Problem

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
lo lads...

i have a real problem with running at the moment, just before i go for a run i get really nervous and the butterfly feeling. When i'm actualy out running i pray to god noones about because everytime i see someone i just want to stop and walk, this has just affected my run tonight because there were lots of people about so instead i just walked around the block and came home...

I think it's because of all the groups of teens and nutters that hang about on the roads/paths, you never know what they're going to do when you run past them... and old people think i'm up too no good.. ( but that barely bothers me )

You all seem to just get on with it and not worry about these things.. and i have no idea how you do it. I feel really *text deleted**text deleted* now because i had a terrible run wednesday and no run today because of this.. i so badly just want to be able to run.. when walking i always feel like bursting into one but i can't because i'm worried about what people are going to think/do.. i'm fine on the treadmill because everyone around me is doing the same thing. I can't recall the last time i have seen someone running the streets the 10 years i have lived here..

This is getting me down now and i feel like a complete failure..i don't know if getting up at 6:30 to run will eliminate half the idiots on the streetss.... sorry for the lifestory lads but i feel *text deleted**text deleted* and im going to go have a shower...

RH

Reaction score
Felt exactly the same mate.
What i do now tho is i run early in the mornings about 5.30am 4 times a week.
No ones about.
All the little chuffin chavs are tucked up in bed.
Bobs your uncle fannys your aunt =]
Give it a go mate - although getting up is a nightmare u feel tonnes better after it.

We all suffer set backs mate some through injury, some through nerves etc buts its how we deal with them that makes us who we are. They wont be saying things to you once youve got the green beret on your noggin.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Could join a running club? Could cyle to some woods or something like a local park if you have one near by?

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Felt exactly the same mate.
What i do now tho is i run early in the mornings about 5.30am 4 times a week.
No ones about.
All the little chuffin chavs are tucked up in bed.
Bobs your uncle fannys your aunt =]
Give it a go mate - although getting up is a nightmare u feel tonnes better after it.

We all suffer set backs mate some through injury, some through nerves etc buts its how we deal with them that makes us who we are. They wont be saying things to you once youve got the green beret on your noggin.

What time do you get your head down? i can never sleep until about 2am and struggle to get up at 9 for college *text deleted*/

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Could join a running club? Could cyle to some woods or something like a local park if you have one near by?

Don't think there is any running clubs around here, though i'm probably wrong. I'm not too social either. I have about 20+ miles of beach where i am so i guess if i was up at 6:30 and cycled down the beach, i might find other runners..

southerncomfort

Reaction score
Hey Buddy,

I suffer the same sleep pattern although my late nights are due to babies teething :-(
As rich said getting up is a complete biatch but the bonus is there is nobody around so you can run in peace plus once your up and done you feel a lot better and ready for the day.
Its hard to start with but you soon get into the pattern and it will more than likely help you get to sleep earlier once you get into that routine..

All the best matey

RH

Reaction score
What time do you get your head down? i can never sleep until about 2am and struggle to get up at 9 for college *text deleted*/

Usually about 12 ish mate sometimes earlier. You'll probably find tho that if you get up early you'll be knackered by about 10 the following night which should make you get to sleep quicker. I know by about 10ish im shattered from getting up earlier, having a 6 hour school day plus gym or exercises at home. For the first few days of getting up early its a real timothy tester on your commitment and motivation but after the first week your body clock will re adjust and it will become part of your routine like brushing your teeth and having a shower.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hey dude with regards to feeling nervous just befor a run, well your not alone. and when i first started my training i was really nervous befor going out running always woundering "what if people are about, what will they say or do" etc..

but i looked at it this way

"well obviously everyone else is just to damn lazy to run around here" for the problem of never seeing anyone run

and for the problem about comments
Yes you do get comments when running, everyone does, i get comments from chavs and old biddys all the time. some chavs say run boy ruuuun and laugh and think its funny, others just watch you run past and wait till you get far enough away from them so they feel comfortable to shout out some random annoying comment at you, and i love going out on a really cold stormy night for a run in shorts and t-shirt and hearing chavs under the bus shelter say "*text deleted*ing nutter".

