PRMC vs ROP

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I've read from a few sources and speaking to guys who have been in ROP that the numbers of people leaving before the 28 days point is quite high and it's only a handful of injuries included in that number.

Not sure if it's correct but a chap told me recently they didn't have enough candidates to join mainstream training due to guys leaving that the ones who were left at to restart ROP from the beginning as it wasn't financially viable to let start RT.

Do you get kit issued in ROP and wouldn't that be another financial point if it has to be destroyed as I presume each recruit would need to write their information on it.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I've read from a few sources and speaking to guys who have been in ROP that the numbers of people leaving before the 28 days point is quite high and it's only a handful of injuries included in that number.
The phys in ROP is sub-maximal. Anecdotal feedback from reliable sources indicate that reasons for leaving in the earliest stages include lack of maturity and unrealistic expectations.

I never did PRMC because I was in another service and it hadn't been invented in the 1970s anyway. But I will go out on a limb and suggest that basically all anyone in ROP is required to do is to keep their bed space tidy and be at the correct location at the correct time and wearing the correct rig.

Inevitably some will struggle with even this. Such individuals are unlikely to be offered a transfer option for obvious reasons.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score

Not sure if it's correct but a chap told me recently they didn't have enough candidates to join mainstream training due to guys leaving that the ones who were left at to restart ROP from the beginning as it wasn't financially viable to let start RT.

Do you get kit issued in ROP and wouldn't that be another financial point if it has to be destroyed as I presume each recruit would need to write their information on it.

Mate, the amount of kit at CTC that has about 5 different names crossed out is quite funny. They're not going to 'destroy' kit just because some muppet has used it for one exercise and decided to chit it

Oldtimer

Reaction score
The phys in ROP is sub-maximal. Anecdotal feedback from reliable sources indicate that reasons for leaving in the earliest stages include lack of maturity and unrealistic expectations.

I never did PRMC because I was in another service and it hadn't been invented in the 1970s anyway. But I will go out on a limb and suggest that basically all anyone in ROP is required to do is to keep their bed space tidy and be at the correct location at the correct time and wearing the correct rig.

Inevitably some will struggle with even this. Such individuals are unlikely to be offered a transfer option for obvious reasons.
I've read it is quite more in depth than that as you'll be doing weapon lessons and they'll expect you to be able to clean and strip/reassemble weapon, accommodation and locker inspections, core history, drill sessions, field admin for the first exercise.

That's what I've been told anyway from reliable sources.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Mate, the amount of kit at CTC that has about 5 different names crossed out is quite funny. They're not going to 'destroy' kit just because some muppet has used it for one exercise and decided to chit it
So all of your clothing has multiple names on it, that must be very irritating when searching for it when it is in a dry room after you've washed it or an inspection when I've heard that lockers get thrown out.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

The only items that would be destroyed is items of hygiene, like socks or clothing that’s had skin contact.

The equipment and webbing is totally fine to pass on.

I never had a brand new Bergen in training, or webbing. The amount of recycled kit is perfectly fine.

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So all of your clothing has multiple names on it, that must be very irritating when searching for it when it is in a dry room after you've washed it or an inspection when I've heard that lockers get thrown out.
You can sew a name tag in if you really want too?
everyone in my troop had new clothes but not sure about ROP. If you don’t get new rig when starting ROP then when you start actual RT you can exchange any item of clothing at stores for a new one. Faded pcs was the main reason

Rob20

Reaction score

Ah didn't realise you meant clothing. No, clothing will be fresh out the packet and easy to exchange.

Trying to find your rig in a full drying room or when everyones kit has been empty is all part of the fun.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Ah didn't realise you meant clothing. No, clothing will be fresh out the packet and easy to exchange.

Trying to find your rig in a full drying room or when everyones kit has been empty is all part of the fun.
I would of thought so, my point was regarding the amount it costs per recruit financially to give them clothing etc for those 4 weeks but it to be not useable once the recruit decides to quit.

I've been told that the figure from the last few ROPs is that well over 25% of recruits leave due to their own choice.

EmLouWat

Reaction score
I would of thought so, my point was regarding the amount it costs per recruit financially to give them clothing etc for those 4 weeks but it to be not useable once the recruit decides to quit.

