Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PRMC - Swimming?

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by Witherden, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Witherden

Witherden New Member

Is part of the PRMC to be able to swim? or did i hear that wrong...

2. westy

westy Well-Known Member

It's not a test but you do have to pass the battle swim test. It is also good cardio and worth having swimming lessons prior to the course

3. Adam.126

Adam.126 New Member

mate all you have to do on prmc in terms of swimming.
    if jump off the board. breast stroke to one end of the pool, then back again, then get your self out with no assistance from people or the ladder. this is in swimming trunks by the way. good luck

4. Witherden

Witherden New Member

just breast stroke or can you front crawl it?

5. Gtlaau

Gtlaau New Member

You jump off a diving board about 2-3 metres high. then you will proceed to swim breaststroke about 3-35m for 1 length, then you swim the width of the pool, then you swim 1 length back and climb out. you are swimming around 60-80 metres maybe all up, breastroke. You are not timed. that just want to see
    what your ability is.

6. Adam.126

Adam.126 New Member

everyone does breast stroke mate because its the easy thing to do. dont try and make a name for yourself by swimming front crawl or the butter fly in a world record time they are not interested.

7. Witherden

Witherden New Member

hahaa, yeah but i dont like breast stroke so boring :)

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

To date, I don't think I've ever seen anyone in Recruit Training complete the Battle Swim, fully kitted, using front crawl or butterfly stroke.

It'd be interesting to watch.

9. Impreza

Impreza New Member

Trust me, mate.

When I did lifeguard training in just trousers and a long sleeved T-Shirt; swimming becomes very tiresome.

They advise you to do breast stroke as it's a very calm stroke. Front crawl is for speed and cutting through the water.
    When you're carrying an unconscious body, with the weight of their clothes and yours, probably amounting to the same weight as full kit, you soon realise that front crawl is practically impossible.

10. stokey_14

stokey_14 Moderator

Is it not also done breast stroke to stop splashing? If I was in water in a combat situation the last thing I'd want to do is alert folks I was there, hardly a strong fighting platform! Plus I seem to lose all my strength when I get into water anyways, not a water baby by any means... That?s why I chose the Amphibious troops of the British armed forces... good logic or what haha

Stokey

11. Witherden

Witherden New Member

I see, thanks. Best be getting down to the pool then :)