but i learnt to just find them funny and always thought "well they can make fun as much as they want but at the end of the day im going to be the one getting all the girls because im mature enough to not hang around on a bus stop drinking one can of beer and thinking im a hard as nails and drunk and that i workout enough to not get fat and at least im doing something with my life" but of course i just dont say anything and they soon shut up and i carry along my merry way.

and today when i was doing hill reps i got a comment from an old lady saying "so how many times do you have to run up and down here then?" so i told her and she said "ooo looks likes he's going to be doign some sort of marathon then" to her friend.

basically the nervs will be with you at the start but you have to just try your hardest to block it out and remember your doing it for your self gain not for personal image, you will soon get people commenting you on your fitness level in a good way if not already.
but i know its easier said than done but if you push past this in your mind its one more thing to say to your AFCO officer in your interview.

p.s. try doing a type of running your comfortable with, for example i do hill reps because i feel i will look stupid if do interval training and i suddenly go from a sprint to a walk.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah your right regarding the sleeping pattern, when i was up at 7:30 for work i would be shattered by about 9

There would be alot of plusses for me if i was to run mornings. One i probably feel better, Two less people about, Three i do alot of gaming on the pc at night so that wouldn't be disturbed :p

But it's all good saying it... i'll have to get myself an alarm *text deleted*. Right ok, Sunday i'm going to bike up to my nans for lunch, she lives just by the beach 3 miles up so i can get an idea of a route to use.. and i'll give it a shot monday, thanks alot all, more comments welcome!

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey dude with regards to feeling nervous just befor a run, well your not alone. and when i first started my training i was really nervous befor going out running always woundering "what if people are about, what will they say or do" etc..

but i looked at it this way

"well obviously everyone else is just to damn lazy to run around here" for the problem of never seeing anyone run

and for the problem about comments
Yes you do get comments when running, everyone does, i get comments from chavs and old biddys all the time. some chavs say run boy ruuuun and laugh and think its funny, others just watch you run past and wait till you get far enough away from them so they feel comfortable to shout out some random annoying comment at you, and i love going out on a really cold stormy night for a run in shorts and t-shirt and hearing chavs under the bus shelter say "*text deleted*ing nutter".

but i learnt to just find them funny and always thought "well they can make fun as much as they want but at the end of the day im going to be the one getting all the girls because im mature enough to not hang around on a bus stop drinking one can of beer and thinking im a hard as nails and drunk and that i workout enough to not get fat and at least im doing something with my life" but of course i just dont say anything and they soon shut up and i carry along my merry way.

and today when i was doing hill reps i got a comment from an old lady saying "so how many times do you have to run up and down here then?" so i told her and she said "ooo looks likes he's going to be doign some sort of marathon then" to her friend.

basically the nervs will be with you at the start but you have to just try your hardest to block it out and remember your doing it for your self gain not for personal image, you will soon get people commenting you on your fitness level in a good way if not already.
but i know its easier said than done but if you push past this in your mind its one more thing to say to your AFCO officer in your interview.

p.s. try doing a type of running your comfortable with, for example i do hill reps because i feel i will look stupid if do interval training and i suddenly go from a sprint to a walk.

Thats great advice ZZ, as you said it's easier said than done, and for some reason i'm not too worried about what people think when it's pissing down with rain, i feel great infact when im running in bad weather..i am a little overweight so i guess that doesn't help my confidence..
i'm going to give early running a try and see how i get on.

Quick question lads, as i understand you shouldn't run first thing in the morning unless you've eaten before you sleep? is this correct? if so what would be a good small meal to eat before i sleep so i have energy in the morning?

Mat

Reaction score
I know it can seem daunting and you dont really know what to expect when your not used to it, ive not had many problems with my running in this regard but I can understand how difficult it can be. I only had a slight feeling of anticipation before my first run and that was overshadowed by the fact I was actually excited to be doing it so I just opened the door and went for it.