I've been told that the figure from the last few ROPs is that well over 25% of recruits leave due to their own choice.
My son started his ROP in October 2020 and 25% did indeed leave through own choice

Oldtimer

Reaction score
My son started his ROP in October 2020 and 25% did indeed leave through own choice
Good to know my sources are correct and unfortunately it seems 25% is a minimum figure but a lot more do leave once the next few exercises commence once in to mainstream.

How did your son find ROP and going in to training?

EmLouWat

Reaction score
Good to know my sources are correct and unfortunately it seems 25% is a minimum figure but a lot more do leave once the next few exercises commence once in to mainstream.

How did your son find ROP and going in to training?
He really enjoyed ROP ('enjoyed' might be pushing it a bit) but it certainly helped having that gradual exposure to Marine life.
He did exercise First Knight just before Xmas and then came home on leave and was itching to get back down after Xmas to start mainstream training. He has just last week passed phase 1 (baptist run) - he was very emotional last week as knew he desperately wanted to pass BR and not have to be back trooped and do all the exercises again (they did Marshall Star in the minus 10 degrees and he said it was brutal!)
Phoned me on Thursday night very tearful - some elements of the training are obviously really overwhelming. Its a rollercoaster.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
He really enjoyed ROP ('enjoyed' might be pushing it a bit) but it certainly helped having that gradual exposure to Marine life.
He did exercise First Knight just before Xmas and then came home on leave and was itching to get back down after Xmas to start mainstream training. He has just last week passed phase 1 (baptist run) - he was very emotional last week as knew he desperately wanted to pass BR and not have to be back trooped and do all the exercises again (they did Marshall Star in the minus 10 degrees and he said it was brutal!)
Phoned me on Thursday night very tearful - some elements of the training are obviously really overwhelming. Its a rollercoaster.
You must very proud of him and he has some determination and courage to stick it out with that cold weather when so many would have taken the easy option.

How old is he if you don't mind me asking?, it seems the general consensus that training is pretty awful up until Phase 2 and that's when more recruits start to enjoy it.

EmLouWat

Reaction score
He is 20.
We are really proud of him. I honestly didn't believe he had the mental ability to stick it out. He said he is really looking forward to Phase 2.
Out of the 80 that started in his ROP there are only 15 of the original troop. Some back trooped and others left.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
He is 20.
We are really proud of him. I honestly didn't believe he had the mental ability to stick it out. He said he is really looking forward to Phase 2.
Out of the 80 that started in his ROP there are only 15 of the original troop. Some back trooped and others left.
Great achievement at that age to get to this point, that's quite a number of recruits leaving and being back trooped.

Not long till Easter leave if I'm correct so he should get some restbite then.

Rob20

Reaction score

Yes there are costs. But when the navy has bought two new aircraft carriers I think its fair to expect a few pairs of socks for the new lads from stores.

Either way, don't concern yourself with the politics of navy spending. Its irrelevant and none of our views will make a blind bit of difference anyway

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Yes there are costs. But when the navy has bought two new aircraft carriers I think its fair to expect a few pairs of socks for the new lads from stores.

Either way, don't concern yourself with the politics of navy spending. Its irrelevant and none of our views will make a blind bit of difference anyway
Very true but there is no harm in a healthy debate among applicants about the processes which take place.

Being able to discuss and listen to other peoples views or observations on the recruitment process will only benefit future recruits who use this forum.

Rob20

Reaction score
Very true but there is no harm in a healthy debate among applicants about the processes which take place.

Being able to discuss and listen to other peoples views or observations on the recruitment process will only benefit future recruits who use this forum.

Funding for ROP has nothing to do with the recruitment process. Its all just background white noise.

Id save your energy to focus on other things that make a difference. Nobody cares where the kit comes from aslong as its available

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Funding for ROP has nothing to do with the recruitment process. Its all just background white noise.

Id save your energy to focus on other things that make a difference. Nobody cares where the kit comes from aslong as its available
But I would assume if kit isn't able to be reused after a recruit leaves ROP that cost would be incorporated in the total amount from what it takes the from sending of the application online to completing CAA.

It would be ridiculous not to account for the amount as i would assume decisions that are made higher up the chain of command would solely be based on how much money vs how many recruits join mainstream training.

Just adding my input to the forum that's all.

New Threads