Work out which motions are the most effective for movement. When you are comfortable with this try heading to deeper water. Learn to walk before you run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Rover

Rover Moderator

Whilst underwater do not try and breathe!;)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  20. TheRubberDagger

And remember what the late VDH said “sharks only attack when you are wet!!” :D