My suggestion is to find your self a park or a route you can run, and go early in the morning on the weekends when you know everyone is either asleep or too hungover to be wandering the streets and then just start running, after a couple of times doing this you will feel a lot more confident in your running that you wont really care if anyone walks past, I seem to have the effect that when I get up for a run in my park (which is luckly just over the road from me) all the people up walking their dogs end up clearing off and I get the whole place to myself *text deleted* I obviously look a bit odd.

The only real way to overcome it is to go for it and get used to it, if you have a friend or training buddy you might find that will help as we always feel better when we are with others. Then eventually you will get used to it, its nothing to feel down about.

As for the food thing, well I wake up at 5.30am and drink some water then warm up and run but I make sure im eating breakfast by 7am. Usually the night before I have something small at around 9pm and so far ive not had any problems so I think you would be fine so long as your not running a mini marathon.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the response.

It's not getting out of the door thats holding me back, i have the motivation to run. It's just when i'm actualy running, sometimes i can handle it and just block out stuff but other times i can't and end up walking because i feel like a tit, *text deleted*. But yeah i'm dedicating next week to getting up at 6:30 ( just got an alarm clock from argos. ) After a week of getting up at 6:30 i'll start running again =]

M

MTW

i usually go running when it starts to get dark mate, i live in the city centre so lots of people around, but im not the smallest person in the world so i dont tend to get any stupid chavs voicing their opinion, but since i started hill sprints and fartlek im usualy completely hanging out most of the time, not up for doin that in daylight *text deleted*

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
you can always go running with hoody on and keep your head down so you cant see anyone, its the typical if i cant see you then you cant see me *text deleted* =P

M

MTW

you can always go running with hoody on and keep your head down so you cant see anyone, its the typical if i cant see you then you cant see me *text deleted* =P

another wierd thing for me like that is, when i go out without my mp3 player i feel like people can see me again, i think an mp3 player helps to get you in your own little world where your invisible *text deleted*, sounds nuts but worked for me *text deleted*

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i never get problems wih other lads ( 6"3 15st ;) but i get dirty looks and that puts me off *text deleted*

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
The only thing that gets me down when I'm out running is the racing snakes that zoom past me. But I usually just laugh at their lycra shorts.

I used to think more or less the same as you, but I realised something - by thinking of what I thought when I saw someone running, and talking to other people. People look at you, and you may think they're thinking, "Look at that guy out running, idiot!", but they're actually thinking "I wish I could get off my arse long enough to go out running."

Mat

Reaction score
No worries Mason, I always look like a tit running around the park. But ive now got used it, after a few morning runs and thinking about why your running and such im sure the nerves will fade away pretty quickly.

Being a pretty small guy (okay im tiny! 5'6") I tended to get a few comments from chavs at the start but then they just got used to seeing me running about the place and now days all I get is encouragement *text deleted*

AdmiralAwesome's advice is pretty good I reckon, most of the people looking at you probably wish they had the guts to even manage a quick jog so try to remember it.

Waking up early will definitely help, I wake up early so its still pretty dark and there is only a handful of people on the streets... in fact I think its a bit too dark since I nearly ran into a bush this morning :doh: thankfully no one saw!

Creed

Reaction score
Don't worry about people looking at you or w/e just ignore them
bring an mp3 player with you or something keep your mind off of them

ask yourself this if i can't run in public how could i run with other Recruits and Corporal's etc around you.

you shouldn't care what random people think your running for a reason to become a Royal Marine which they won't understand.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted**text deleted* it really, best advice I reckon is just do it, ignore them - end of the day your training to be a ROYAL MARINES COMMANDO, theyre not, they are just being *text deleted**text deleted*s.
To be honest I feel like a tit more when Im dressed in running stuff and walking, like when doing some training, like 3 sets of 1800m, and stopped when I finished the first one and was walking about recovering (3minute rest) when people walked past I thought, theyre *text deleted* think Im well unfit and cant keep running lolz. Had one women go to me "oo overdone have we?" felt like telling her to *text deleted**text deleted* off, instead just nodded and let her get on with it oblivious to what I was actually doing.